May 30, 2020
Fatigue, low energy, brain fog, weight loss resistance, low drive, anxiety, sleep problems, depression, and other ailments have become so common today that most people speak of them as just normal with age. Even thyroid dysfunction, diabetes, and other hormone-related conditions are so common they are being considered a normal part of aging. They may be common, but I can assure you they are not normal and there is, in fact, one quite potent answer…
Dr. Daniel Pompa is a dear friend of mine and previous podcast guest on the episodes:
- The Most Effective Detox You’ve Never Heard Of (And Exactly How To Do It).
- Insider Secrets To Multi-Day Fasting, What Kind Of Fasting Burns The Most Fat, Boosting Your Own Stem Cells, Diet Variation, Feast-Famine Cycles & More With Dr. Dan Pompa.
- Kava Extract, Quantum Physics, Filtered Water, Mushroom Coffee & More: A Special Weekend Podcast Episode!
Dr. Pompa is a respected leader in the health and wellness space, educating practitioners and the public on the origins of inflammation-driven disease, the therapeutic application of the ketogenic diet, fasting, ancestral-based health approaches, cellular healing, and detoxification. Although trained as a chiropractor, his authority is rooted in his own battle, having overcome neurotoxic illness and heavy metal poisoning using his own unique cellular detoxification strategies.
His journey back to health continued to lead him to develop a voracious passion for researching and learning beyond what is often readily understood. A relentless self-experimenter, Dr. Pompa has a passion for healing others. He’s a true warrior of a ‘from pain to purpose’ mindset, and he speaks about removing the cause of toxicity and inflammation, going upstream, and following a multi-therapeutic approach to health and healing.
Dan's new book Beyond Fasting (use code BEN15 for 15% off) will take you “beyond fasting” with its expected results for healing the body naturally by leading you into the proper preparation for a successful fast. This will ultimately result in maximum healing, as well as making the fast as easy as possible.
His seven-week protocol prepares you for the fast by getting your cells to use their own stored fat as energy (fat-adaptation). By going into the fast fat-adapted you will go “Beyond Fasting” because results start day one of the fast, and will lead you into a lifestyle that will ultimately change your life forever, as it has for thousands around the world. This book, and the podcast you're about to hear, will help to equip your body with the tools to heal and create new stem cells from day one of the fast, which generally doesn't happen until day four or five.
During this discussion, you'll discover:
-The latest technology that's caught Dr. Pompa's eye…10:33
- Dr. John Lieurance (Advanced Biome Corp.) (save 5% with code BEN)
- CVAC altitude simulator
- BGF podcast with Hunter McIntyre
- Hyperbaric oxygen chamber (code BEN for $250 off)
-How Dan's fasting protocol differs from the trendy protocols currently in the marketplace…14:47
- What he teaches has worked for many years
- You don't run a marathon or a Spartan race out the gate; you train for it
- Miracles happen with fasting, but the proper preparation is key
- Know when you're in max autophagy
- Peter Attia's “Nothing Burger“
- 5 high carb days before a woman's period can transition the hormones the rest of the month
- The body must change with diet changes, seasonally, monthly, weekly
- By changing the microbiome
- Hormone optimization
- “Metabolic mitochondrial fitness“
-How to properly prepare for a fast…26:20
- Begin by reducing the eating window
- Feast days can be more important than fast days
- Adaptation is key
- Monthly, add 5 days a month low-calorie, low carb, etc.
- The variation creates hormesis, increasing the efficacy of the fast
- Ancient cultures were forced into seasonal diet changes
- BGF podcast with Wild Health
-What to do after a fast…38:08
- Break the fast over the course of 2 days
- Ease caloric intake; gut is in a rested state
- Wait a few days before adding meats
- The more fasting you do, the better the body can adapt
- Our ancestors may have been better adapted to fasting because of their lifestyle; modern humans are not likely to be amenable to that lifestyle
-Dan's personal approach to water fasting and fasting in general…44:15
- Water fasting often brings the best results
- Bone broth fasting
- Massive energy is diverted toward healing the body
- 4, 5-day fasts per year; partial fasting 2x, and water fasting 2x
- Water fasting is easier
- Supplements Dan uses while water fasting:
- Colima sea salt for electrolytes
- FasTonic molecular hydrogen water tablets
- Activated charcoal can be used in a pinch
-Biohacks Ben and Dan use to enhance their fasting protocol…53:21
- Ozone injected via the rectum (mention code BEN100 to save $100 on an ozone generator)
- Sauna therapy if healthy
- Exercise if healthy, although you may want the energy expended to be used for healing the body
- Red light therapy (JOOVV)
- PEMF table and mat
- Infrared light therapy
- Grounding and earthing
-The impact of fasting on immunity…59:12
- A fast gets rid of senescent cells that cause inflammation
- Upregulates stem cells, creates new immune cells
- Microbiome connection; Hormesis is key for changing for better
- Viome test
- Diversity in bacteria = immunity
- We're genetically programmed for fasting
- Listen to the body on when to eat and/or not eat
-How to approach fasting with children…1:08:31
- One day of fasting can be beneficial for normal healthy kids
- Dan's 13-year-old son made it through an 11 day fast; fixed psoriasis and carb addiction
- Use caution while the children are in growth phases; not a pressing need if they're healthy
- Overweight kids may benefit because of energy stored in fat tissue
- Don't fast if an eating disorder is present
- Use “technology fasts” to learn the spiritual disciplines gained from fasting
-Cautions women should observe when fasting…1:19:30
- Check out The Complete Guide to Fasting for Women Part 1: Should Females Fast? (and Part 2) from Kion
-And much more!
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Resources from this episode:
- Beyond Fasting Dan Pompa's new book (use code BEN15 for 15% off the book)
- with Hunter McIntyre
- with Wild HealthMD Drs. Matt Dawson and Mike Mallin
- about Infrared light therapy
- about Grounding and Earthing
- about Metabolic mitochondrial fitness
- CVAC altitude simulator
- HBOT (code BEN for $250 off)
- Quantum 5 Ozone Generator (code BEN100 for $100 off)
- Clearlight Sauna
- JOOVV (code BEN for a free gift at checkout)
- Pulse Centers PEMF table
- BioBalance PEMF mat
– Food and Supplements:
- Bone broth
- Colima sea salt
- Activated charcoal
- Water and Wellness Hydrogen tablets (code GREENFIELD for a 10% discount)
- Quicksilver Scientific Hydrogen tablets
– Other resources:
- Dr. John Lieurance of Advanced Biome Corp.
- Viome Complete MicroBiome and Metabolism Testing and Optimization
- Peter Attia's “Nothing Burger“
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations, Kion blends ancestral wisdom with modern science. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners, receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code BEN10.
–Organifi Gold Chocolate: This superfood hot chocolate is loaded with herbs, medicinal mushrooms & healing ingredients to help the body fight disease during sleep. Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code BENG20.
–ButcherBox: Delivers healthy 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door on a monthly basis. All their products are humanely raised and NEVER given antibiotics or hormones. For 2 lbs of 100% grass-fed beef and 2 lbs of pure bacon for FREE, PLUS $20 off your first box go to butcherbox.com/ben.
–Water and Wellness: The best solution for clean and safe drinking water. Water and Wellness also offers an amazing line of essential water additives such as Quinton Marine plasma which contain over 78 trace minerals and elements from the ocean to help restore your biological-terrain. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code: GREENFIELD.
27 thoughts on “Beyond Fasting: How To Biohack Your Fast To Accelerate Fat Loss, Stave Off Carbohydrate Cravings & Enhance Cellular Autophagy.”
I’ve been hard pressed to find research on breastfeeding and the removal of amalgam fillings. I’m concerned, and would like to have a clear understanding as to which would cause the least amount of damage to us both- removal or constant daily exposure.
Also, any insight to recommendation on where I can learn more about breastfeeding and fasting/detoxing/sauna use would be much appreciated. My son is considered an “extended or full term breastfeeder” at 20 months.
Thank you Dr. Pompa and Ben for another great podcast. I’d love to read the book ASAP. I live in Asia and would like to know if you have a planned date to release a kindle or audio version of the book, Dr. Pompa?
Thank you both for this! I am curious, Dr Pompa, if there’s anything you’d recommend regarding fasting for someone three months into recovery from a trauma that included head injury. Are there any contraindications specific to this? My affinity for sweets and carbs initially was a comfort and now seems to be an issue.
Great Podcast Dr. Pompa. I have a question. I am fat adapted and practice intermittent fasting 16/8 everyday and ver often OMAD. I am currently in day 4 of a 5 day fast after listening to the podcast. Is it okay to drink bone broth or does that break the fast? I make my own from grass fed/finished Beef Bones.
It breaks the fast, anything with a single calorie breaks a fast 🤦🏽♂️
I’d love to read the book. It doesn’t seem to be available. Can you direct me to where I can find it?
I would like to do a fast and have just ordered your book, Dr.Pompa. I am 52, menopause VERY early and have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Would this be contraindicated? (I will still take calcium supplements during the fast.)
My book addresses menopausal women such as yourself. Thanks for ordering!
Thanks for your quick response! I am excited to get started!
can you remind me how to use Bind during a fast… when I fast i usually do a coffee enema in the morning…if that changes anything.
Bind is great during a fast to mitigate detox symptoms. Take 2, 1-3x a day. Bedtime is the best time to take, if you’re only going to take once in a day.
What type of water do you recommend for fasting? Distilled, spring, ro filtered etc.?
Not distilled – but spring, filtered, and RO are all great.
I fast 14/18 hours a day plus a 24 hr fast twice a month. But when i tried a 3 day fast i got too 36 hours and my body completely shut down got the sweats, racing heart foggy head. Had to drink a bone broth in the middle of the night. Then gave in next morning because i felt like crap.
Sounds like there is an upstream source of toxicity, yes. Also, were you fat adapted when you started the fast?
I would say so. I actually bounce between keto / carbs and just did10 day carnivore So should be reasonable fat adapted. I have had Lyme and a host of other co infections for 24 years. Maybe not so simple.
Thanks for your response. Love the info. Will try again soon with cytodetox
Thanks for the great podcast. I’m going to have to combine these insights with what I’m learning out of Boundless…
Just curious, what about black coffee in the morning and more specifically coffee enemas during for example the 5 days water fast window?
Coffee enemas are fantastic! And coffee to drink… test your glucose in the morning, and then again after you drink your black coffee. If the glucose rises more than a couple points, it is indeed breaking your fast and it’s best to skip it.
I have a question as it pertains to heart rate. Last time I fasted, about day 3 I started to experience an elevated heart rate at night and couldnt fall asleep till about 4am and then would be up early. Is this normal and is there a way to combat this or at least keep an eye to make sure nothing crazy is happening?
This is normal – as your body utilizes less energy to digest, you need less sleep. The body has so much energy left over at the end of the day. Also, fasting is a major healing modality, and can cause an elevated heart rate. I would try deep breathing, meditating, epsom salt baths, and check your electrolyte (salt) balance.
Hey thanks a lot Ben and Dr. Pompa. I have a two part question for either or you. I have been put on prednisone for an autoimmune issue that manifests as pericarditis. I’ve wanted to try fasting to give my body a chance to heal, but I am told I need to eat food when I take prednisone to protect my stomach. Any thoughts on getting around this? Also, you recommended a binding supplement to soak up the toxins, should I be concerned about it also soaking up my prednisone? Thanks for any thoughts! I’m an other wise healthy active 28 year old. Hoping this will finally help get me off prednisone!
I would always check with your prescribing doctor when it comes to fasting and any interaction with medications.
Hi there. Dr. Pompa briefly referred to some autophagy lab marker that he had “had done”. I think it was “P16” or something similiar. DO you know anything about this? thanks.
I enjoyed the podcast very much and learnt a lot. I have one question if I may: Doctor Pompa mentioned that one of his children had done a 4 day dry fast. It was not discussed in the podcast, but is dry fasting safe and as efficacious as water fasting? When and why would you choose a dry fast over other types of fasting?
I’m curious about this too. I’ve done many fasts of different sorts. Long water only fasts. I am now trying dry fasting for the first time (just doing one 36 hour, 1.5 day one for now) as I have heard that it’s like a suped up water fast. Greater autophagy. So far though, that’s only hearsay for me.
I often get migraines when I do not eat. Any recommendations on a supplement I should take when I try to fast?
Be sure you have an adequate balance of electrolytes. Add high quality sea salt to your water. 2 tsp a day is great.