June 6, 2019
I recently had a chance to speak to a wonderful crowd of personal wealth management experts at the Raymond James conference in Las Vegas. During my talk, I covered both basic and advanced tactics to enhance longevity, and the talk was also recorded for your listening pleasure here.
In this episode, you'll learn…
-Clues from the animal kingdom about our own longevity…9:45
- Lobsters have high activity of the telomerase enzyme (prevents telomeres from shortening rapidly)
- Naked mole rats have robust protein folding mechanisms
- Hummingbirds have extremely high metabolism; produce a high amount of endogenous antioxidants which extends their lives
- Tortoises' internal organs do not degrade as rapidly as the rest of its body
- The Immortal Jellyfish: Sinks to the bottom of the ocean when it dies and renews its life
- Humans do not tap into their longevity potential due to their deleterious lifestyle
-The 12 characteristics of “Blue Zones” and how they relate to longevity…
- Blue Zones by Dan Buettner
- Air quality in your environment [17:15]
- We're bombarded with air pollution
- 150,000 cases of diabetes directly related to air pollution
- Allerair air filters
- Molekule (use code: BEN)
- It's possible to begin reversing lung damage from smoking within 12 months
- Full spectrum antioxidants
- Wild plants, herbs, and spices [20:32]
- Hormesis: Things that are bad for you in large amounts can strengthen your body's stress resilience in small amounts
- Plants have built-in defense mechanisms
- Book: The Plant Paradox by Dr. Steven Gundry
- Plants cause gut damage to those with existing gut damage (leaky gut, dysbiosis, etc.)
- Book: Eating on the Wild Side by Joe Robinson
- Avoid processed food [24:45]
- Two ingredients commonly found in processed “healthy” food: vegetable oil and sugar
- Two things to track:
- Glycemic variability w/ Dexcom G6
- High amount of legumes [28:50]
- Rinsing and sprouting
- Legumes are a low glycemic index food
- Slow carbs
- A slice of bread can spike your sugar higher than a candy bar
- Low-level physical activity throughout the day [34:50]
- You don't see cross fit regimens in blue zones
- Gyms are a product of the post-industrial era
- Natural ways to exercise are walking, chopping wood, outdoor activities
- Standing work station
- Treadmill work station
- Design your lifestyle so that the gym is an option, not a necessity
- Strenuous gym activity will not improve your longevity
- Social engagement [38:25]
- Podcast: The Hidden Health Epidemic Nobody is Talking About
- It's impossible to simulate face to face interaction in a digital format
- Use the Internet as a means of facilitating F2F contact, not trying to simulate it (meetup.com)
- Drink healthy forms of alcohol [40:55]
- Ben's cocktail: Gin or vodka, on the rocks, wedge of lemon, and house bitters
- FitVine Wine (discount code: GREENFIELD10 for 10% off)
- Podcast: Todd White of Dry Farm Wines
- Alcohol is toxic, but while too much can be harmful, a little bit can be efficacious
- Calorie restriction and fasting [44:15]
- Long time between meals, your body up-regulates cellular autophagy (cleanup of cellular debris in your body)
- Intermittent fasting allows you to derive benefits of fasting without calorie restriction
- The Longevity Diet by Dr. Valter Longo
- Ben's fasting protocol:
- Quarterly 5 day period of calorie restriction
- Daily intermittent fast
- Monthly: Dinner to dinner fast
- Strong life purpose [48:05]
- Have a reason you exist, a mission statement, you can clearly articulate to yourself and others regardless of your circumstances
- My podcast with Mastin Kipp
- Claim Your Power: A 40-Day Journey to Dissolve the Hidden Blocks that Keep You Stuck and Finally Thrive in Your Unique Life's Purpose
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
- Low amounts of stress [50:40]
- Go for the low hanging fruit (natural stress relief) before using technology
- Our breath (prana) is a natural stress relief
- Box breathing
- Alternate nostril breathing
- 4-7-8 breathing
- Spiritual discipline and belief in a higher power [53:12]
- Believe we're more than blobs floating through the air, seeing who can accumulate the most trophies
- Physical intimacy [55:30]
- Nature doesn't want to keep organisms that aren't useful to its propagation
- Having sex regularly sends a message to Nature that you want to propagate the Earth
-Advanced biohacking practices people are using on top of those already mentioned…57:35
- Hormesis via hyperoxygenation (hyperbaric chamber)
- Hormesis via EWOT (exercise with oxygen therapy)
- Cryotherapy chamber
- Full spectrum infrared sauna (Clearlight)
- UVA/UVB radiation
- Calorie restriction pneumatics
- Ketone esters
- Insulin stabilizing herbs and spices
- Sirtuin activating compounds (stacs)
- Stem cells
- V cells
- Foods that can enhance your own stem cell production
- Chlorella (Use code: BEN to save 10%)
- Aloe vera
- Coffeeberry fruit extract
- Ben Greenfield's ultimate anti-aging smoothie
- Mitochondrial support
- Water and Wellness Hydrogen-rich water (enter code: GREENFIELD at checkout and get 10% off)
- TA 65
- TAM 818
-And much more…
Click here to visit Bioreset Medical for getting your peptides – they have now become Ben's trusted source for the highest-quality peptides.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
– Book: The End of Alzheimer's by Dale Bredesen
– Book: Blue Zones by Dan Buettner
– Book: The Plant Paradox by Dr. Steven Gundry
– Book: Eating on the Wild Side by Joe Robinson
– Book: The Longevity Diet by Dr. Valter Longo
– Book: Claim Your Power: A 40-Day Journey to Dissolve the Hidden Blocks that Keep You Stuck and Finally Thrive in Your Unique Life's Purpose
– Book: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
– Ben Greenfield's ultimate anti-aging smoothie
– BPC-157 Get the oral version of BPC-157 by Dr. Seeds. Use code: BEN for 15% off.
– Fish oil
– Water and Wellness Hydrogen-rich water (enter code: GREENFIELD at checkout and get 10% off)
– TA 65
– TAM 818
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BGF10.
–Vuori: Activewear and athletic clothing for ultimate performance. Vuori is built to move and sweat in, yet designed with a West Coast aesthetic that transitions effortlessly into everyday life. Receive 25% off your first order when you use the link Vuoriclothing.com/Ben
–Policy Genius: Whether you’re an insurance expert or a newbie, Policygenius created a website that makes it easy for you to compare quotes, get advice, and get covered.
11 thoughts on “Ben Greenfield’s Top Anti-Aging Tactics: Basic & Ancestral Strategies To Enhance Longevity.”
I have born in one of the main blue zones in the world. Sardigna, in Italy.
I actually think that one of the main link to the long lifespan in the blue zones is another, in this areas (I speak for Sardinia but same is true for Okinawa for example) people are “little”, more “little” than usual, and shorter than usual. People from Okinawa are shorter than others in Japan, and people from Sardinia are shorter than average people in Italy. And usually the older ones (100 y.o. and plus) are (at least in Sardinia) short even for the average Sardinians. Same with people from Okinawa (“The statistics show that with an average height of 5-foot-2, Okinawans are shorter than most Japanese”).
Many many years ago, in school in Sardinia, I even remember some studies linking the two factors.
Factor that I don’t see been taken into account, but that probably is the main important to cause the phenomenon.
Plus, I personally know some of these very old people, and first, not a lot of Sardinians are so old even with the same diet and lifestyle (and many people die from cancer even in Sardinia) and the oldest have nothing more than the others in their lifestyle except to be especially “little”. Some very old women are 4’9′ – 5’2′ (is very common for women to be 5’2 in Sardinian). Btw in Sardinia you can see this slow aging also in young people. I personally know many that, at the age of 35-38, look still 25 from an outsider eye.
So, in the end, I really don’t think that you will see so many results just copying the diet and lifestyle of the old ladies in Sardinia.
From Sardinia is all.
Thank you for the attention.
You are doing an incredible job Ben, looking forward for more from you. Especially with peptide and the new anti aging discoveries you are starting to talk about. Thank you for your work.
Great podcast!! What are your thoughts on NR vs NMN?
I would love to get your thoughts on longevity practices by age group. Have you put out any articles, resources or podcast about what people of different age groups should be doing or supplements they should be taking to promote longevity? As a 23 year old male, what are the things I should be focusing on to promote longevity? While I’m sure a lot of similarities exist, I would imagine what I should be doing is going to be different than what a 45 or 55 year old male should be doing?
Is there a reason that you did not mention restriction of animal protein as being common to all the blue zone groups? Gundry makes a big deal about this
I've discussed it a number of times in other podcasts, along with the benefits of eating nose to tail, rather than only consuming muscle meat.
Ben, be careful about the stem cells injections. The fibroblasts what you are receiving instead the stem cells may create in your body tumors. Do the research on the books of S.V Saveliev ( the Cerebral Sorting, The poverty of the Brain, the Origin of human brain, ect) soviet- Russian neurobiologist that exposes the scam of the stem cells. Ask Jack Kruse may be he has some of his books translated in English
Have any links to his work?
Are the visuals you referenced in this Vegas talk available please?
If i have been dealing with Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) and have been trying to get off/reduce use of Opiods (oxycodone) is there a certain CBD product that would help with the pain/nerve pain in my leg and help get off Opiods?
Mike C., maybe look into Kratom, many people use it to get off opioids, Ben has mentioned it on previous podcasts, I use Happy Hippo Herbals and his guest uses Urban Ice Organics, also, some dietary changes can help with inflammation such as Keto or carnivore, hope you find relief!
Did you link to your breath work article?