July 12, 2018
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
July 12, 2018, Q&A Episode 387: How Much Alcohol Makes You Fat, Is MSG Natural Or Not, and Is Smoked Salmon Healthy?
Have a podcast question for Ben? Click the tab on the right (or go to SpeakPipe), use the Contact button on the app, or click the contact link in the footer..
News Flashes [00:06:43]
- Squats make you smart. Science says…
- Physical activity combined with learning seems to be an amazing tool for schoolchildren in Finland – meaning actually “working out” while you learn.
Why us Homo sapiens are so damn good at endurance running compared to other animals.
24-hour fasting regenerates stem cells and doubles metabolism.
- Why medieval antibiotics work.
You can receive these News Flashes (and more) every single day, if you follow Ben on Twitter.com/BenGreenfield, Instagram.com/BenGreenfieldFitness, Facebook.com/BGFitness, BenGreenfieldFitness.com/Snapchat, and Google+.
Special Announcements [00:31:38]
This podcast is brought to you by:
-Kion Flex – With Kion Flex, you can promote joint comfort, mobility, and flexibility with proven ingredients chosen based upon scientific data and traditional medicine. Pick some up at GetKion.com
-GAINSwave – GAINSWave is a safe, non-invasive, non-drug treatment to enable better stiffness, better gettin-it-on, and better climaxes. To learn more go to GAINSWave.com/Ben and find a provider near you.
-Tru Niagen – Tru Niagen restores your body’s natural balance of NAD every time you take it and you can get some at truniagen.com.
-Gluten Guardian – If you’re at all sensitive to gluten (and even if you’re not, but just concerned about cross contamination, like we all should be)… then I recommend heading over to glutenguardian.com/greenfield. You can save 10% off the already discounted price, with the code GREENFIELD.
–Click here to follow Ben on Snapchat, and get ready for some epic stories about his morning, day and evening routine!
– July 19 – 21, 2018: Ancestral Health Symposium, Bozeman, Montana. “AHS” is a scientific conference which provides a forum so that learning and qualified discussion on all areas of human health can take place. Most noteworthy, at this conference you will go beyond diet and learn about the latest research across a wide range of topics, all united by an evolutionary perspective. speakers present on topics including diet, movement, sleep, stress, epigenetics, and more. Join me this summer!
– August 17 – 19, 2018: Colorado Rockies Ultra Beast and Sprint Weekend, Breckenridge, Colorado. The mountain is calling! This is an extra-special Spartan race. Team members of my company, Kion, and I are competing together in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Experience the immense beauty of Colorado while conquering climbs, crawls, carries and traverses. See you there!
– October 14-16, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference features a series of talks by leaders across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to invigorate your curiosity about health and amplify your life journey. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– October 11 – 14, 2018: 2018 RUNGA California Immersion Retreat. Runga is going to Napa! Join me, my wife, Jessa, Joe DiStefano and a small, intimate group of like-minded individuals for a weekend-long getaway. We’ve rented a beautiful mansion located in one of the most iconic countrysides in America– Napa Valley. We’ve thought of everything that you could possibly need to gently “press the reboot button” on your body and completely tune in to your heart, mind, body, strength, and spirit. Join the waitlist!
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Dominican Republic. You're invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. Join me in the Dominican Republic, one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, for this retreat. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you'll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register so you get your gift when you arrive! I'll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
– June 23 to July 7, 2019: Swiss Retreat and Liver Detox, Swiss Alps, Switzerland. Join me for an immersive health retreat on the Swiss Alps in 2019. Just click here to know more or reserve your spot now.
-View the Official Ben Greenfield Fitness Calendar Here
Giveaways & Goodies [01:14:30]
-Click here to get your own GreenfieldFitnessSystems.com gift pack, handpicked by Ben and chock full of $300 worth of biohacks, supplements, books and more. All at 50% discount!
-Grab your Official Ben Greenfield Fitness Gear package that comes with a tech shirt, a beanie and a water bottle.
-And of course, this week's top iTunes review – gets some BG Fitness swag straight from Ben – click here to leave your review for a chance to win some!
As compiled, deciphered, edited and sometimes read by Brock Armstrong, the Podcast Sidekick.
How Much Alcohol Makes You Fat? [00:41:13]
Margie says: I listened to the podcast about alcohol twice but I still have three questions:
1- Does alcohol really slow or halt your body's ability to metabolize fat enough to cause weight gain?
2- If it does, would anything that has a sedative effect (calms the nervous system) do the same thing?
3- Is a daily dose of alcohol safe for the liver to detoxify every day?
In my response, I recommend:
-My podcast on alcohol “Does Alcohol Really Make You Fat, Which Alcohol Is Healthiest, Hidden Ingredients In Alcohol & Much More: The Ultimate Alcohol Damage Mitigation Guide.”
–The MEOS Pathway
–Ben Lynch's Stratagene podcast
Is MSG Natural Or Not? [01:01:30]
Meg says: I am wondering if you could take a deep dive into MSG. My son and I have a disagreement as to whether or not we should partake. I've heard for so long that it should be avoided but my son says that it is safe and that it is a naturally occurring compound in vegetables. He sprinkles extra MSG on his food but I avoid it like that plague. What gives?
Is Smoked Salmon Healthy? [01:07:24]
Alex says: Obviously, we all know about the dangers of smoked meat (classified as a strong carcinogen) but it is very difficult to find info on smoked salmon. Salmon is a touted as a superfood but I am keen to find out your thoughts on whether smoked salmon has the same benefits or if it is more like smoked meats, that we should be avoiding?
In my response, I recommend:
–Smoked Salmon from Thrive Market
–My interview with Dr. Ben Lynch (including the part about Stratagene for evaluating histamine intolerance)
Prior to asking your question, do a search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Fitness!
4 thoughts on “387: How Much Alcohol Makes You Fat, The Best Exercises For Getting Smarter, Good Vs. Bad MSG & More!”
Are there COPIOUS green zones ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET??? WTF???? The level of misspoken bullshit on this podcast is AMAZING. DELVE into some actual knowledge before someone starts a podcast just outlining the COPIOUS mistakes presented by the salesman Greenjeans. BTW, my LOOMBAR spine aches from laughing at you two clowns.
There is a Gainswave clinic in Calgary, Alberta. Just saying…
Ha ha! Of course Calgary would have one ;)
I love your perspective of having a tasty adult beverage before dinner. I tend not to imbibe Mon-Thurs, but on Fridays I like to crush a workout and then enjoy a craft beer such as hoppy IPA before my dinner. If I have 2 beers this often makes me less hungry for dinner so I may snack on almond butter with crackers or the like later on, maybe even with super dark chocolate. Sometimes even a big saladAm I doing myself a disservice not having a large protein intake after a workout (like 30 min HIIT or 1 hour weight training)? I have also heard it was best to have carbs after a workout, not that gluten beer or dry red wine would be optimal carbs, but this is my reward for the end of a long week.