May 3, 2018
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
May 3, 2018 podcast: 385 – Should You Drink Coffee On An Empty Stomach, The Ultimate Airplane Biohacking Guide, and Natural Ways To Increase Testosterone.
Have a podcast question for Ben? Click the tab on the right (or go to SpeakPipe), use the Contact button on the app, or click the contact link in the footer..
News Flashes [00:06:30]
Fascinating interview on longevity…(warning: about a 10-minute read).
Would you put “young blood” into your body? Fascinating article.
Calorie restriction lowers your metabolism, but also helps you live longer…typical tradeoff
Good reason to maintain a bit of muscle as you age, eh?
You can receive these News Flashes (and more) every single day, if you follow Ben on Twitter.com/BenGreenfield, Instagram.com/BenGreenfieldFitness, Facebook.com/BGFitness, BenGreenfieldFitness.com/Snapchat, and Google+.
Special Announcements [00:29:08]
This podcast is brought to you by:
-Purathrive – Go to purathrive.com/bengreenfield to automatically get 15% off anything that tickles your fancy.
-Thrive Market – Go to thrivemarket.com/ben to get $60 of free organic groceries now!
–Click here to follow Ben on Snapchat, and get ready for some epic stories about his morning, day and evening routine!
-NEW! Click here for the official BenGreenfieldFitness calendar.
– May 5-6, 2018: Montana Beast and Sprint Weekend, Bigfork, Montana. Join the Spartan Race and discover beautiful Kalispell, Montana as we attempt to make history by breaking the Guinness World Record for most people performing burpees at one time!
– May 19-20, 2018: Socal Beast and Sprint Weekend, Big Bear Lake, California. Big Bear Mountain Resort is a ski area in Southern California. Care to take a guess why ski areas make such great venues for Spartan Races? That’s right…hills! Come out and join me at this incredible race!
– May 26, 2018: Train to Hunt, Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Whether you’re a flatlander, hunt out west, or are past your prime, join me and make yourself a better hunter through fitness. Sign up to join me here!
– May 31 – June 3, 2018: A-Fest, Sardinia, Italy. A-Fest is an invite-only transformational event that gathers a global tribe of change-makers and visionaries who are driven by epic ideas to impact the world. Apply now to get invited.
– June 28 – July 22, 2018: Mind Valley U, Tallinn, Estonia. Mindvalley U is a month-long transformational event that is designed to create a university style education model for all ages. It’s a reimagining of college, community, curriculum, and campus. Best of all it’s available for all ages – whether you are 9 or 90. This will be one of those things you look back on and say: it changed my life. Mind Valley U will be held in Tallinn, Estonia. Did you know the incredible medieval city of Tallinn, Estonia is known for being a city with the highest number of startups per capita and one of the most cutting-edge tech nations on the face of the planet? Sign up, join me, and transform your life!
– July 19, 2018: Ancestral Health Symposium, Bozeman, Montana. “AHS” is a scientific conference which provides a forum for learning and discussion on all areas of human health. With evolutionary mismatch as a unifying theory, speakers present on topics including diet, movement, sleep, stress, epigenetics, and more. Join me this summer!
– October 14-16, 2018: SPARK BioHacking Conference, Toronto, Ontario. The 2018 SPARK Bio-Hack Conference will feature a series of talks by leaders – including yours truly – across a range of fields with an eye on optimizing human performance, recovery, and longevity. Researchers, medical specialists and other biohacking experts will share provocative, informative, and inspiring presentations meant to invigorate you. Besides boosting your performance, you’ll also get to hang out with hundreds of people from your tribe. The SPARK Bio-Hack Conference is a convergence of people who are pushing the limits of what the human mind and body can do. Discover how cross-pollination can get you to the next level. Registration is now open, secure your spot here.
– December 2-8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Balaji Palace, Dominican Republic. It's happening again…one of the coolest, most kick-ass events of the year – especially if you dig adventure, fitness and beautiful destination travel. You are cordially invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. This event always fills out fast and last I heard only a couple rooms were left. The retreat will be held in the Dominican Republic, at one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean. With its majestic location on a cliff’s edge overlooking its own private beach, the Balaji Palace is an oceanside paradise – and we've got the whole place to ourselves. In all RUNGA activities from yoga to snorkeling, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you'll be getting into at RUNGA, just click here. Don't forget to use code BEN when you register for a surprise free gift when you arrive! And of course, I'll be there too. Register here.
Giveaways & Goodies [01:29:36]
-Click here to get your own GreenfieldFitnessSystems.com gift pack, handpicked by Ben and chock full of $300 worth of biohacks, supplements, books and more. All at 50% discount!
-Grab your Official Ben Greenfield Fitness Gear package that comes with a tech shirt, a beanie and a water bottle.
-And of course, this week's top iTunes review – gets some BG Fitness swag straight from Ben – click here to leave your review for a chance to win some!
As compiled, deciphered, edited and sometimes read by Brock Armstrong, the Podcast Sidekick.
Should You Drink Coffee On An Empty Stomach? [00:42:53]
Prahkar says: I just wanted to know if coffee is ok on an empty stomach. Somewhere I read that it is not ok to have without food. I usually fast for a long time so I want to know if it is ok to have on a very empty stomach.
–How To Fix Your Gut, Boost Immunity & Improve Athletic Performance With Nature's “First Food”
–Why Healthy People Get Broken Guts, And What You Can Do About It
–How To Fix Your Gut: 9 Bad Things That Happen When Your Digestion Goes Wrong, How To Hit The Reboot Button & The Best Way To Detox Your Body.
The Ultimate Airplane Biohacking Guide [00:53:51]
Peter says: I'd really like your help with joint pain and flying. I just returned from a surfing trip in El Salvador and once again, about halfway through the flight, I felt like I was going to fall apart. I am doing all the right things like fasting before the flight, taking activated charcoal, staying well hydrated and I stand up periodically throughout the flight. Jet lag is fine but mid-flight I feel like I have the flu all over my body. I have many plates and screws in me from broken bones. Is this from cabin pressure? Or lack of Oxygen? I would appreciate your ideas here. Thanks!
–Core Coiling Madness With The Insane Inventor Of The Bosu Ball, The “Club” & Much More: The David Weck Podcast
–Graduated compression gear
–J-hook travel pillow
–Sony wired noise blocking headphones
–Wraparound sleep mask
–Reishi mushroom from FourSigmatic
–Element Health CBD Oil or PrimalHacker CBD Oil (Code BEN10) or the new Thorne Hemp
-Book “Change Your Schedule, Change Your Life”
–Omica Organics Vanilla Stevia
Natural Ways To Increase Testosterone [01:17:18]
Wendy says: I am internationally competitive in a WADA regulated weight class sport, Olympic weightlifting. I listen to your podcast and do a lot of research on my own to maximize muscle and strength building while staying lean and very clean. I would love a rundown of all the natural ways that I can, especially as a very lean woman, increase my HGH and Testosterone in order to build and maximize my strength.
-Study: Effects of High vs. Low Protein Intake on Body Composition and Maximal Strength in Aspiring Female Physique Athletes Engaging in an 8-Week Resistance Training Program
–Kion Essential Amino Acids
–How To Use Growth Hormone Stacks For A Better Body: Everything You Need To Know About IGF-LR3, GHRP, and GHRH Peptide Stacks
–Should You Use This Controversial Hormone Marketed As A Natural “Fountain Of Youth”?
–PeakFitPro for single set to failure – use code greenfield to get $200 off
–6 Ways to Increase Testosterone With Exercise
Prior to asking your question, do a search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Fitness!
23 thoughts on “385: The Latest On Longevity, Natural Ways To Increase Testosterone, Should You Drink Coffee On An Empty Stomach, The Ultimate Airplane Biohacking Guide & More!”
Hey Ben! A little late with this comment, but I’d love to hear under what circumstances you take edible THC when flying. Does it make you sleep or do you find that it makes your a little more wired? Thanks and I hop you find the time to respond! Keep up your great work! – Tim
CBD, not THC, like this: BenGreenfieldFitness.com/CBD It relaxes me.
Late to comment on this one… Wanted your opinion on Testosterone Replacement Therapy. For a couple years I have struggled to maintain a normal range of T. Free T is usually very low around 7.4. I was placed on the injection and had all the weird side effects most people don’t get (high prostate level, thick blood, etc.) I stopped the shots after about 3 months and started a Ketogenic diet and noticed a lot of increase in consistent energy and fat loss and for the most part felt good. I went back after 4 months of being off the shot and my T is low again and he now wants me to try the cream. I feel like there has to be a natural way to increase it. All my other hormones and blood work came back practically perfect except the T I’m 30, eating clean, an L1 CrossFit trainer and consistently working out doing a well rounded CrossFit training program. Any advice here? I’d like to avoid the replacement therapy as much as possible.
Trever, I am not a doctor and this is not to be taken, interpreted or construed as medical advice. I have plenty more resources on BenGreenfieldFitness.com for naturally increasing testosterone:
https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/hormones… https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/biohacki… https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/hormones…
Personally, I would try these before anything else. These are just my own personal thoughts and not a prescription or a diagnosis or any form of health care whatsoever.
I mean J pillow (no Hook).
Nope, it's the longer J shaped one.
Your J-hook pillow link goes to a Travelrest pillow that’s torso length. Do you mean the J Pillow (no J) make in the UK?
What do you think of Dr. Valter Longo’s longevity research? He’s the director of USC’s longevity research clinic and has recently released a book (in the US, it’s been out a while in Italy) entitled The Longevity Diet. His research shows that the greatest biological processes – autophagy, bad cells and cell parts regenerated, production of stem cells, etc. – are achieved on a longer fast than intermittent fasting achieves. I believe he states it really starts after 3 fasting days and he recommends 5. Actually, he says you just have to lower calories for 5 days and don’t even need to fast, calling this a “fast mimicking” diet. His clinical test results have been remarkable, even showing regeneration of damaged nerve myelin and pancreas beta cells in type 1 diabetic mice, among other things. And he says benefits can be achieved by only doing this once a year, but obese people with diabetes (generally those sickest) should do it up to once a month. He has recommendations for the rest of the month that are interesting, including grains, breads, and pasta. Most of your contemporaries have interviewed him but nobody, even Perlmutter, has asked him about his recommendations to include pasta, bread, and grains daily. We need you to interview him and ask the right questions! Report to us at Runga!
Great question mate, and Ben I second this question.. also he is recommending grains which is bizarre given the many guests that have been on your show.. also recommends not eating red meat at all.
After listening to guests on your show I started eating red meat again!
Would love to hear your opinion on his FMD
A lot of this comes down to Biochemical Individuality… What works great for some, maybe not so much for others. Personally, I don't consume many processed grains/abundance of carbs, but I do like a carb refeed of something like sweet potatoes in the evening, and I like grass-fed red meat in moderation
Can’t find a website to buy the Elemental CBD Oil or PrimalHacker CBD Oil. Would it be possible to have a link for these?
Keep up the great work!
Links have been added! Thanks!
I’m a fan of your podcast but have a suggestion you might not be aware of. Your episode titles are way too long. I download the episodes from my laptop onto an ipod shuffle so I can listen while I run and it’s really difficult to download because I can barely find the download link which shows up at the end. This episode is the perfect example.
I know you may be doing it for search reasons but it’s not very user friendly and you may not realize that :-)
Thanks for the podcast and all the great info!
Thanks for the suggestion!
Any plans for KION warehouse in EU? The shipping costs, customs, taxes… are just ridiculous :)
Maybe in the future!
Ben, I’m a little confused about when the SPARK Biohacking Conference is in Toronto…is it Oct 5-7 or Oct 14-16… you have 2 different published dates out there and I am your biggest fan EVER and want to attend!!!!!!!
14-16, thanks for bringing that to my attention. It's been updated!
Tell Brock to try the exercises recommended at uprighthealth.com for heel pain. Worked for me. The focus is on hip flexibility!
Thank you so much for Podcast #365. I listen to all your podcasts but all your “hacks” for airplane travel may just save my stress level for a business/family trip to hawaii coming up. I don’t fly well. I never have. It makes me air sick then I stress about it as well. I’m very excited to try some of these hacks pre-travel so I will be ready for an 8 hour flight to hawaii in a few months! Thank you so much!
I heard you and Brock talking about heel spurs, check out a full vid that I did on Haglund’s deformity, Achille’s pain and bone spurs…cheers!
Before you get the blood transfusion read “Nowhere Man,” by Gregg Hurwitz. Please tell me this is not happening. It will spon the likes of the bad guy in the book.