July 11, 2019
Q&A Episode 398
Have a podcast question for Ben? Click the button at the bottom of the page (or go to SpeakPipe), or use the Contact button in the free Ben Greenfield Fitness app. Click here for some tips on how to have the best chance of having your question featured on the show!
Click here for a PDF version of the show notes for this episode.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Ben's Travels And Extensive Travel Gear [00:01:42]
- Lambs radiation-proof underwear
- RA Optics
- Pac Safe Theft and RFID preventing bags
- Hydrogen-rich water (code: GREENFIELD to save 10%)
- Activated charcoal
- Ample Keto Meal Replacement Shake
- EMF Portal mentioned
News Flashes [00:15:00]
– Interesting – how men’s bodies change when they become fathers
Special Announcements [00:41:40]
– Click here to follow Ben on Instagram, and get ready for some epic stories about his morning, day and evening routine!
- July 13 – 14, 2019: Train To Hunt Nationals, Mesa, CO. Nationals are right around the corner and I’m eager to take the podium! If you are a hunter, then you understand how fitness can impact your season. There’s no better way to prepare than through Train to Hunt challenges. Learn more here.
- July 15 – 19: Kion Meditation Challenge. Join me and Team Kion for a FREE 5-day meditation challenge starting Monday, July 15th. Whether you're new to meditation, want to learn more about it, or are a seasoned veteran looking to take part in a worldwide meditation challenge with thousands of other like-minded people from across the globe, you won't want to miss this. Sign up here for free to get in on all the meditation goodness, including a guided meditation led by yours truly.
- August 3-4, 2019: Colorado Rockies Ultra, Beast, and Sprint Weekend – Aspen, CO. The mountains are calling! High in the peaks of the Rocky Mountains, team members from my company, Kion and I will be experiencing the immense beauty of Colorado while conquering climbs, crawls, carries, and traverses. We hope to see you there! Sign up here!
- September 12 – 15, 2019: RUNGA Immersion, Napa Valley, California. I attend this total mind-body reboot retreat each year with my wife, Jessa, to connect with a handful of friends and YOU can one of them! I would love if you could join me at this retreat. Click here for details on this incredible event!
- September 27 – 29, 2019: Spartan World Championships, Squaw Valley, California. Right beside Lake Tahoe, this epic venue was once host to the 1960 Olympic Winter Games. Join me there for the greatest obstacle course race in North Tahoe Lake, Olympic Village, CA. Sign up here. Sign up here!
This podcast is brought to you by:
– Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations, Kion blends ancestral wisdom with modern science. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BGF10.
– Thrive Market: Organic brands you love, for less. Your favorite organic food and products. Fast and free shipping to your doorstep. Receive 25% off your order when you use my link!
– JOOVV: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give it a try: you won't be disappointed. Order using my link and receive a nice bonus gift with your order!
– Zip Recruiter: As your qualified candidates roll in, we make it easy to screen & rate them, allowing you to make the best hiring decisions for your business. Try it for free when you use my link!
The Problem With Sunscreen (& What To Do About It) [00.55:15]
Alex asks: There are a lot of claims from the sunscreen industry about its ability to reduce or remove the risk of skin cancer. From what I've seen, the rates of skin cancer have increased, as has the use of sunscreen. What are your thoughts on that, and what are some of your strategies in regards to using sunscreen?
In my response, I recommend:
– Article: Is Sunscreen The New Margarine?
– EWG.org guide to sunscreens
– Healthy sunscreen recipes
– Superessentials fish oil with astaxanthin
– Dr. Thomas Cowan's vegetable powders
– A New Path book by Arthur Haines
– Sunlight Makes You Skinny & Blue Light Makes You Fat: 11 Ways To Biohack Light To Optimize Your Body & Brain
Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide Benefits [01:10:56]
Steve asks: I've used the food-grade hydrogen peroxide in the One Minute Miracle every day for several years. I didn't hear you mention it on your recent water podcast, so I want to get your take on it.
In my response, I recommend:
– 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide
Does Hydrogen Rich Water Feed SIBO Bacteria? [01:21:05]
Kathy asks: I've heard you talk a lot about hydrogen-rich water lately on the podcast. If someone has hydrogen-dominant SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), is hydrogen-rich water or the tablets going to be a good thing for them to ingest?
In my response, I recommend:
– Active H2 Molecular Hydrogen from Water & Wellness (Dr. Robert Slovak's website) code: GREENFIELD
– My podcast on hydrogen water with Tyler Lebaron
– Drinking hydrogen water and intermittent hydrogen gas exposure…
– Intestinal Microbiota Ecological Response to Oral Administration of Hydrogen-Rich Water
– Effects of the long-term consumption of hydrogen-rich water on the antioxidant activity in female Chinese soccer players
Giveaways & Goodies
– This week's top iTunes review – gets some BG Fitness swag straight from Ben – click here to leave your review for a chance to win some!
Prior to asking your question, do a search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Fitness!
14 thoughts on “398: Top 12 Keto Myths, The Dark Side Of Tabatas, Dad Bod, Healthy Sunscreen Alternatives & More!”
what model of the PacSafe fanny pack are you using
Thank you, Julia! Good point!
Kyle Kingsbury from Onnit disavowed the Trusii company on his podcast released on July 19, specifically as relates to the machines. Please listen for his details. He said Ben had called him about it, but I haven’t seen Ben address on his website, although I don’t ready everything on the site.
Ben – can you put a more prominent discussion of this issue on your site and podcast? They had been a sponsor historically and the issue needs clarity. Unless I missed it, in which case please provide a link.
Ben, I cant find the link to your current Glutathione syringe supplement you mentioned – what was it? TIA :-)
Here you go: BenGreenfieldFitness.com/glutathione
Ben—Regarding astaxanthin, would the amount (1 mg) in the fish oil be enough as a daily supplement for sun protection purposes, or would you take a separate astaxanthin supplement as well? Also, (if taken separately in addition to the fish oil), would you supplement it only on days where you get extensive sun exposure, or take it daily, year-round regardless of how much sun exposure you get on any particular day?
I take 12 mg per day in addition to my fish oil supplement. Mainly from April through October, but I may take it year-round this year.
Hi.. just wanted to comment a friend took “ food grade” H2O2 manufactured by Oxygen Wellness company as directed. 70k hospital bill …burnt esophagus and GI tract so bad she almost died. Luckily she survived.. still has to be followed closely with imgery and endoscopic tests as it was so detrimental. I don’t think anyone should use hydrogen peroxide except for minor cuts/abrasions topically. Thanks!
Just throwing out a recommendation for nontoxic, eco and reef safe sunscreen- Raw Elements @Raw Elements USA. The company founded the 1st celebration of World Reef Awareness Day June 1st! So exciting! Good health and peace to all 🙏☀️
You might consider cutting back on the attempted humor/sarcasm by about 80%. It significantly takes away from the show.
…and you might want to consider just how Ben and 99% of his listening audience think critics like yourself are DOUCHE-BAGS. Let Ben “be Ben” and if you don’t like it don’t listen anymore. How hard is that?
You might find it was one of the additives in the tablets – I had a similar issue with them but dextrose in one of the ingredients which would aggravate SIBO.
Are there any benefits to hydrogen rich water enemas?