May 4, 2019
The “Kentucky Castle” is a unique destination hotspot with a full biohacking facility, sauna, farm-to-table restaurant, precision medicine arm, hemp farm, horse facilities, and much more. It is owned by one of the physicians who hosts the “Wild Health” podcast, on which I was recently a guest.
Recently, at the castle, I had the pleasure of giving a talk on how to hack your biology and get the most out of the genetics you were born with.
Afterward, I took part in a Q&A with several of the physicians in attendance at the conference. On today's podcast, part two of this two-part series (click here to listen to part one), you'll get to sit in on this very interesting discussion. Enjoy!
Questions and topics covered in the session…
-Follow-up questions for Ben from his presentation…6:48
- Q: What do you think of using the ChiliPad long term, particularly as it pertains to EMF and dirty electricity?
- Q: Do you think Great Plains Lab's test for mycotoxins is not valid?
- A: They're legit.
- Q: You said a score of 3.8 for the TSH is good but not optimal. How do you figure out what your optimal levels should be?
- Q: Is it true that if you take colostrum on an empty stomach, it won't raise your insulin-like growth factor (IGF)?
- A: I've never heard that. Colostrum is an anabolic.
-What is the ideal estradiol post-menopause?…12:45
- Get it back to pre-menopausal levels
- Book: Estrogen Matters
-How does a sense of spirituality and spiritual practice play into one's health and wellness?…16:12
- Changes epigenetic expression, improves sleep cycles
- Gratitude changes level of empathy toward others
- Blue zones have strong beliefs in a higher power, meditation, etc.
- Medical students are not trained in the efficacy of spirituality
- Physicians “curse” patients; “so much time left to live”
-How would you increase free testosterone naturally?…19:19
- Avoid heavy amounts of intense exercise (HIIT)
- Prioritize sexual experience; send body the signal you're maintaining fertility
- Decrease insulin resistance; increase healthy fatty acids
- JOOVV light
- Get adequate rest
- Stress management
- Primal Jet Pack
-How does ashwagandha play a role in cortisol and other adaptogens?…26:30
- Ashwagandha supplement
- Four Sigmatic (Receive a 15% discount using code: BENGREENFIELD)
- Books by Dr. Shawn Talbott
-How long would a dietary change take to see a change in the Omega 3 Index?…28:25
- At least 3 months
- Can vary from person to person
- SMASH fish: salmon, mackerel, anchovies, sardines, herring
- Cod liver oil
-What CGM (continuous glucose monitor) devices do you recommend?…32:05
-When is it optimal to test IGF-1?…35:40
-Should a microbiome be tested a certain time of day, fasted or unfasted, etc.?…36:30
-Is it true that it is difficult to test for parasites because the parasite releases an enzyme when the stool hits the air?…39:30
-What are the key factors to getting quality deep sleep?…41:40
- Article: Deep Sleep Decoded: Everything You Need To Know To Increase Your Deep Sleep Percentages.
- Cold environment
- CBD oil or supplement – 60-100 mg (use code: GREENFIELD15 to save 15%)
- Binaural beats for deep sleep (no Bluetooth)
- Regular exercise regimen
- Avoid alcohol
- Period of fasting (3-4 hours)
-Are people who follow a low-carb or ketogenic diet low in magnesium?…45:30
-For Ben: How are you dealing with your high cortisol metabolism?…48:56
- “I haven't followed a strict ketogenic diet for years.”
- Carb refeed at the end of the day
-Is a colonoscopy an effective means of “resetting” the microbiome?…50:45
-How do you treat someone with a common cold? If it develops into an infection, how do you naturally heal it sans antibiotics?…52:36
- Vitamin C, rest, electrolytes
- Chaga and sauna (save $500 with code: BEN)
- Oil of oregano
- Taking antibiotics correlates with anxiety and depression in the future
- Take a cold shower every morning: prevents getting a cold
-Under what circumstances should one seek an antibiotic, even if they are determined not to use antibiotics?…1:00:00
-How to deal with fainting episodes related to stress?…1:02:25
- Improving vagal nerve tone
- Vagal Nerve Stimulators (use code GREENFIELD for $100 discount)
- Podcast: 32 Ways to Stimulate Your Vagus Nerve, Fine-Tune Your Nervous System & Self-Hack Your Hormones
- Cold exposure: cold showers, dunk face in cold water
-What about things like sauerkraut and kombucha in promoting microbiome health?…1:03:45
- Sauerkraut is good; approach kombucha with caution
-Thoughts on a 5-day fasting mimicking diet vs. a 3-day water fast?…1:07:10
- Solid science behind the fasting mimicking diet
- Fasting mimicking diet is more realistic in its feasibility (water fast is very difficult)
-For Ben: Are you still doing the NAD injection that burns for 15 minutes?…1:09:32
-How can you deal with exercise-induced hypoglycemia when you're not diabetic?…1:12:15
-How do you mitigate the effects of a bad night of sleep?…1:14:30
- Brief spurts of High-intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- Large amounts of blue light in the morning to reset circadian rhythm
- Regular meal times
- Ketone esters or nicotine gum (save $10 with code: BEN10)
-And much more…
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Resources from this episode:
–JOOVV light (use code: BEN for a free gift at checkout)
–My podcast on Building Biology
–Dirty electricity filters
-Book: Estrogen Matters
–Primal Jet Pack
–Four Sigmatic (Receive a 15% discount using code: BENGREENFIELD)
-Article: Deep Sleep Decoded: Everything You Need To Know To Increase Your Deep Sleep Percentages
-Books by Dr. Shawn Talbott
–Cod liver oil
-Podcast: 32 Ways to Stimulate Your Vagus Nerve, Fine-Tune Your Nervous System & Self-Hack Your Hormones
–Dexcom G6 glucose monitor
–Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations. Attention Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners: receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BGF10.
–Organifi Red Juice: Enjoy all the benefits of the 11 superfoods and their micronutrients that help increase resting metabolism, support cardiovascular health, and remove toxins to turn back the hands of time! Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: BENG20
–Four Sigmatic: I’ve been using Four Sigmatic products for a while now and I’m impressed by the efficacies of their mushroom products. I use them. I like them. I support the mission! Receive 15% off your Four Sigmatic purchase when you use discount code: BENGREENFIELD
–Harry's Razors: Try the shaving company that’s fixing shaving. Get a $13 value trial set that comes with everything you need for a close, comfortable shave when you go to harrys.com/greenfield
8 thoughts on “How To Increase Free Testosterone, Elevating Deep Sleep Levels, Ideal Estrogen Levels For Women & Much More (Special Q&A Episode!).”
How long should we stop taking Magnesium supplements and what other supplements should we stop taking before doing a Mag RBC test? I don’t want to stop taking my EAA’s if I don’t have to. Thanks!
I recommend stopping 4 days prior to testing… EAAs should be fine.
i thought I heard you mention a “belden power strip” that deals with dirty electricity? Can you link to that product, or redirect my thinking?
Brian, I believe he said Belkin, they make electronic items.
Anyone had any issues with chilipad? I have tried it twice and both times could not get it to cool down to a decently cool temp. Have moved on to gel packs.
Could anyone hear what the deep sleep audio tool / headphones were that one of the physicians mentioned? It was [something]-phones, I believe, with it mentioned that a 23-minute deep sleep sequence was on them. Couldn’t make out what was being referred to.
Secondary question for Ben: you’ve mentioned using binaural beats for deep sleep. Is this a track that changes the frequencies to induce different sleep cycles throughout the night (e.g., going from those likely to induce light sleep, to deep sleep, to REM sleep, etc.), or just a continuous set of delta frequencies that one would expect to induce deep sleep alone? If the latter, do you see with your Oura ring that you still are going through sleep cycles despite the use of continuous delta frequencies?
Damian, I believe he said Wholetones which is music composed by Michael Tyrrell who has been on Ben’s show before. Check out the podcast also.
They're called SleePhones: http://bit.ly/2XFhCDL and you can use them with really cool apps like Sleepstream: http://bit.ly/2QoHuBj