January 1, 2021
Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries, from the latest news on the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking, and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts, and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
The “Wonder Acid” You Probably Consume Every Day (And How To Get More Of It)
Ever heard of CGA? It stands for “Chlorogenic Acid” (also known as 5-O-caffeoylquinic acid). Anyways, a recent comprehensive scientific analysis revealed CGA to have a host of neuroprotective, cardiovascular protective, gastrointestinal protective, renoprotective, hepatoprotective, glucose and lipid metabolism regulatory, and anticarcinogenic effects.
Now, before you rush out to find some capsule of CGA somewhere, here's the deal: If you're a regular coffee drinker, you probably already consume CGA every morning! This is all-the-more true if your coffee is lightly roasted and not filtered too heavily (e.g French Press, Turkish Style, etc.). However, if you want to jack up your CGA consumption through the freakin' roof, you can't beat GREEN unroasted coffee. (This is because CGA gets lost in some amount during the roasting process)
Enter my friends at Kauai Farmacy, with whom I'll be doing a podcast next week. They harvest both the fruit and bean of their Hawaiian coffee plants, process them by hand, slowly cure them in their solar dehydrators which maintains their medicinal constituents, then package them up into green energy powders that taste absolutely amazing. Heck, you can (as I have been doing) even add a teaspoon of this stuff to a cup of your morning Kion Coffee for a boost of energy on steroids. Try it and enjoy the energetic results.
So, if you want to truly maximize your CGA intake, you can click here to get a bag of organic Kion Coffee, and click here to get some of the Kauai Farmacy Green Coffee Powder (use code GREENFIELD15 to save 15%).
New Book I'm Reading On Ancient Healing Remedies
The idea that nature holds clues for how to use food medicinally was hit upon, seemingly independently, by a variety of cultures around the world, from Asia to the Middle East. Pliny the Elder, the Roman naturalist who died in AD 79, was the first to mention it in the West—and the idea was picked up through the years by a number of well-known physicians and botanists. William Coles, a seventeenth-century botanist, wrote that God “stamped upon [edible plants] a distinct forme but also hath given them particular Signatures whereby a man may read the use of them.” Although the idea is generally scoffed at in the West today, I believe he was right. Here are some super healthy foods that science has shown abide by the doctrine of signatures:
- Carrots resemble eyes—and bolster vision. These crunchy veggies are great sources of lutein and beta-carotene, antioxidants that support eye health and protect against age-related eye diseases like macular degeneration. What’s more, beta-carotene converts into vitamin A, which helps you see in the dark.
- Walnuts look like mini brains—and are the best nut for brain health. Walnuts are rich in omega-3 fats, choline and vitamin E which support brain health. Research in mice with Alzheimer’s has shown that a walnut-heavy diet improves memory and learning, and studies of aging people have shown that eating walnuts improves cognitive processing speed, mental flexibility, and memory.
- Celery stalks look similar to bones—and protect bone health. Celery contains silicon, which contributes to bone strength. It’s also an excellent source of vitamin K, which works with calcium to build strong bones, and potassium, which neutralizes acids that erode bone calcium.
- Beets are blood red—and can help with anemia, blood flow, and blood pressure. Rich in iron, these red beauties can bolster hemoglobin, the red protein in blood that’s responsible for oxygen transport. Beets also contain nitrates, which transform into nitric oxide, a substance that dilates blood vessels, lowering blood pressure and improving the body’s ability to deliver oxygen-rich blood to tissues. Research shows that beet juice improves exercise stamina up to 16 percent.
- Onions resemble cells—and protect them. Onions contain vitamin C, which shields cells from damage caused by unstable free radical molecules, and potassium, which is required for normal cell function. And because they contain sulfur, onions can protect cells from cancer.
- Coconuts look like heads—and coconut oil is good for brain health. Research shows that consuming medium-chain triglycerides, the type of fat in coconut oil, can improve brain function in people with mild forms of Alzheimer’s.
- Ginseng roots look like mini humans—and support whole-body health. Ginseng is used to increase energy, improve cognition, reduce blood sugar and stress, promote relaxation, and enhance overall well-being.
- Tomatoes look like heart chambers—and they’re cardioprotective. Slice open a tomato and you’ll find heart-like chambers. Studies show that eating tomatoes reduces blood pressure, protects the heart from damage during a heart attack, improves survival rates in patients with heart failure, and reduces the risk of stroke.
- Grape clusters look like lung alveoli—and protect lungs. Grapes contain anthocyanins, a type of flavonoid that’s critical for maintaining lung function as you age.
- Ginger looks like a stomach—and is a potent antidote for nausea. Gingerol, the ingredient that gives ginger its tangy taste, has the ability to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Sweet potatoes are shaped like a pancreas—and promote its healthy functioning. In TCM, sweet potatoes are used to support the spleen and pancreas. And even though they’re “sweet,” they contain slow-release carbs and the hormone adiponectin, which help promote healthy blood sugar, thereby helping the pancreas do its job.
- Reishi mushrooms resemble kidneys and adrenals—and support these glands. In TCM, reishi is considered a tonic for qi, and studies show it promotes energy and stamina, even in those with fatigue-causing conditions like fibromyalgia.
- Figs resemble testicles—and they benefit sperm. They’ve long been used to enhance fertility, and recent research has confirmed that fig extract can improve sperm count and motility.
- Olives look like ovaries—and protect reproductive health. Healthy fats are critical for manufacturing the reproductive hormones necessary for conception, and they’re good for maintaining general reproductive health in both men and women.
- Avocados look like a uterus—and support reproductive health. Avocados contain a healthy dose of folic acid, a B vitamin that’s crucial during pregnancy for the health of the baby and can reduce the risk of cervical dysplasia, a precancerous condition.
- Organ meat and glandulars from animals support the same organ in people. As I mentioned above, livers of beef and chicken, for instance, have extremely high levels of B vitamins, including vitamin B12, which promotes liver health. Animal hearts contain CoQ10 and iron, both of which support the human cardiovascular system. Muscle meat, like chicken breast and steak, supports healthy muscle tissue. Likewise, bone broth enhances our bone marrow, bones, ligaments, tendons, gut lining, and skin—all of which are made up of collagen.
I’m thrilled to be able to share these ancient secrets with you. They’ve been hidden too long. By eating more like the ancients did, you’ll give your body the fuel it needs to fight viral and bacterial infections, power through your days with plenty of energy, and function at your highest level. Get the book here.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
Q&A 422: Colostrum & Melatonin For COVID, 14 Ways To Find Balance In Your Life, Is Nut Oil & Fish Oil Oxidized, Rancid Or Bad For You? Is Sunlight Beneficial In The Winter? & Much More.
This episode was brought to you by Joovv (code BEN), Thrive Market (Receive a gift card worth up to $20 when you begin a new membership), and Paleovalley Beef Sticks (Receive a 15% discount on your order when you use my link).
Breathwork vs. Psychedelics, Tantric Sex, Relational Alchemy, Questions That Lead To Love & Much More With Stefanos Sifandos & Christine Hassler.
This episode was brought to you by Fit Soul, Ben Greenfield Coaching Program, The Kion Fasting Challenge, Organifi Green Juice (code BENG20), Beekeeper's Naturals (code BEN), and Butcher Box.
Ben Greenfield's VIP Text Club: To receive exclusive texts from Ben Greenfield, text the word “FITNESS” to 411247 (within the U.S. only).
Articles I Published This Week:
The Latest Research On Fasting: What 9 New Studies Say About Fasting’s Effects On Fat Loss, Satiety, Insulin Resistance, & More.
Sabbath Ramblings: Sex, Porn & Polyamory Part 3.
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
Articles I Was Featured In This Week:
2020 Books You Must Read To Get Healthier
::: Save $5 On Magic Spoon Cereal :::
By now you've surely heard of Magic Spoon cereal—and you may have noticed that this stuff rarely, if ever, goes on sale.
So, I'm going to cut right to the chase: When you use code BEN at checkout, you can save $5 on Fruity, Peanut Butter, Cocoa, Cinnamon, Blueberry, or Frosted boxes of Magic Spoon.
If you haven't tried Magic Spoon yet, I highly recommend the variety pack so you can try a few of the many delicious flavors they offer!
Yes, you can finally kick your sugar-, carb-, and junk-laden cereals to the curb, and start mornings off right in the New Year with Magic Spoon.
By the way, my twin boys love this stuff, and I'm sure your kids will too.
Click here to shop Magic Spoon, and remember to use code BEN to save $5. They have 15,000+ 5-star customer reviews and a happiness guarantee, so you can get your money back if you don't love your first case of cereal.
::: Get My Brand New Book, Fit Soul, For FREE :::
As I revealed in my recent Sabbath Ramblings post, as a special celebration for my birthday a few days ago, I decided to give away my brand new book, Fit Soul: Tools, Tactics & Habits For Optimizing Spiritual Fitness, for FREE.
Fit Soul is a culmination of a multitude of valuable strategies and lessons I’ve learned over the past twenty years of my life—specifically for increasing your happiness, fulfillment, and meaning in life.
And no, I’m not kidding. This book is—until I decide to publish it and sell it in bookstores—completely free for you to download right now. I have zero desire to make any money from Fit Soul—instead, I simply want to make your life better with it.
Click here to download your FREE copy immediately.
::: Create Your Very Own Lifebook For FREE :::
Creating my “Lifebook” was the most transformational process I’ve ever embarked upon. I mapped out every category of my life—finances, character, spirituality, physical health, parenting, relationships, my dream life, and beyond.
During the systematized process, the same as I did, you will take a deep dive into the 12 dimensions of your life—like having a fit and healthy body, a vibrant and active mind, a fulfilling career, a passionate romance, basically any goal you can think of—and map out a fully personalized vision of holistic success for all of them. It’s like life-hacking on steroids.
Remember, this is your last chance to enroll because the quest starts soon! Enroll now.
::: Kion Fasting Challenge Starts Soon! :::
The Kion Fasting Challenge is a FREE 5-day health challenge hosted by a team of superstars at my health food and supplement company, Kion.
Before you say, “Give up food for 5 days? I’ll pass,” keep reading, because fasting isn’t just about not eating.
Yes, that’s a big part of it, but there are actually many different ways to fast that don’t include giving up food and drink completely. You’ll learn more about them when you sign up and receive the free Kion Fasting Decoded e-book.
Whether you're fasting for longevity, body composition, or gut health, Fasting Decoded and Team Kion will provide you with the tools, education, and motivation to make it through your 5-day fast feeling healthy and confident.
The challenge starts January 11th, but sign up as soon as possible, because this is something you'll want to prepare for, and you'll need Fasting Decoded to do that. Click here to sign up for FREE today.
The Kion New Year Sale Ends Soon!
Between Kion Immune, Colostrum, and Oregano, Kion has your immune system more than covered! (And right now, you can save up to 25% on these immune-supporting compounds or anything else at GetKion.com when you use code NEWYEAR at checkout.)
- Deficiencies in the two nutrients you'll find in Kion Immune—vitamin C and zinc—can impact immune function and weaken your body's defenses.*
- Colostrum promotes total body health by enhancing immune function, intestinal health, and athletic recovery.*
- Oregano Oil’s potent antioxidants and phenols can support your body’s natural defenses and restore balance to your gut microbiome.*
Oh, and best of all, you can get all of these in one convenient bundle. Consider it your immune system's secret weapon against God knows what's out there right now.
Again, just click here and enter code NEWYEAR at checkout to save up to 25% from now until January 2 at 11:59 pm MT.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Post
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
My Most Popular Facebook Post This Week:
Leave your comments and any news or discoveries that you think I missed below!