May 24, 2019
Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries, from the latest news on the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
– Morning Beverage To Make You Feel Superhuman
This is a handy morning brew I mix up when I travel for immunity and a potent dose of antioxidants. It's very simple but just takes a few key products. It includes the immune-boosting benefit of wild Mediterranean oil of oregano along with 80+ minerals from clean harvest algal blooms and the selective antioxidant activity of hydrogen-rich water. Here's the recipe:
To 16oz filtered water, add:
– Best Book On Athletic Performance, Recovery & Mindset I've Read In Quite Some Time
Peak: The New Science of Athletic Performance That is Revolutionizing Sports – this new book, by my fellow C-ISSN and CSCS Dr. Marc Bubbs – was one of my best reads of the year for all things sports science. A few of my big takeaways (and don't worry, I'll get him on the podcast too!) include:
– Endurance athletes seem to need more sleep than strength athletes, and both seriously suffer when sleep is anything less than 6 hours.
– A temperature change in your fingertips is likely the first circadian cue you get at the beginning of the day (I could totally see a potential jet lag device that warms the fingers – I'll take the royalty for that, please. ;) ).
– Aerobic training for strength athletes could assist with their immune system strength.
– Loading with probiotics for 2 weeks leading up to competition could give you an ergogenic edge.
– Elite athletes on a subpar diet show the same blood biomarkers as those with pre-diabetes and a fructosamine blood test can be one of the best ways to measure this.
– Athletes with the CC genotype of the CYP1A2 gene are actually hampered in performance in response to caffeine intake.
– Eating carbs too far from a performance event (e.g. 60-75 minutes) results in hypoglycemia before the event vs. consuming them closer to the event (e.g. 20-45 minutes)
– Fish oil can stimulate muscle building by stimulating mTOR pathways. Vitamin D and creatine are also very good for recovery, not just performance. Creatine can even be helpful for TBI/concussions.
– High sugar intake is associated with lower heart rate variability (HRV).
– Cold water immersion (CWI) beats cryotherapy for recovery, hands down.
Anyways, there's plenty more! You can get this brand new book here.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
Click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of never-before-seen videos, audios, PDFs, and every past episode of the Ben Greenfield Fitness podcast.
Articles Published By Me & Kion This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
::: Catch the Docuseries That Will Alter the Way You Think About Fat :::
We've been overloaded with misinformation and FALSE pseudo-science about our health for so long now it's almost impossible to cut through the noise. Author, entrepreneur and Wellness Warrior, Naomi Whittel pulls from the most brilliant minds and cutting edge science-backed research to bring you this vital potentially life-changing information about FAT!
Naomi takes a deep dive with these experts to finally answer all your questions about diet, weight, fat, health and your longevity with amazing new science and research that's changing the way we look at our human bodies all the way down to the cellular level. Don't miss your chance to watch the “Real Skinny on Fat” docu-series, live & online NOW.
Articles & Podcasts I Was Featured In This Week:
– May 25 – 26, 2019: Train to Hunt Competition in Northern Idaho: The regional “Train to Hunt” challenge I attend is coming up soon. This is a very unique event which combines, archery technique, breath work, fitness, and much more to optimize and prepare you for hunting season. Click here to register. Hopefully, I'll catch up with you there!
– May 29, 2019: Community Talk on Stem Cell Procedure, Charleston, South Carolina. Sign up for an exclusive, semi-private event featuring myself and Dr. Craig Koniver of Koniver Wellness. The lively discussion will take place at Tradd’s downtown over dinner in a private room for 80 guests. Sign up here!
– June 6, 2019: An Afternoon of Transformation with Ben Greenfield, Denver, Colorado. A special event hosted by MaxLiving, which exists to transform lives through chiropractic.
– June 15, 2019: Ultimate Fitness Run, Mt. Spokane, Washington. Join me and my family for a fun, as-competitive-as-you-make-it day outside for an OCR-style challenge. Register here while you still can. This event sells out quickly each year. Save with code: BEN10UFR and register here.
– June 23 – July 7, 2019: European Detox Retreat, Paracelsus al Ronc, Switzerland. At this 2019 liver detox and R&R retreat at the beautiful Swiss Mountain Clinic in the Italian quarter of Switzerland, you'll stay on-site and receive diagnostics and treatments from the best doctors of biological medicine to detox your liver and your soul. Here's the link to more info.
– August 3, 2019: Spartan Sprint at the LA Stadium, Los Angeles, California. It’s Rally Time, Los Angeles. The Big A. Angel Stadium. Whatever you call it, this place is legendary. Now, Spartan is headed to this historic ballpark for an epic Stadion course. Get ready to take on 3 miles and 20 obstacles through nearly every part of the stadium. Sign up here!
– September 27 – 29, 2019: Spartan World Championships, Squaw Valley, California. Right beside Lake Tahoe, this epic venue was once host to the 1960 Olympic Winter Games. Join me there for the greatest obstacle course race in North Tahoe Lake, Olympic Village, CA. Sign up here. Sign up here!
Featured Product: Kion Clean Energy Bar
As a busy CEO, coach, professional athlete, international speaker, and top 100 podcast host—I needed a bar that would meet the intense demands of my lifestyle, while also satisfying my strict nutrition and purity requirements. I’m happy to say, THIS IS IT.
After years of habitually eating low-quality protein bars, I started having elevated blood sugar, gut rot, energy swings and toxins present in my blood tests. So I wanted to do something better. I wanted to learn how can a bar provide adequate amino acids for recovery without spiking insulin and glucose, or creating mTor and longevity issues from excess protein intake?
You're about to discover exactly how I did it. Meet the Kion Clean Energy Bar.
*The FDA hasn't evaluated these statements. Kion products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Pic:
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) May 21, 2019
My Most Popular Facebook Post This Week:
Took my boys deep sea fishing for Ono today with Harvesting Nature … came back and cooked up a little surf and turf with the pig they hunted yesterday! #konalife
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!