May 9, 2019
Q&A Episode 396
Have a podcast question for Ben? Click the button at the bottom of the page (or go to SpeakPipe), or use the Contact button in the free Ben Greenfield Fitness app. Click here for some tips on how to have the best chance of having your question featured on the show!
News Flashes [9:00]
- The new podcast host Jay Wiles's website
The latest “red meat gives you cancer study” shows only a RELATIVE risk increase from 0.5% to 0.6%…AND only with processed meat. Read headlines and studies carefully folks:
This paper is freakin’ awesome, and shows how humans adapt to stressors such as cold, altitude, and diving.
Biohackers are implanting everything from magnets to sex toys.
Special Announcements [28:30]
–Click here to follow Ben on Snapchat, and get ready for some epic stories about his morning, day and evening routine!
Ben's Adventures: [28:30]
– May 29, 2019: Community Talk on Stem Cell Procedure, Charleston, South Carolina. Sign up for an exclusive, semi-private event featuring myself and Dr. Craig Koniver of Koniver Wellness. The lively discussion will take place at Tradd’s downtown over dinner in a private room for 80 guests. Sign up here!
– June 6, 2019: An Afternoon of Transformation with Ben Greenfield, Denver, Colorado. A special event hosted by MaxLiving, which exists to transform lives through chiropractic.
– June 15, 2019: Ultimate Fitness Run, Mt. Spokane, Washington. Join me and my family for a fun, as-competitive-as-you-make-it day outside for an OCR-style challenge. Register here while you still can. This event sells out quickly each year. Save with code: BEN10UFR and register here.
– June 23 – July 7, 2019: European Detox Retreat, Paracelsus al Ronc, Switzerland. At this 2019 liver detox and R&R retreat at the beautiful Swiss Mountain Clinic in the Italian quarter of Switzerland, you’ll stay on-site and receive diagnostics and treatments from the best doctors of biological medicine to detox your liver and your soul. Here’s the link to more info.
– August 3, 2019: Spartan Sprint at the LA Stadium, Los Angeles, California. It’s Rally Time, Los Angeles. The Big A. Angel Stadium. Whatever you call it, this place is legendary. Now, Spartan is headed to this historic ballpark for an epic Stadion course. Get ready to take on 3 miles and 20 obstacles through nearly every part of the stadium. Sign up here!
– September 27 – 29, 2019: Spartan World Championships, Squaw Valley, California. Right beside Lake Tahoe, this epic venue was once host to the 1960 Olympic Winter Games. Join me there for the greatest obstacle course race in North Tahoe Lake, Olympic Village, CA. Sign up here. Sign up here!
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
This podcast is brought to you by:
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BGF10.
–JOOVV: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give it a try: you won't be disappointed. Order using my link and receive a nice bonus gift with your order!
–ButcherBox: Delivers healthy 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door on a monthly basis. All their products are humanely raised and NEVER given antibiotics or hormones. New subscribers will receive 2 LBS of FREE wild-caught Alaskan salmon + $20 OFF their first box by going to butcherbox.com/ben
–Zip Recruiter: As your qualified candidates roll in, we make it easy to screen & rate them, allowing you to make the best hiring decisions for your business. Try it for free when you use my link!
Should You Eat Black Ant Extract? [37:20]
Sartell says: I recently purchased the polyrhachis ant supplement. I took it prior to a workout and I felt an analgesic effect. I've had many shoulder surgeries, and I felt a lot better when I took this. I did some more research and saw it is touted as having anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects. I know that antioxidants can blunt the hormetic effect of exercise. So should I be worried about that with this supplement?
In my response, I recommend:
–Black Ant Extract from Lost Empire Herbs
–My podcast on hydrogen-rich water
–Thorne Quercetin phytosome
–Organic green tea polyphenol
–Blood flow restriction straps (BFR Bands)
–Study: Exercise, oxidants, and antioxidants change the shape of the bell-shaped hormesis curve
How To Keep Coffee From Giving You Adrenal Fatigue [59:40]
Unknown says: I'm a big fan of coffee, and excellent coffee at that. I have a concern that I am stressing my adrenals constantly. What do you suggest on how to enjoy my coffee and keep my adrenals in good shape, or am I worried for no reason?
In my response, I recommend:
–Organic decaf coffee
–Four Sigmatic Reishi
–Tulsi (holy basil) extract
–American Nutriceuticals Whole Foods Vitamin C
–Jigsaw Vitamin C + Lysine
–Colima Sea Salt
–Organic Ceylon Cinnamon
Are Pre-Workout Supplements Addictive? [1:13:15]
Unknown says: What's your take on pre-workout supplements? I assume the answer has to do with what kind of exercise the person is doing and what he/she is trying to achieve. Do you recommend pre-workout supplements? Will my body become addicted to the extra “boost” meaning if I don't take the supplement, I'll feel weaker and slower?
In my response, I recommend:
–NuCalm (use code: BEN50 to get 50% off on the Performance Package or the PRO complete system)
–Biotropic Lab supplements (use code: BENA for 20% off + free shipping)
–Essential amino acids
–Wim Hof Breathwork
–Brad Kearn's article on BGF about cold thermogenesis pre-workout
Giveaways & Goodies [1:20:15]
-This week's top iTunes review – gets some BG Fitness swag straight from Ben – click here to leave your review for a chance to win some!
Prior to asking your question, do a search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Fitness!
9 thoughts on “396: The Myth About Antioxidants Blunting Exercise Response, Does Red Meat Really Give You Cancer, How To Make Coffee Healthier, Are Pre-Workout Supplements Addictive? (& The Brand New Ben Greenfield Podcast Co-Host Revealed!)”
I see that you recommend also wimhof techinque that i was reading https://hackiom.com/metodo-wim-hof/
If I can only buy one Joovv Go for testosterone enhancing purposes (i.e. shining it on my gonads) which should I get, the Red or the NIR version?
Thanks for the discount link!
Love this episode btw!!!
Love your work bro!
Re Coffee draining peoples adrenals: I have found through self tasting & testing on my clients Cold Extraction methods reduce the ‘caffeine spike’ & nervous system response dramatically. For Cold Brew i use an 18hr steep in the fridge at 1:10 ration ( 100g coarsely ground Organic Coffee to 1ltr of filtered water) in a glass jar over night & then just filter into a glass jar for a couple of days supply. This is my method when on the road obviously i scale it up for commercial application. My question is what is the science behind this ? Is it the heat say from espresso that extracts a higher concentration of alkaloids?
But to contradict that theory i feel like you get a stronger & longer lasting ‘ high ‘ from Cold Brew or Drip.
In regards to eating black ant extract. Can we hunt our own ants and gain the benefits or is this extract unique because of the ginseng? Thanks a bunch
Get it from a good source. I'll vouch for lost Empire. You don't want a bunch of herbicide sprayed ants.
What is he best source for getting my 23 and Me data deconstructed so I can know what genes I have and don’t have that impact diet selection? I joined 23 and Me before they reduced the number of snippets.I tried DNA fit and it was useless. I used Prometheus but it was too confusing. Is it that Canadian company that you used that charges $700?
Check 23andYou.com – and also go google and listen to my podcast with Ben Lynch of Stratagene.
You could try Dr. Rhonda Patrick’s genetics tools at https://www.foundmyfitness.com/genetics — They’re a bit easier to understand than the Promethease reports.