April 24, 2020
Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries, from the latest news on the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts, and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
Cheesecake Recipe That Will Send Your Tastebuds To Heaven
I have never before in my life tried my hand at making cheesecake, but after interviewing superfood hunter Darin Olien, I decided to put my own spin on his famous “Baruka Nuts Cheesecake” recipe and – holy hell – this thing is absolutely mind-blowing, if I don’t say so myself. The blueberry powder gives you a huge punch of sirtuins, it’s pretty much got next to no carbohydrates in it, and despite the “cheesecake” moniker, no dairy. I am super proud to say that I am now an official cheesecake chef. (OK, OK, the boys from the Go Greenfields Show gave me a few tips along the way.)
- 1 1/2 cups of soaked, peeled barukas
- 1 1/2 cups of soaked cashews
- Squeeze of 2 organic lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup of blueberry powder
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- Stevia or monkfruit to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Stevia or monk fruit to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp cashew or other nut butter
- 1 tsp MCT oil
- 1tsp almond or coconut milk
- 1tsp organic blueberry powder
- Stevia or monk fruit to taste
- Goji berries and coconut flakes for “texture”
- Soak peeled barukas and cashews for at least an hour.
- Mix all crust ingredients in a mixing bowl and massage with your hands, until thoroughly mixed.
- In a pie mold place the crust mixture and using your hands mold it into the dish, pressing firmly on all edges. Once it’s nicely molded place in freezer for about 10 minutes until it hardens.
- In a high-speed blender, place all ingredients for the filling. Blend at low speed and increase it to high until it becomes a soft mixture. Taste it, and if you want more acidity, you can add more lemon.
- Place the filling mixture on top of your hardened crust and spread it evenly with a spatula. Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Mix all topping ingredients together in a bowl, distribute evenly on top of filling, then place in refrigerator.
- Once the filling is hardened with the consistency of cheesecake, and it’s nice and cold, then it’s ready to devour!
Ready to try it? You can get your Barukas here (supply is extremely limited!), and use code BEN to save 15%.
How To Kick Stress’s Ass & Increase HRV Instantly With A New Biofeedback Tool
Recently my podcast sidekick Dr. Jay T. Wiles recorded an amazing HRV episode in which he described something called “Lief,” which is a realtime biofeedback device that measures your heart and breath to track your stress levels in real-time, using HRV. Jay and I geeked out on this thing again in the intro to Q&A podcast 408.
Basically, Lief teaches you how, when you're under stress, to learn to control your body's natural stress response through simple biofeedback exercises. You just practice when you need it by following the vibrations the device emits, via a highly accurate ECG monitoring system on your chest (like a heart rate strap, kinda). Some of the features of Lief include:
- Stress Zones – Body analysis simplified into 5 distinct stress zones, updating in realtime.
- HRV and Breath Monitoring – Continuous ECG monitoring with medical-grade accuracy.
- Lifestyle Trends – Notice larger trends over time related to stress, activity, sleep, and more.
- Personalized Program – Learn self-regulation techniques to improve your relationship with stress.
- Haptic Engine – The Lief uses discreet vibrations on the body for biofeedback. No screens needed.
- Support – Connect with your coach or doctor to support your journey into improved self-regulation.
Anyways, I’ve been messing around with it, and so far really like it as a way to “outsource” the identification of when you’re under stress, then take immediate steps to fix it.
If you want one for yourself, you can click here, and use code GREENFIELD to save 20% off the first month of a subscription.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
This episode was brought to you by Kion (code BEN10), Paleo Valley Beef Sticks (Receive a 15% discount off your order when you go to paleovalley.com/ben), JOOVV (Order using my link and receive my brand new book, Boundless absolutely free!), and Comrad Socks (code BEN20).
Articles I Was Featured In This Week:
::: Save 20% On This Under-the-radar Immunity Supplement (Limited Supplies!) :::
I'm going to fill you in on an under-the-radar immunity-supporting secret—something that acts faster than your run of the mill immunity supplements and that has been shown in a clinical study to quickly reduce the symptoms of sickness by 30%. And better yet, when combined with Vitamin C, this baby creates a dynamic duo of healing.
It’s called Beta Glucan, and it comes from certain types of medicinal mushrooms.
So how do you get your hands on this stuff?
My friends at Organifi not only source the highest quality of medicinal mushrooms for the Beta Glucan they use in Organifi Immunity, but they used a special sonic extraction method that increases the purity and potency of the Beta Glucans.
I worked out a special deal with the Organifi team, and for a strictly limited time you can get 20% off Organifi Immunity (while supplies last!) when you use my link. Grab some while the grabbin's good!
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
I've studied the science, seen first-hand what works and what doesn't, and most importantly, know how to help you make lasting changes to become the best version of yourself – for good. I've also trained an entire army of Kion Coaches, and with our support, you'll no longer have to struggle to decipher conflicting health information, only to end up confused and unmotivated.
Are you looking to achieve peak physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Every day, I work with people just like you to help them achieve their goals with personalized health advice and one-of-a-kind nutrition and fitness plans. My schedule gets filled quickly, so be sure to book your one-on-one consultation with me today.
Kion Coaches are certified in the same holistic approach I take to mind, body, and spiritual health. In addition to being trained by yours truly, these folks are qualified professionals, ranging from personal trainers to nutritionists, chiropractors, elite athletes, psychologists, medical doctors, and more. Just click here to view the full coach directory and to find the ideal coach for you and your unique goals!
July 14 – 16, 2020: Paleo f(x) – Austin, TX. Join dozens of health and fitness experts to discover the latest breakthroughs in epigenetics, biohacking, Keto, AIP, nootropics, blood testing, strength conditioning, sleep, stress and much more. Try out delicious new foods, discover new workouts, and even try new gadgets in the biohacking lab. Register here
Featured Product: Kion Oregano Oil
Wild Mediterranean Oregano Oil has been shown to support a healthy immune response, a balanced gut microbiome, healthy respiratory function, and more.
But all oregano oil is not created equally!
Kion Oregano Oil is mixed in a very unique, highly effective, and absorbable 7:1 almond to oregano oil ratio and boasts a natural carvacrol level of 80.12% to 80.46% (the primary indicator of quality).
To gain the benefits of Kion Oregano, simply put 10-20 drops in a glass of water and consume this beverage two to three times a day. Get some here today!
*The FDA hasn't evaluated these statements. Kion products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Post:
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
I was WRONG. After thoroughly reviewing these two papers – https://t.co/Ftvly0TCne and https://t.co/lrUFT0SJF2 I am no longer convinced exercise – even heavy exercise – is immunosuppressive UNLESS in a very carb depleted state. So proceed with the indoor treadmill marathons. ;)
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) April 18, 2020
My Most Popular Facebook Post This Week:
Every morning I come out of this cold pool, which I maintain at about 45°, and jump in to swim back-and-forth underneath the water for about 3 to 5 minutes. I put this right up there with a cup of coffee in terms of the mental clarity and energy that I derive from it. I often jump in at some point before dinner as well to up regulate glucose transporters and to also lower my body core temperature so I sleep better. As I discuss over at BenGreenfieldFitness.com/409 and also /410 it’s great for the immune system and stress control too. What’s your favorite way to get cold these days?
Posted by Ben Greenfield Fitness on Sunday, April 19, 2020
Leave your comments and any news or discoveries that you think I missed below!