March 14, 2020
In last week's post entitled “Three Little Known, Unconventional Antiviral Approaches For Boosting Your Immune System,” I shared some tips on how to improve your immune system via fully comprehensive, novel, and alternative health strategies—strategies that often go beyond simple pharmaceutical pill-popping or conventional medicine (similar to my previous posts on issues I've personally dealt with in the past, such as MRSA, and Giardia). In that article, I dove into natural ways I've been strengthening my immune system for my hefty amount of airline travel, even in the face of recent viral outbreaks that have made me have to be even more careful and thorough in my approach.
Two friends of mine, Drs. Matthew Cook and Matthew Dawson, are true experts in the realms of functional and precision medicine, and both were kind enough to offer me their advice when it comes to boosting immunity and fighting viruses. I've included their audio in this podcast for your listening and learning pleasure.
My first guest, Dr. Matthew Cook, has been on the following podcasts:
- Killing Mold & Mycotoxins For Good, The Craziest IVs You Can Get For Energy, Fixing Knees & Back Without Surgery & Much More.
- Immortal Cells, Biohacking Pain, Killing Lyme, Stem Cell Confusion, How Ketamine Works & Much More
- What You Didn’t Know About CBD & THC, Fixing Lyme Disease, The Full Body Blood Change Reboot, Peptides 101, Hyperthermia & Much More
Dr. Cook founded BioReset Medical Corporation and, as acting President, operates a regenerative and pain medicine practice that offers leading-edge non-surgical solutions in orthopedic medicine, sports medicine, regenerative pain medicine, and stem cell medicine.
He is a board-certified anesthesiologist with over 20 years of experience in medical practice. Currently, Dr. Cook is president of California Anesthesia and medical director of the National Surgery Center, Los Gatos, CA.
Dr. Cook’s early career as an anesthesiologist and medical director of an outpatient surgery center that specializes in sports medicine and orthopedic procedures provided invaluable training in the skills that are needed to become a leader in the emerging fields of musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging, nerve hydrodissection, and stem cell medicine. Dr. Cook has recently begun doing telemedicine “Ketamine Resets” as well. Follow the link to learn more, and use code BENDEAL for a $250 discount.
My second pair of guests, Drs Matt Dawson and Michael Mallin of WildHealthMD, have been on the following podcasts:
- How To Use Precision Medicine To Enhance Athletic Performance, Defy Aging, Balance Hormones, Fix The Heart & Much More.
- Why Your DNA Is Worthless (& What You Need To Focus On Instead)
- CBD & Cannabis Special Episode: How CBD Affects Hormones, Fat Loss, Athletic Performance, Sleep, Recovery & Much More
Dr. Matt Dawson is a precision medicine physician in Lexington, KY, co-host of the Wild Health Podcast, and has been obsessed with performance optimization as long as he can remember. He received scholarships to play two sports in college even with “minimal talent” because of his voracious reading and implementation of any fitness or nutritional techniques that would give him an edge. Dr. Dawson continued that obsession in medical school, and as a physician, he has won national awards for education, innovation, and leadership. He has lectured in over 20 countries and trained thousands of other physicians through live lectures, online education, two textbooks, and an educational app.
Dr. Dawson combines his training in genomics and functional medicine to give personalized, precise medical guidance. His obsession with performance optimization has morphed from, initially athletic, to now mental performance and longevity. Whether it's a professional athlete or a grandparent optimizing their mental clarity and mobility to keep up with their grandkids, Dr. Dawson is passionate about helping everyone perform at their absolute peak.
Dr. Michael Mallin is a physician in Bend, OR who is obsessed with health performance and precision medicine and is co-founder of the Wild Health Podcast. He completed medical school in South Carolina and trained in Emergency Medicine in Salt Lake City, UT where he competed in several ultramarathons and found his love for the mountains and performance.
Dr. Mallin currently practices in Bend, OR and Lexington, KY in his precision medicine clinics. He is also co-founder of the Ultrasound Podcast, an educational podcast that has taught thousands of physicians all over the world how to use ultrasound.
During this podcast, you'll discover:
Part 1 with Dr. Matt Cook of BioReset Medical
-Dr. Cook's history with virology…7:10
- Studied feline immunodeficiency virus, a model for HIV
- Anesthesiologist with an interesting approach to pain management
- Began to successfully treat patients with complex illnesses
- Many patients have viral infections, chronic illnesses with a viral overlight
-A brief history of viral epidemics…9:08
- Influenza pandemic from 1918-1920 (Spanish flu) infected over 500 million people worldwide; 17-50 million people died
- Fear of affecting morale of WWI soldiers; publicity was censored in Germany, U.S., U.K.
- The virus created an extreme inflammatory response
- Young people were especially susceptible
- SARS and MERS occurred more recently
- Both respiratory viruses
- Mortality rate from SARS was 9.6%; MERS was 34.4%
- Current mortality rate of COVID-19 is unclear right now
- Pattern of viral infections that create an exaggerated response, particularly in the lungs
- 3 categories of patients:
- 80% will get the virus and recover with no complications
- Patients with preexisting conditions are at greater risk
- Healthy patients get a viral infection, have an overreactive immune response
-What a “coronavirus” is…15:00
- Viruses are extremely small
- Cold climates are ideal for viruses; they are very rare in tropical climates
- How are viruses transmitted?
- Respiratory droplets and other bodily fluids
- Stringent approach to maintaining cleanliness for prevention and treatment
- Pneumonia, fever, cough, shortness of breath; affects both lungs
- Symptoms can be in GI tract, low white blood cell counts
- Most common symptoms: fever, dry cough, tiredness; often there are no symptoms
- Most common complication is pneumonia
- Best practices for avoiding the virus:
- Avoid traveling to infected places
- Careful hand washing
- Avoid touching T zones
- Avoid crowded areas
- Keep your living area clean
- Majority of cases are relatively mild
- Small number can have complex problems
- Common symptoms:
- Muscle pain
- Shortness of breath
-What the cytokine storm is…22:30
- Primary target is the respiratory system
- Virus can't replicate itself without getting into a cell
- Body responds by making chemical messengers to create inflammatory response to fight the virus
- Inflammatory process is out of control; doesn't take effect
- Best known inflammatory cytokine is tumor necrosis factor A (TNF-A)
- Turns on other cytokines, promote an exaggerated inflammatory response
- Factors that drive the cytokine storm:
- Nuclear factor-kappa beta (nuclear factor kappa bad)
- Block nuclear factor kappa beta, turn on NrF2 (helps modulate inflammatory response to a stress)
- Status of testing:
- Quest diagnostics will offer a test for the current viral outbreak
- Gates Foundation working on an at-home test
- How to treat influenza:
- Hand-washing is one of the greatest medical concepts of our time
- Patients with mild illnesses can self-quarantine
-Treatment options for viruses…33:45
- Most important factor is containment
- Improve your hygiene
- A great job done with the 80% of mild cases gives hope that it will be beat
- Steroids have done more harm than good in the past
- Be aware of anti-viral medications
- NAC (antiviral effects)
- Vitamin C
- Plant-derived antioxidants with antiviral effects
- Upregulate NrF2
- Ozone therapy may be an activator
-A functional medicine approach to wellness…40:18
- Plato: “The part can never be well unless the whole is well”
- Systems approach is the best way to improve immune system
- Immune system is centered in the gut
- Problems come with age because diversity in microbiome goes down
- SIBO leads to leaky gut
- Difficulties in fighting chronic illness is due to multiple systems in the body dysfunctioning
- Increasing overall wellness provides the best defense against viruses
- Effective supplements for immune system wellness:
- Vitamin C administered intravenously
- Vitamin D (pro-survival molecule) helps dampen chronic reactions
- Curcumin and quercetin has been found to inhibit kappa b
- Probiotics may balance the GI tract
- X-Viromin Apex Energetics
- Life Extensions Zinc Lozenges
- Quercetin Vitamin C combo
- Vitamin A helpful to immune system, Vitamin D offsets some of the toxicity (cod liver oil)
- Quicksilver “The One”
- Apex Energetics Turmero
- NAD Gold from Quicksilver
- Royal jelly
- Raw honey
- Oleuropein (derivative of olive leaf)
-What ozone therapy is…1:06:35
- Used by naturopaths and more and more doctors
- Nikola Tesla patented first ozone generator in 1896
- Ozone has antiviral, anti-fungal, antiparasitic effects
- Stimulates NrF2
- Decreases cytokines
- Ozone is an oxidative therapy (helpful used with anti-oxidative treatments)
- Ozone can oxidize sulfhydryl groups on the virus (may block ability of the virus to get into the cell)
- “Oxidative preconditioning”
- Pretreatment with ozone could be beneficial before exposure to a chronic infection
- How is it administered:
- Ozone generator
- Ozone enema
- Sauna treatment
- Mix with blood, reinsert into body
- Ozone dialysis
- Proponents of ozone therapy:
- Dr. Frank Shallenberger, world's foremost authority on ozone therapy
- Dr. Johann Lahodny (high dose ozone therapy)
- Dr. Robert Rowen
- Longevity ozone generators
-How exosomes affect the immune system…1:28:30
- Exosomes are the secretion of stem cells
- The person who invented the term “stem cell” changed it to “medicinal signaling cell”
- Exosomes have TGF beta
- Patients with COPD have had exosome treatments
- Can be administered via IV or nebulizer
- Trial: Stem cells grown in a lab given to patients with the current virus
Part 2 with Drs. Dawson and Mallin of Wild Health…1:48:12
-What we know about COVID-19 at the time of recording (12 March 2020)…1:50:00
- COVID-19 is the illness not the virus (SARS 2)
- COVID-2 is the virus
- “Coronavirus” is a family of viruses
- Lower respiratory health is affected
- Virus is spread without feeling symptoms
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
- Case fatality rate reported as 3.4%; varies by country
- Transmissibility rate is the number of people you'll infect on average (2.2 currently)
- Worse on the elderly, mild on children
- The data is changing by the hour
-How COVID-19 compares with pandemics from the past…1:53:47
- 2009 H1N1 infected 25% of global population
- 1918 Spanish flu infected 1/3 of the pop.
- Mortality rate of COVID-19 is 3.4% currently; predicted to be lower
- H1N1 was very low
- Spanish flu was the highest mortality rate on record
- COVID-19 has a higher mortality rate than common flu and H1N1
- Higher mortality rate than Spanish flu currently
- It's difficult to test for COVID-19, knowledge of how to quarantine
- It's not if it will be a big deal; it will be a big deal
- Exponential growth: Without containment measures, the virus would double every 6 days
- How to test for COVID-19
- Quest Diagnostics
- Lab Corp
- Send in tests to avoid exposure to infected people
- Watch Wild Health website for updates
-How to improve your immune system…1:59:03
- Standard hygiene
- Wash hands
- Don't touch face
- Avoid public contact (self-quarantine)
- Flatten out the curve
- Government interventions (St. Louis vs. Philadelphia with the Spanish flu)
- No approved FDA treatments currently
- No better time to clean up your diet
- Smoking and obesity is a factor for mortality
- Get more and better sleep
- Exercise without overdoing it
- Green smoothies
- Vitamin D
- Olive leaf extract
- Four Sigmatic mushroom extract
- Vitamin C
- Thymosin A
- Pentosan polysulfate
- Ceylon cinnamon
-What to do if you start to feel ill…2:14:19
- Follow CDC and WHO guidelines
- You're best served at home
- Telemedicine (phone consults)
- Don't go to the clinic unless there is a tangible benefit for doing so
- Children are not affected as severely but there is a high risk of communicating it to others (grandparents for example)
- Closing schools may be important for public health
-Specific advice to health care workers…2:21:12
- Have appropriate personal protective gear
- N95 masks
- Understand how to properly don and doff the gear
- Protect yourself first
- Isolate infected patients
- Nebulizers may spread the infection
- Understand intubation procedures
- Shave facial hair for the mask to fit
- Elderly are the most vulnerable
- We don't know how well current tests are performing
Click here to visit Bioreset Medical for getting your peptides – they have now become Ben's trusted source for the highest-quality peptides.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Resources from this episode:
– BGF Article: Three Little Known, Unconventional Antiviral Approaches For Boosting Your Immune System.
– Immune Support graphic from Wild Health
– Wild Health website
– Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
– International Peptide Society
–JOOVV: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give it a try: you won't be disappointed. Order using my link and receive my brand new book, Boundless absolutely free!
–Clearlight Saunas: You can be sure that I researched all the saunas before I bought mine and Clearlight was the one that stood out from all the rest because of their EMF and ELF Shielding and their Lifetime Warranty. Use discount code: BENGREENFIELD to get $500 off your sauna and a free bonus gift!
–Water and Wellness: The best solution for clean and safe drinking water. Water and Wellness also offers an amazing line of essential water additives such as Quinton Marine plasma which contain over 78 trace minerals and elements from the ocean to help restore your biological-terrain. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code: GREENFIELD
26 thoughts on “Everything You Need To Know For Antivirus & Immune System Enhancement: A Special One-Two Podcast Episode With Dr. Matt Cook, Dr. Matt Dawson, & Dr. Michael Mallin.”
I specifically like CBD Isolate Crystals because they do not contain any THC so I have peace of mind in the case that I have to take a drug test for work because I am a fire fighter.
nicotine for downregulating ACE2 receptors?
If we “up-regulate” our immune system in an effort to fight off Covid, does that make us more susceptible to having or complicating a potential cytokine storm?
I’m hearing mixed things about Vitamin D, your explanation of up regulation of NRF-2 made lots of sense, but now I’m seeing evidence that it up regulates ACE2, the binding site for COVID-19. Thoughts? Thank you for the great info, especially appreciated the part for HCP.
Minute 22 did not make sense. He says that the virus tends to thrive in cold weather but then says animals kept in cold chambers seem more protected from virus.????? Please clarify.
Dr Cook mentioned thymosin alpha-1 (Thα1) peptide as good for T-cell activation and a potential immunity booster. However, according to this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30974297 Thα1 peptide inhibits ACE enzyme activity. Wont that leave more ACE2 receptors open for the virus to attach?? Am I misunderstanding how this works?
chasing the show notes, after posting my own condensed notes on this podcast to various groups i’m being asked for show notes or sources/citations.
is a show notes link going to happen?
These are the shownotes… the page you're commenting on.
Dr. Cook’s voice, dry throat/mouth, and monotone is driving me nuts. I tried….Couldn’t make it past 30 minutes. TRANSCRIPT PLEASE!!
Yeah it’s quite painful, not bad on 1.25x speed though :)
I was really interested in the info but had to fold halfway through and thought “yeah, will just check out the show notes”.
The monotone and “ums “ and “ahh’s” every few seconds were patience-wearing but it was the incessant swallows, gulps, lip-smacking and the sticky-saliva sounds that had my misophonia throw on the towel finally lol. All I could think was “PLEASE have a drink of water, man!” 😩
So, couldn’t focus on the info and…here I am looking up the show notes instead 😆
With that said, thank you for the info, Dr Cook. Appreciate your knowledge and time.
It was really difficult to listen to Dr. Matthew Cook. Is there a transcribed version coming soon?
Great info, Ben. Very sane and thorough. Gave me a pointer to ask my doc about, since he has an account with Tailor Made. I have a very sensitive ear, and do not see the problem a few complained about. Sure, the doc isn’t a polished radio voice, but I heard nothing amiss worth mentioning. So grateful they all gave their time for such a complete dive into the topic.
Hey Ben, what sort of things besides diet and exercise could help my pregnant wife boost her immune system right now during the outbreak?
Just do a search on https://BenGreenfieldFitness.com, I've got a ton of resources for boosting the immune system on my site (including this podcast).
with all due respect, Dr. Cook could you provide links to your supporting data. I have seen different information. It’s confusing when the fact that the new virus is one of many being worked on in the new level 4 bio lab in China isn’t mentioned at all. If I’m not mistaken this is crisper like technology. virus mix with an added diarrhea-causing bacteria,
Going to listen to the podcast today. As far as I can see there’s no mention of Hydrogen Therapy.
Found this study very interesting. “Hydrogen Medicine Therapy: An Effective and Promising Novel Treatment for Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome (MODS) Induced by Influenza and Other Viral Infections Diseases?”
See the below Hypothesis from the study.
Our hypothesis is that hydrogen-rich solution therapy may be a safe, reliable, effective, and specific treatment for MODS induced by influenza and other viral infectious diseases. Given the theory that molecular hydrogen can both significantly down regulate expressions of inflammation-related genes and selectively reduce hydroxyl radical and Peroxynitrite, we have reasons to consider that cytokine storm and oxidative stress can be suppressed when getting infected with avian influenza and other severe viruses [1,11,12,43-45]. Our theory is unique because it not only puts forward a new kind of non-toxic antiviral therapy but also makes hydrogen-based medicine able to heal disease in to the whole body.
Be careful with high volume. Great info but wow this guys has the worst dry mouth problem. Constantly licking and sucking his mouth fears a horrible listening experience.
I have never been so disappointed in Ben’s Podcast. Be warned!
If you were paying attention to that instead of the information my guess is you’re not worried about covid2 enough. I say this to inspire everybody to take this PANDEMIC 1000% seriously, so we can get over it asap. w love
I tend to agree on the licking lips thing, but I don’t expect every living person to be perfect on the mic.
Listening now, thank you ben, and all doctors involved for the effort.
Misophonia is a real thing. Don’t be too hard on the fellow.
If only he had spent his time learning to talk into a microphone instead of studying about human health.