March 19, 2014
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Mar 19, 2014 Podcast: 5 Ways To Mitigate Damage From Endurance Sports, Should You Change Your Run Form, Is Deer Meat Healthy, Is Progesterone Dangerous, Do Standing Workstations Cause Varicose Veins, Getting Rid Of Heavy Metals, and Magnetico vs. Biomat Sleep Pads.
Have a podcast question for Ben? Click the tab on the right, use the Contact button on the app, click Ask a Podcast Question at the bottom of this page, Skype “pacificfit” or use the “Ask Ben” form… but be prepared to wait – we prioritize audio questions over text questions.
You can get these News Flashes hot off the presses if you follow Ben on Twitter.com/BenGreenfield, Facebook.com/BGFitness and Google+.
- Concerned you might die early? Here’s which biomarkers to track.
- Don’t have carbs with your fatty coffee. When MCT is consumed with carbs, insulin secretion inhibits mobilization your own fat stores.
- If “comfortable” fat loss is your thing, this isn’t for you. But if you don’t mind being cold for ~1hr/day, this is my #1 way to burn fat FAST.
Men's Health is launching a search for the next big name in fitness. They're looking for the best trainer that they haven’t yet discovered – a fitness professional who is a top mind in the field, but who also looks the part, and who has the ability to captivate any audience. Click here to vote for Ben to be the Men's Health Top Trainer or visit BenGreenfieldFitness.com/menshealth.
Two other cool things you should check out:
1) Monkii Bars Kickstarter Campaign… Remember the old-school playground? There were huge climbing towers, endless slides, tanbark, and everyone’s favorite: monkey bars. I was home a few years back visiting my parents and went down to my old elementary school playground to work out. I was in shock at what I saw. Bright plastic had replaced steel and the area around the playground was rubberized. Everything looked really safe and really boring. We created monkii bars as a tribute to the wildness we all experienced as kids on the playground.
With monkii bars you can work out anywhere. Get outside and sneak in workouts at the office, on the trail or even on your next business trip. They come as a set of 2 bars, with all 18 feet of suspension line stored inside each bar. Setup is fast, it takes less than 60 seconds. Remove the line, toss it over any support structure, adjust, and work out. The strength comes from an aerospace-grade aluminum core and the beauty from a finished maple grip.
2) The Optimal Reset… Here are just a few topics covered during the Optimal Reset: Shopping & Eating Epi-Paleo…Creating Your Optimal Kitchen…Overcoming hunger and sugar cravings…Taking on the Leptin Reset…Getting started with Cold Thermogenesis (CT)…Creating optimal sleep…Healing your hormones…Getting started with biohacking…Reducing EMF exposure in your home or office…Finding a doctor to help you biohack and support your journey to optimal.
Ben's new book has been released. Pre-order it now and get entered into a raffle for over $5000 in swag! Just visit BeyondTrainingBook.com – and be sure to spread the word, contribute to the cause and change the way people exercise forever at Rally.org/BeyondTraining.
Want some free hidden chapters, audio clips and videos from Beyond Training? Check out the Beyond Training book torrent at BenGreenfieldFitness.com/torrent!
Grab this Official Ben Greenfield Fitness Gear package that comes with a tech shirt, a beanie and a water bottle.
And of course, this week's top iTunes review – gets some BG Fitness swag straight from Ben – leave your review for a chance to win some!
As compiled, deciphered, edited and sometimes read by Brock Skywalker Armstrong, the Podcast “Sidekick”.
5 Ways To Mitigate Damage From Endurance Sports
Abigail asks: She is 22 years old, has been running quite consistently since she was 16. She's been racing shorter races (5k, 10k) but really likes the idea of endurance racing. She plans to race a triathlon and some marathons with the ultimate goal of going to Greece to race the 150 mile Spartathlon. She recently read your article about how endurance athletes are unhealthy and now she is not sure that this is something she should pursue.
1) Monitoring of blood (e.g. via WellnessFX) and gut (e.g. GI Effects panel).
2) Organ meats (e.g. US Wellness Meats) and bone marrow or dessicated liver and thyroid options such as NOW Foods Argentine Liver extract and Thyrogold thyroid extract.
3) A minimalist training program like Triathlon Dominator or Marathon Dominator based on limited long workouts.
4) Consistent de-stressing protocols, particularly journaling, meditation, yoga, and all my other best ways to stop stress.
5) Eating a completely anti-inflammatory diet, particularly avoiding vegetable oil, added sugar, soda, juice, except fresh squeezed, energy bars and “health” bars, boxed cereals, powdered “proteins,” and powdered milk, salad dressings made with any kind of vegetable oil, including canola, all low-fat products, including milk, cheese, salad dressings, cookies, and other baked goods.
Should You Change Your Run Form?
Elle asks: She is 40 years old and is feeling stuck in her running ways. She has picked up the Chi Running book and DVDs and it really makes sense to her but is it worth the time and effort to change her form now? She is finding it difficult to do on her own.
-My episode on whether Chi Running is good for you
–Thoughts on change and comfort from my Team Timex teammate Bo Parrish
–Chi Running products from Amazon
–More thoughts from Pacific Elite Fitness coach Graeme Turner
–My recorded audio of Chi Running Tips
And Graeme recommends: Swim, Bike or Run Video Analysis from Pacific Elite Fitness.
Is Deer Meat Healthy?
Jaime asks: Her dad is a hunter and expects that she has some Deer Meat coming her way. Is there anything you can tell her about how to use deer meat and organs. Is there anything she should know nutritionally or preparation wise?
Is Progesterone Dangerous?
Jas asks: She is taking supplemental progesterone to induce her menstrual cycle. She is not amenorrheic from exercise but was born that way. What are the positives or negatives to taking these hormone replacements?
In my response I recommend:
Do Standing Workstations Cause Varicose Veins?
Jlynam asks: She was listening to you talk on PaleoCon about going barefoot more often (running, walking and standing) and is wondering how that applies to people with varicose veins. They are supposed to support the legs and veins for health and not be standing for long lengths of time, especially without support. What would you say to that?
–Graduated compression socks
–An inversion table and these yoga inversion poses
-110% Compression Gear [sc name=”110-Affiliate-Code”]
–Transcript to a previous episode we did on varicose veins, and also our recent podcast on varicose veins. Also: Horse Chestnut Extract, Grape Seed Extract, and Butcher’s Broom.
–Previous episode on getting rid of varicose veins
Getting Rid Of Heavy Metals
Natalie asks: She had the Genova Diagnostics Ion Blood Panel. He results showed that she had very high mercury, aluminum and arsenic. She cut out fish, stopped using deodorant and the next test showed lower aluminum but mercury was still high (likely from the amalgam fillings in her teeth) and arsenic was also still high. Could the arsenic be from eating rice? Maybe protein powder (she has at least 3 protein shakes per week)? Where else could it be coming from?
–Metal Free formula
–DEEP30 Mt. Capra & LivingProtein protein powders
–Metrametrix Ion Panel
Magnetico vs. Biomat Sleep Pads
Shai asks: Magnetico Sleep Pad vs. Earth Pulse. What is your preference and why? Why don't you recommend using them together?
— And don't forget to go to BenGreenfieldFitness.com/love! —
Prior to asking your question, do a search in upper right hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Fitness!
Podcast music from 80s Fitness (Reso Remix) by KOAN Sound.
Ask Your Question
4 thoughts on “#275: 5 Ways To Mitigate Damage From Endurance Sports, Is Deer Meat Healthy, Is Progesterone Dangerous & Much More!”
Hi Ben, I am a Naturopath from http://www.planetnaturopath.com/ and based in Australia. I would just like to let your Australian listeners know that they can get the Metametrix G.I effects test done in Australia through a company called Diagnostic Insight. The rest of the tests for the Wellness FX performance panel come be done through a company called http://nutripath.com.au/. To get these tests done you do need a referral from your practitioner, both are great companies with a wide range of testing options which I regularly use with my clients.
Nice! Thanks for the tip, mate.
Are there specific recommendations for lowering each of the specific "early death" blood markers beyond what you already advise in terms of diet, stress, and exercise?
That's a great question for a future podcast! http://www.speakpipe.com/bengreenfield