I'm a Twitter junkie.
I'm constantly skewering my favorite and most useful fitness and nutrition articles, research and resources and posting them to my Ben Greenfield Twitter account. From shattering exercise myths to releasing news flashes on new dietary aids, I keep you informed on everything fitness-related.
Heck, on my birthday (tomorrow), I'm even giving away some cool prizes to anybody who is following me on Twitter.
But today, I want to give you 2011's “Top 100 Most Popular Tweets” – the creme de la creme of what I posted.
I make every possible attempt to give you information you're not going to find other places, and provide non-run-of-the-mill advice. So here you go:
100. Good reason not to drink the night after a workout: http://tinyurl.com/6q2qq5d
99. Another good short elliptical trainer workout – 10×30 second max efforts w/ 20 plank taps after each: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEiCLHYwyQ
98. When you lift weights, the fitness “stays with” you longer than when you do endurance: http://tinyurl.com/6p9oy7x
97. Many times “bad knees” are just muscle imbalances. I had bad knees for a year. Turns out it was tight hamstrings.
96. Very cool way to match up your iTunes music library to your running or cycling rpm: http://www.potionfactory.com/tangerine/
95. Cold shower or cold bath regularly could help you boost your levels of metabolism boosting brown fat.
94. New exercise: Drop to squat position w/ back straight. Touch R elbow 2 L knee. Then touch L elbow 2 R knee. Repeat much.
93. Aspirin not only unnecessary, but also harmful: http://tinyurl.com/boa7d52
92. Good reason to teach your kids impulse control: http://tinyurl.com/dbeop2
91. Have eye floaters? Antioxidants may help: http://tinyurl.com/7o7gv9a
90. Fun presentation summarizing exercise science research in 2011: http://tinyurl.com/7k9rpvh
89. Pretty straightforward – best way to run faster is to increase cadence: http://tinyurl.com/7ebwr3a
88. Exercise kills more firefighters than fires – a reason to introduce good nutrition to firehouses? http://tinyurl.com/6mh4btf
87. Interesting study – compression socks help during the recovery phases of an interval workout: http://tinyurl.com/7hr939w
86. Protein rich meals are better than sugar rich meals at improving “wakefulness”: http://tinyurl.com/7znxj2b
85. Complete protein combos: Legumes Seeds, Legumes Nuts, Legumes Grains.
84. Love the way this fitness/diet article finishes: “Go Wild!”: http://tinyurl.com/7ycy9zx
83. Marathoning didn't seem to mess up the hearts of these women: http://tinyurl.com/7r7gwno
82. Good presentation on barefoot running: http://tinyurl.com/893tp3r
81. Depressed? Exercise: http://tinyurl.com/7pnb49p
80. I'm not Paleo per se, but this is good proof you can eat that way on a budget: http://tinyurl.com/86k7jsg
79. Yet another reasons for runners to lift weights as they age: http://tinyurl.com/84ogjr6
78. Realistic NYTimes article about why more people don't run: http://tinyurl.com/75j8yj5
77. For 3 weeks after blood donation, peak aerobic power is lower, but it doesn't seem to matter for performance: http://tinyurl.com/843gke7
76. This study says for 4-6 hours after finishing exercise do 0.8 g·kg·h carbs with 0.4 g·kg·h protein. A lot of food! http://tinyurl.com/79a58o9
75. Would love to see antioxidant review like this actually look at hardcore athletes/antioxidant intake: http://tinyurl.com/7qud8pr
74. Apparently using a Wii Fit for 3 months really doesn¹t do much for your fitness: http://tinyurl.com/6mfopcw
73. Sports, testosterone, fitness: usually better when 2nd finger shorter than 4th finger… http://tinyurl.com/7zsn7e7
72. Going to shoot a turkey this weekend. Gonna do seminar on how we do healthy Thanksgiving meal prep at http://tinyurl.com/24bjjjh
71. Why you need to be careful with too much coffee: http://www.pacificfit.net/coffee.php
70. Good article about why aerobic training is bad (be sure to read follow-up article at bottom of page): http://tinyurl.com/3pcf4nd
69. Great read to help you understand fitness/diet/medical studies better: http://tinyurl.com/7ezs6nx
68. And once again, we find out those exercise bracelets don't really work: http://tinyurl.com/72uvgc6
67. Google “Burzynski, the movie”. Watched it last week. Amazing if big pharma, medicine & cancer interest you.
66. Higher carb intake during race means = performance in Ironman races: http://tinyurl.com/cogwn6n
65. What do you think? Do we have a “set point” for exercise? http://tinyurl.com/3pwmlbt
64. “…if you keep using it, you'll we well into middle age before losing it…”: http://tinyurl.com/43dfzl5
63. Probiotics don't really build up your good bacteria: http://tinyurl.com/cmmc5p6
62. What was the healthiest handout “candy” you saw this Halloween?
61. Limit Halloween candy blood sugar damage: keep your kids moving.
60. Compression socks maybe CAN improve performance? http://tinyurl.com/7n44eyj
59. I've always taught performance in tennis, soccer, football,etc. don't need aerobics. But this study suggests otherwise: http://tinyurl.com/7ysw4ez
58. FYI, proteins and fats do NOT slow the absorption of carbohydrates. Only fiber does that.
57. Very good insight on the new “Forks Over Knives” movie: http://tinyurl.com/3pb5b3d
56. Very interesting. In same way that eating bad can change genetics, training can do it too: http://tinyurl.com/7co9jej
55. This is yet another example of how exercise makes you smarter: http://tinyurl.com/84fdydz
54. Another feather in the cap of drinking beet juice: http://tinyurl.com/cfyrzov
53. Big doses of protein are BETTER for muscle building than small doses but WORSE for overall health. Decisions, decisions.
52. Raisins just as good as jelly beans for up to 2hr mark of cycling: http://tinyurl.com/7rq32fo (watch fiber for longer efforts)
51. People are getting dumber. Here's what you can do about it: http://tinyurl.com/82gh33n
50. Here's a great post about timing the rear part of your swim stroke: http://tinyurl.com/7pzfwof
49. Attention Gatorade: top Ethiopian runners don't consume many fluids or electrolytes before or during their training runs. Go figure.
48. A “little extra fat” as u age may not help u after all: http://tinyurl.com/6dr2ezn
47. Red meat increases diabetes risk? Maybe-but was it highly processed & what was it consumed with (i.e. Buns?) http://tinyurl.com/6wyluht
46. Ice baths help more with high intensity exercise than eccentric exercise, like weight training: http://tinyurl.com/78wnxu4
45. Try this high intensity cardio workout: 4-7 all out 30sec sprints each w/ 3 min rest (if rest is too long u didn't go hard enuf)
44. Had a blood test recently? Ignore total cholesterol. Look at TG:HDL ratio instead. Goal is 2 or less.
43. Trying to put on muscle & still look “ripped”? Use 3:1 ratio: bulk for 3 months, “cut” for 1
42. Attention marathoners: adjusted for body size, your heart is as big & strong as a Strongman competitor: http://tinyurl.com/79n487e
41. Vitamin A deficiency can make Vitamin D toxic. U can order Vit A test at directlabs.com. No prescription needed.
40. More evidence that “spot reduction” doesn't work for your abs: http://tinyurl.com/3futxrd
39. If you're having trouble getting motivated to exercise, you could be stuck in a negative feedback loop: http://tinyurl.com/6wlpoyr
38. 1 can of sardines in olive oil can give the average person 1/2 your daily protein needs.
37. These “static stretching don't help cycling” studies should try a 100 mile ride instead of 30 minutes: http://tinyurl.com/7olnvr3
36. Weight training as simple as slowly lowered leg extensions & leg curls can make u better runner: http://tinyurl.com/7x5uysy
35. If you're trying to get fitter and you can “talk” while exercising, you may want to go harder: http://tinyurl.com/7sz8of4
34. When it comes to exercising hard, you've always got just a little bit extra left inside you: http://tinyurl.com/6vhhjom
33. Good article to read before you “try anything” with a sports med doc to get an injury better: http://tinyurl.com/3wkz2yv
32. Would be interesting to see this study with the “body cooling” compression gear: http://tinyurl.com/bmhuqzc
31. Move, people, move and “vigorously”: http://tinyurl.com/43pmdd3
30. Mentally fatigued? It's going to decrease performance, but caffeine can reverse that: http://tinyurl.com/3rf2y4v
29. Having a hard time getting motivated to work out? Nothing works like competition: http://tinyurl.com/84njs4z
28. Decent evidence to get there 5 days early if you're traveling for competition: http://tinyurl.com/43kegag
27. If you're getting really stressed out about trying to run at 90rpm this is a good article: http://tinyurl.com/4xkwd6x
26. Attn: raw foodists…maybe cooking food is not all bad. ;) http://vimeo.com/10763241
25. Hooray! Vibration training reduces body fat! And doesn¹t hold a candle to actual exercise: http://tinyurl.com/7p5j5nk
24. Always be careful with sugar based diet studies: in this 1, people were eating 30% pure sugar! http://tinyurl.com/75fn74b
23. Final paragraph in this article is an excellent summary of why we should treat obesity like we do asthma: http://www.drsharma.ca
22. Want to wear what I wore in the Half Ironman World Championships? Get your own (clean) version: http://tinyurl.com/755exlk
21. Shorter intervals at higher intensities will get you fitter faster: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21522072
20. The “omega 6 to omega 3” ratio advice may be a BIT more theoretical than you think: http://tinyurl.com/7knmvan
19. More good evidence that weight loss diet should not be a religion & many methods work: http://tinyurl.com/77m35tv
18. Something to think about when you run barefoot-it could actually cause MORE damage on grass than on asphalt: http://tinyurl.com/6ao8j5v
17. Eating to build muscle? Better to have lots of protein all at once than to split it into smaller portions: http://tinyurl.com/3qtzzhk
16. Yet another feather in the cap of circuit training giving you more fitness bang for your buck: http://tinyurl.com/bukzrvv
15. Be willing to accept the risk of a heart arrhythmia if you're competing in intense endurance sports: http://tinyurl.com/bmuqng8
14. New exercise: Drop to squat position w/ back straight. Touch R elbow 2 Lknee. Then touch L elbow 2 R knee. Repeat much.
13. Cold shower or cold bath regularly could help you boost your levels of metabolism boosting brown fat.
12. Very cool way to match up your iTunes music library to your running or cycling rpm: http://www.potionfactory.com/tangerine/
11. Many times “bad knees” are just muscle imbalances. I had bad knees for a year. Turns out it was tight hamstrings.
10. When you lift weights, the fitness “stays with” you longer than when you do endurance: http://tinyurl.com/6p9oy7x
9. Another good short elliptical trainer workout – 10×30 second max efforts w/ 20 plank taps after each: http://tinyurl.com/6wy6tyt
8. This is why you shouldn't lift weights a few days before a race: http://tinyurl.com/7anusas
7. Very interesting article. Sometimes NOT planning your weekly workout routine has benefits: http://tinyurl.com/42ajycd
6. Contrary to popular belief, stretching doesn't really slow down female endurance runners: http://tinyurl.com/7x2qfnv
5. This series of letters makes good case for just drinking good ol beet juice instead of wasting $ on nitric oxide: http://tinyurl.com/87dgkmz
4. Weak feet? Here's what to do about it: http://tinyurl.com/bnmvxb6
3. Why not to take ibuprofen while running (or training): http://tinyurl.com/btnt39x
2. This is good advice. Your butt & back will give you nice abs if you train them: http://tinyurl.com/42x2vmh
1. This is the gum I chew. I order a big canister every month: http://tinyurl.com/6vhoedv
So, what do you think? Do you have anything else you'd like to see me posting on my Ben Greenfield Twitter account?
If so, let me know in the comments section below.