September 3, 2019
I actually dig Twitter.
I use it primarily to release my thoughts about research articles and the latest health, fitness, nutrition, longevity, wellness, and biohacking news, and to (as I discuss in my podcast with Naveen Jain here and here) follow specific topics and people in sectors I'm particularly interested in.
Heck, I've even had Twitter founder and CEO Jack Dorsey on my podcast (which seemed to have later blown up in his face and painted him as an anti-vaccination zealot with an eating disorder).
Anyways, I’m constantly scouring my favorite and most useful fitness and nutrition articles, research and resources and posting them to the Ben Greenfield Twitter account. From shattering exercise myths to releasing news flashes on new dietary aids to tweeting the latest on anti-aging, I do my best to keep you informed on everything fitness, nutrition and anti-aging related so you can cut through the clutter and confusion, avoiding having to follow a thousand different people on Twitter, and instead use my Twitter feed as a bit of an “aggregate” for keeping yourself up-to-date on the latest and greatest in all things wellness.
But today, I want to give you the past year’s “Top 100 Most Popular Tweets” – the creme de la creme of what I posted on Twitter over the past 12 months. There are plenty of fun and interesting articles and takeaways you’ll find as you scan the tweets below.
I make every possible attempt to give you information you’re not going to find other places, and provide non-run-of-the-mill advice, so, ranked in order of popularity, here are this past year’s most popular tweets (and click here if you want to follow me on Twitter). I also discuss many of these in detail in my monthly podcast Q&A, so you can click here to subscribe to that if you'd like.
This Year's Top 100 Most Popular Tweets
100. Training 1x/week just as good as 2x/week for muscle #strength and size BUT note that in study they were using push/pull routine with EIGHT freaking sets…so these were tough #workouts.
99. A quick #coldshower post workout seems to do a very good job activating parasympathetic nervous system and speeding up cardiac #recovery: – just don’t stay in there too long or you will blunt the #exercise response.
98. Wow. The #birthcontrol pill keeps women from being able to properly recognize #emotions and facial expressions. Scary.
97. I’ve decided to begin delivering to you occasional, inspirational videos that highlight some of my biggest thoughts & takeaways from the week – particularly based on finding more #purpose, #joy, and #meaning in life. Tap the link to see the first one.
95. How To Find / Source Psychedelic Mushrooms.
94. What do YOU think…is #ketones use “doping”?
93. The first graphene jacket is here, and it’s magical.
92. Natural alternatives to #metformin – a new study.
90. I just finished reading the article “Why time management is ruining our lives“… As a self-professed productivity addict, this one struck near and dear to my heart. Check it out here.
89. You’d think #coffee would jack up your #heartrate but one of the reasons it REDUCES all-cause mortality is because it REDUCES average resting heart rate.
88. If your goal is to gain significant #musclemass, timing your protein close to your workouts seems to be more important than total #protein intake by the end of the day.
87. If you are eating a very #lowcarbohydrate diet and also limiting calories for the goals of weight loss, this study shows that you sure as heck better also be #liftingweights.
86. I've been reading this amazing new book by @dawsonchurch, “Mind to Matter” in which he dives into the actual science of healing the body & creating material form using the mind… Definitely worth a read. Check it out here.
85. Today I'm tackling growth hormone injections: the latest research on whether they could actually increase the risk for #cancer and whether you should get growth hormone injections.
84. Is it better to “time restrict feed” during #intermittentfasting 8 am to 5 pm or 12 pm to 9 pm? This study looked at that (early window had slight advantage).
83. Yet more evidence that #BCAAs aren’t that great and may actually #DECREASE muscle protein synthesis.
82. Eating #meat is NOT destroying the planet…and here’s two good reasons why: bit.ly/30oMlGY and n.pr/30jIBpZ
81. Oops. Darn CRISPR fickle-ness.
80. Interesting – how men’s bodies change when they become #fathers.
79. That guy who always beats you in the 5K? Here’s a secret: eat his poop. (Elite runners #bacteria makes mice more #athletic).
78. Impossible Burger may be impossibly #bad for the #planet.
77. *Sauna user alert*…this is a really good research review that sums up so many of the benefits of sauna use (the part about “Waon therapy” and cardiovascular health is interesting).
76. Steroids can benefit athletes for a decade after use.
75. Turns out IV NAD may indeed be a superior way to get NAD into cells compared to oral NR or NMN intake.
74. How to read 80-ish books a year (and actually remember them).
73. Bullshit science alert: “study shows tequila can help you lose weight”!
72. Only takes one single day for all those #sunscreen chemicals to seep into your skin.
71. Probably the most comprehensive, practical treatise of CBD I've ever written…you'll probably find this very helpful.
70. If you're a #healthpractitioner or simply are passionate about staying on the cutting edge of #healthsciences & exploring emerging tactics to increase #longevity, tune into my talk from the Redefining Medicine Conference this past December.
69. If you're a #healthpractitioner or simply are passionate about staying on the cutting edge of #healthsciences & exploring emerging tactics to increase #longevity, tune into my talk from the Redefining Medicine Conference this past December.
67. Probably the best article on #chewing I’ve ever read.
66. This college dropout was #bedridden for 11 years. Then he invented a surgery and #cured himself.
65. THC found more important for therapeutic effects in cannabis than originally thought.
64. Roughly defined as 2-3 glasses of #wine a night for men and 1-2 glasses for women, moderate alcohol consumption may actually improve #brainhealth in a few different ways.
63. Opioid Users Call Kratom a Godsend. The F.D.A. Says It’s a Menace.
62. #Testosterone is literally the lifeblood and the foundation of all things related to #menshealth. This article I collabed on with @TRTExpert is perhaps the most comprehensive, cutting-edge resource on decoding #T I've published.
61. Taurine is an #aminoacid rich in sulfur. The body synthesizes it to some extent from methionine & cysteine, but the synthesis process is slow. It's good to get enough taurine from the #diet but you can also try taking it to calm down & sleep more deeply.
60. My blood glucose after dosing with Kion Aminos. Zero glucose spike. Brand new berry flavor just launched today.
59. Wake up, crush the day. I’m two days late to the game but I rolled out of bed this morning here in Charleston South Carolina, watched the sunrise and said my prayers, then did body weight #Murph: 1 mile run, 300 squats, 200 push-ups, 100 pull-ups, 1 mile…
58. This latest study shows that you can use hyperthermia and heat treatments to stave off muscle atrophy and maintain fitness when you can’t exercise… But it was 2hrs/day and they use crazy fancy heat machine called pulsed shortwave diathermy, not a sauna…
57. New Study: Dietary #saturatedfat is not associated with increased risk of CVD.
56. Here's the entire muscle building program I've created– workouts and #cleandiet for building #leanmuscle.
55. Oldest woman in America turns 114 – no NAD, metformin or fringe injections…just “belief in God” and “being a good person”.
54. Pinch me now. I've finally found a #healthycereal that tastes like the old school comfort food cereal I loved as a kid. Better yet, my boys absolutely love this stuff…they can actually read the newspaper comics and…
53. Operation get skinny guy Ben Greenfield muscle continues…up 10.4 lbs in 2 months. Lots of organ meat, circuit training with heavy weights, intermittent fasting and…
52. Mail order mushrooms: first ever microdosing dispensary opens in Vancouver.
51. Authors in this study conclude that “Overfeeding on #peanutbutter (+500 kcal/day) results in an increase in body fat.”. No shit. Really?
50. Shot a documentary today in San Diego. It’s called “Exhausted” and it’s all about adrenal fatigue. We discussed things like creatine and ATP phosphate pool exhaustion and athletes, glycogen depletion, overreaching…
49. Google’s censorship of health-content websites is a bit disturbing, in my opinion – what do YOU think?: fee.org/articles/googl… and this is even worse: selfhacked.com/blog/google-ce…
48. “Vegan parents charged after starving their baby by switching from formula” – popular media will use this to villify plant-based diets, but these folks are *anomalies*.
47. When exposed to alcohol, women have higher toxic acetaldehyde levels than men. This is why around one drink per day is considered to be moderate alcohol consumption for women, versus two for men.
46. So proud of my boys for graduating fifth grade. At this point they are done with school. I gave them the option to halt a formal education and shift into an unschooling scenario in which experiences and life are their education, and they leapt at the off…
45. Testosterone in men enhanced by onions – seems the dragon-breath side effects may defeat any sexual enhancement purposes…
44. This is one of the most comprehensive articles on #intermittentfasting I have read. If you have a friend or family member who is curious about the benefits of #fasting, you should share this with them!
43. This latest study on the so-called “toxicity” of CBD drenched cells in tons of CBD in a test tube…doesn't simulate what happens in human body (most notably that cells aren't exposed to CBD that long, nor is it accompanied with methanol as in this study).
42. Somebody in the locker room at the gym yesterday was asking me how I train my abs. Frankly, I don’t do much dedicated “traditional abdominal“ work like crunches, sit ups, etc. If you simply lift heavy stuff, work with kettlebells, include some planking…
41. This is the best explainer article on the critical importance of carb re-feeds for low-carb / #keto folks I've read…if you're following that type of diet & aren't considering how to optimize your insulin sensitivity…you're missing out on big benefits.
40. Avoidance of #sun is a major risk factor for early death comparable to being a #smoker.
39. Health claims in nutrition books can be a ‘volcano of nonsense.’ A new website is fighting back. | The Seattle Times
38. I was homeschooled K-12 (and apparently politicians hate that).
37. Here is my comprehensive bloodwork after 12 wks of modified carnivore diet (a nose-to-tail approach that also included small amounts of berries/raw honey/tubers/red wine/coffee): (note elevated liver enzymes/creatinine due to hard wt training day prior).
36. Pecs… i’m often asked about how I work my chest. Here’s a hint: I rarely ever benchpress. But I do just about every form of push-up known to man, often sprinkled throughout my workouts. Finish a set of squats? Spiderman push-ups. Finish a set of should…
35. Onegevity Health just dropped an amazing new platform where you can test & store ALL your health data, then using AI, translate your data into customized recommendations for diet, supps & more for total life optimization. Get your test here (Code: BEN20)
34. Ex-Navy SEAL who wakes up at 4:30 am shows how to get out of bed when you don't feel like it
33. Turns out #fiber may not be that necessary after all (if you’re eating a #ketogenic or lower carb carnivore style diet).
32. This has got to be about the most fascinating cause/cure research on Alzheimer’s I’ve ever seen
31. World's number one bridge player banned for testosterone doping.
30. Eating Healthy on a Budget theminimalists.com/eating/ via @TheMinimalists
29. Extreme #fatloss nutrition in a nutshell: control blood glucose ruthlessly, eat the same meals over and over again, don’t drink calories, start your day with protein, don’t eat much fruit (from Thomas Tijerina who recently lost 405-pounds!)
28. Cannabis Oil Kills Cancer…(through a microscope)
27. I’m a huge fan of nicotine as a cognitive stimulant. Problem is, most are full of artificial sweeteners & chemical fillers… Enter @LucyNicotine a new formulation of nicotine gum offering all the cognitive benefits, better taste &texture w/ very low amounts of artificial nasties when compared to other brands like Nicorette. You can check it out here and use Code: BEN10 to save $10 on your subscription… Enjoy, and use responsibly.
26. This article is pure and complete bullshit and I’m going to tell you why on my next podcast. (Listen to Part 1 and Part 2 of my podcast explaining why.)
25. Interesting: randomised trial of coconut oil, olive oil or butter on blood lipids and other cardiovascular risk factors in healthy men and women
24. She's a poster girl for the #meatfree revolution. But in a shocking confession, Finnish cookery author and social media guru admits it ruined her #health (so she's eating burgers!)
23. Billionaire Jack Dorsey's 11 ‘wellness' habits: From no food all weekend to ice baths.
22. *I suspect that an alkaline-based ketogenic diet rich in plant-based foods combined with a long term approach in which the body upregulates ketone utilization would largely solve this issue. It took me 2 full years of ketosis before my body fully “adapted”.
21. I'm often asked if I'm concerned about my hefty intake of canned sardines, mackerel, etc… So Wild Planet hooked me up w/ this infographic showing results of 3rd-party testing of PPM of #mercury in the #fish. I'd say as long as I don't take up a swordfish habit, I oughta be OK.
20. Is interval training the magic bullet for fat loss? (Hint: Interval training provided 28.5% greater reductions in total absolute fat mass (kg) than steady state training).
19. joshuafieldsmillburn & @ryannicodemuscreated @theminimalists #podcast to help us all achieve living meaningful lives where #lessismore. In this episode, I discuss my approach to #work – taking #pomodorotechnique breaks, standing on a @fluidstance…
18. Would you go to a #coffee shop that bans milk and #sugar?
17. I recently listened to a physician named Paul Saladino debate research scientist @biolayne about the #carnivorediet on my friend Mark Bell's podcast @marksmellybell. I was so intrigued by the episode that I decided to get @PaulSaladinoMD on my show.
16. The latest science on #stevia, and whether it’s bad for your gut, stimulates your appetite, contributes to weight gain…or not.
15. *I know I catch a lot of flack when I post stuff like this, but 1x/ wk, I skip workout & spend my morning doing “self-love” that makes my gut & body feel like a million bucks. Today: oil pulling, clay face mask, coffee enema, infrared sauna, cold plunge, NAD patch & vitamin IV.
14. #Diabetes is very likely reversible (and it’s not rocket science how to do it).
13. I highly recommend you listen to the interviews that my friend @richroll conducted with another friend, @DrZachBush. The latest (bit.ly/2K0oiH2) was mind-blowing for finding #purpose in life, but all are must-listens. bit.ly/2ZCN0E5 & bit.ly/2ZCSnTT
12. *Flying to Austin and experimenting with new jet lag protocol: NAD patch, self administered push IV vitamin cocktail, intranasal Semax peptide, then intramuscular glutathione injection and methylene blue upon arrival.
11. My wife…the huntress. I realize this may be controversial for many, but Jessa will take this goat meat home to our family and prepare stews and roasts that will feed our growing sons, and she worked her ass off for an ethical, well placed shot.
10. Tune into @joerogan tomorrow at noon Pacific for a show that I promise will not include stem cell dick talk.
9. This is sad. #Millennials health now declining considerably after age 27. Let’s redefine these norms people.
8. ‘Keto Crotch' called out as stinky side effect of popular diet.
7. Google’s lung cancer detection AI outperforms 6 human radiologists.
6. Here's my Gut-Healing Keto Ice Cream recipe: 6 egg yolks, 4 scoops Thorne Mediclear SGS (chocolate flavor), 8 droppers-full Omica Organics vanilla stevia, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 can BPA-Free full-fat coconut milk. Blend on high for 5 minutes. Freeze overnight. Bon Appetit!
5. This author thinks @joerogan gives his celebrity guests free alcohol and drugs then sits back and waits for them to say something stupid. C'mon. It's just an interesting show during which people get to talk freely (and it kicks the ass of “real” news).
4. Staring at boobs will help you #livelonger, study says.
3. Good read featuring @tferriss – With Government Skittish About Psychedelics, Philanthropy Funds Promising Research
2. The podcast with @jack is officially live: “Advanced Stress Mitigation Tactics, Extreme Time-Saving Workouts, DIY Cold Tubs, Hormesis, One-Meal-A-Day & More.” – this guy is a true hacker of health…
1. Men who can do more than 40 push-ups at once have a 25 times lower risk of events related to heart disease compared to men who can do fewer than 10 push-ups (how many can YOU do?)
So, what do you think? Do you have anything else you’d like to see me posting on my Ben Greenfield Twitter account? Who else do you follow on Twitter that you think I should add? Let me know in the comments section below…
…and finally, if you dig this type of stuff, be sure to click here to subscribe to my newsletter, in which I send out a Friday weekly round-up chock full of the latest research, discoveries, articles and much more and click here to subscribe to my podcast, in which I address many of these tweets in far great detail.
4 thoughts on “This Year’s Top 100 Tweets: The Creme De La Creme Of All Things Fitness, Nutrition, And Anti-Aging.”
Not one tweet on EMF dangers? Let down. That is going to be a further problem once the millimeter waves used with 5G are implemented. You of all people must know what I am talking about…if you don’t I no longer believe in you…just saying…
Agreed. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about this. Ben has a large audience, and I believe he should use his influence to bring this to people’s attention. It’s an extremely important issue.
Since I haven’t been sick, not even a cold in 30 years I like the Tweet, watching Boobs the Best. Maybe that’s the answer. Smile
Absolutely love this “Table Of Contents” of cutting edge fascinating information!