December 19, 2019
Based on breakthrough new science in the field of hydration, the new book Quench: Beat Fatigue, Drop Weight, and Heal Your Body Through the New Science of Optimum Hydration debunks many popular myths about “getting enough water” and offers a revolutionary five-day jump start plan that shows how better hydration can reduce or eliminate ailments like chronic headaches, weight gain, gut pain, and even autoimmune conditions.
Chronic headaches…brain fog…fatigue…weight gain…insomnia…gut pain…autoimmune conditions. We may think these and other all-too-common modern maladies are due to gluten intake or too much sugar or too little exercise, but there is another missing piece to the health puzzle: Proper hydration.
Yes, even in this era of Poland Spring many of us are dehydrated due to moisture lacking diets, artificial environments, medications, and over-dependence on water as our only source of hydration. For this reason, your new diet or exercise plan may fail because your body doesn't have enough moisture to support it.
Quench presents a wellness routine that can reverse all of that, based on breakthrough new science in the field of hydration. You will be surprised to learn that drinking too much water can flush out vital nutrients and electrolytes. Here is where “gel water” comes in: the water from plants (like cucumber, berries, aloe), which our bodies are designed to truly absorb right down to the cellular level. In fact, Ms. Bria's work as an anthropologist led her to the realization that desert people stay hydrated almost exclusively from what they eat, including gel plants like cactus.
Based on groundbreaking science from the University of Washington's Pollack Water Lab and other research, Quench offers a five-day jump start plan using hydrating meal plans and the heart of the program, smoothies and elixirs that use the most hydrating and nutrient-packed plants. Another unique feature of their approach is micro-movements, which are small, simple movements you can make a few times a day that will move water through your fascia, the connective tissue responsible for hydrating our bodies. You will experience more energy, focus, and better digestion within five days…then move onto the lifetime plan for continued improvements, even elimination of symptoms.
My guest on today's podcast and the author of Quench, Dr. Dana Cohen, has been successfully practicing medicine here in New York City for 20 years utilizing a distinctive medical approach. Dr. Cohen has helped thousands of patients find relief after repeated unsuccessful attempts with other practitioners. Dr. Cohen was board-certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in 1998. She is an advisor to the Board of Directors of the American College for the Advancement of Medicine (ACAM), the leading voice of Integrative Medicine for more than 1,500 MD, DO, ND, and master-level health-care providers. She has been the program director for their conferences and gathered the leaders of functional and integrative medicine to give world-class symposiums. She received her MD from St. George’s University School of Medicine and completed a three-year internal medicine residency at Albany Medical Center.
During this discussion, you'll discover:
-Why water isn't always the ideal way to hydrate…7:32
- Searched for innovative topic on which to devote substantial research
- Co-author approached regarding hydration techniques at the Hydration Foundation
- “New phase” of water
- Is it possible to hydrate via food?
- The 8 glasses a day myth
- Comes from nowhere, similar to the food pyramid
- Some say they drink little water and remain hydrated
-What “gel” water is and how it differs from “regular” water…11:26
- “Structured” water
- Slightly thicker, different chemical equation (H3O2)
- Desert plants have gel inside (thickened water)
- Gel water is found in waterfalls, and in nature in general
- It's the type of water found in our cells
-The best foods to eat that contain gel water…14:41
- Chia seeds gel when exposed to water
- Cucumber seeds are gelatinous
- Fiber mixed w/ water becomes undrinkable when left; becomes gel water
-How hydration (and dehydration) is measured via food intake…16:35
- There's no research on determining clinical dehydration (although we know when someone is truly dehydrated)
- The means of determining hydration levels via water consumption have not been applied to food as of yet
-How people who dwell in deserts hydrate…22:08
- Bedouins “front load” water consumption (first thing in the morning w/ electrolytes)
- Robes they wear are quasi humidifying tents
- Drink camel's milk, goat's bread
- Low-fat diet is counterproductive
- Ghee is very high in gel water
-Why chia is such a potent source of hydration…26:08
- Rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids, particularly linoleic acid
- Grinding chia seeds; creates more gel water when add water to it
- Perfect thing to add to smoothies
- Lectins in chia seeds: proceed w/ caution
- Tara Fix recipe:
- Books by Christopher McDougall:
-Ancestral hydration tactics from history…32:54
- Nomadic cowboys in Uruguay consumed Yerba Mate
- Has all vitamins and electrolytes necessary to sustain life
- Dissolving plants in water delivers nutrients and hydration from the plants better than water alone
- Ancient pottery shows signs of gelatin from grains; evidence of eating lots of stews containing grains and vegetables
- Hasda people consumed Baobab fruit:
- Blended flesh w/ water; full of fat, fiber, and vitamins (an ancient smoothie)
-The link between fascia and hydration and why it's so important…39:30
- Fascia is the network of collagen that surrounds every cell and organ in our body (like the outer walls of the grapefruit holding in the fruit)
- “Living Fascia” video mentioned by Dr. Cohen
- Piezoelectricity: Motion that stretches tissue and generates electricity
- Study found that women who fidgeted less than other women had a 43% increase in all-cause mortality
- Small movements are better than nothing
- Dry skin brushing
-A recipe for “beauty water”…48:56
- Water mixed w/ simple ingredients: blueberries, pomegranates, lemon, etc.
- Adds electrolytes, structure to the water
- It's very possible to over hydrate; dispose of electrolytes before their efficacy can be applied to the body
-And much more…
Resources from this episode:
– BGF podcasts with Dr. Gerald Pollack:
– Video: Fascia
–Kion Serum: Use Kion Serum anywhere you’d like more vibrant, youthful skin and hair. Save 10% off your order when you use discount code: BGF10
–Organifi Gold: A new take on an ancient secret: Pain-soothing herbs, incredible antioxidants, and phytonutrients all in one delicious, soothing “Golden Milk” nighttime tea! Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: BENG20.
-Four Sigmatic: I’ve been using Four Sigmatic products for awhile now and I’m impressed by the efficacies of their mushroom products. I use them. I like them. I support the mission! Receive 15% off your Four Sigmatic purchase when you use discount code: BENGREENFIELD
–Native Deodorant: Safe, simple, effective products that people use in the bathroom everyday. Native creates products with trusted ingredients and trusted performance. Get 20% off your first purchase when you use discount code: BEN