March 11, 2023
Have a question you'd like Ben to answer on the podcast?
Click here, or use the ‘contact' button in the free Ben Greenfield Life app.
Before asking your question, search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Life!
News Flashes – Follow Ben on Twitter for more…
- Want more morning alertness? Here's what the research says: How people wake up is associated with previous night’s sleep together with physical activity and food intake…11:26
- When it comes to exercise intensity, you constantly hear that (a) HIIT lowers the risk of mortality more than moderate-intensity continuous exercise, (b) HIIT doubles endurance performance after only 15 min of training over 2 weeks, (c) 1 min of HIIT is equivalent to 45 min of moderate-intensity continuous exercise, and (d) HIIT is more pleasant and enjoyable than moderate-intensity continuous exercise. But the evidence for these claims appears questionable…20:29
- More here: Extraordinary Claims in the Literature on High-Intensity Interval Training: II. Are the Extraordinary Claims Supported by Extraordinary Evidence?
- And here: Extraordinary claims in the literature on high-intensity interval training (HIIT): IV. Is HIIT associated with higher long-term exercise adherence?
- In the whole scheme of things, whatever cardiovascular exercise program you can adhere to longest is *best*: Slow and Steady, or Hard and Fast? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Studies Comparing Body Composition Changes between Interval Training and Moderate Intensity Continuous Training
- Some say vegan diets decrease fertility and negatively affect sperm but it's the QUALITY of the plants/plant preparation that is most important here (less of an issue with a well-comprised healthy and clean plant-based diet): The Relationship between Plant-Based Diet Index and Semen Parameters of Men with Infertility: A Cross-Sectional Study…34:51
- This case report suggests that most of the top 100 best-selling nutrition books in Canada are written by authors with financial incentives, half of whom also lack academic training or clinical experience in nutrition. One-third of the books also did not cite any scientific evidence: Many authors of publicly available top-selling nutrition books in Canada are without clinical nutrition credentials, do not cite evidence, and promote their own services or products (FYI, my book Boundless has over 700 scientific references)…39:37
- Cigarette smoking: an underused tool in high-performance endurance training (illustrates the problem with research, and worth a look): Holiday reading: Cigarette smoking: an underused tool in high-performance endurance training…47:25
- Oura Ring
- Ben’s sleep routine when traveling
- Solace Bullet with Corydalis
- Magic Spoon
- Bitter melon
- Boundless by Ben Greenfield
- Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health & Life by Ben Greenfield
- Lifespan: Why We Age―and Why We Don't Have To by Tony Robbins and Peter Diamandis
- Podcast with Tony Robbins and Peter Diamandis:
- Chili Pad
- Faraday Bed Canopy
- PEMF Pad
Q: Does sprinting count as a lower body workout for strength and endurance?…55:47
Ben and Jay Recommend:
- Weight Training for Triathlon by Ben Greenfield
- To maximize strength, power, and hypertrophy adaptations, you need to be in the gym, and you need to be doing far fewer than thousands of repetitions
- BFR bands
- Keep up on Ben's LIVE appearances by following bengreenfieldfitness.com/calendar!
Endure: A sequel to the wildly popular book Fit Soul, Endure is written and inspired by the author Ben Greenfield’s personal temptations, struggles, and failures, and informed by what he’s studied and learned along the way, will serve as a key resource and guide for that very preparation.
Check out Ben on Instagram for epic posts and photos about his morning, day, and evening routines, recipes, and much more!
Follow Ben on Twitter for daily news flashes and the latest health, fitness, and anti-aging research.
Join Ben's Facebook page for conversations with listeners and even more useful information, posts, and support!
Also, you can now find Ben on Gettr.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Lucy Gum: If you are looking for a cleaner and tastier alternative to other nicotine products, Lucy is for you. To save 20% on any order, head over to lucy.co use discount code BEN20.
JoyMode: Want to spice things up in the bedroom and boost your sexual performance? And do it naturally without nasty prescription drugs? We have a special offer for the Ben Greenfield audience. Go to usejoymode.com/GREENFIELD or enter GREENFIELD at checkout for 20% off your first order.
BON CHARGE: Holistic wellness brand with a wide range of products that naturally address the issues of our modern way of life. They can help you sleep better, perform better, recover faster, balance hormones, reduce inflammation, and so much more. Go to boncharge.com/GREENFIELD and use coupon code GREENFIELD to save 15%.
Inside Tracker: InsideTracker provides you with a personalized plan to build endurance, boost energy, and optimize your health for the long haul. Get 20% off the entire InsideTracker store when you go to insidetracker.com/ben.
Kion Aminos: Aminos are building blocks for muscle recovery, reduced cravings, better cognition, immunity, and more. Go to getkion.com/ben to receive 20% off on monthly deliveries and 10% on one-time purchases.
BGL Careers: Check out our open positions at BenGreenfieldLife.com/Careers.
4 thoughts on “Q&A 453: Science-Based Trick For Morning Alertness, Hard vs. Easy Cardio Debate, How To Make A Vegan Diet Healthy, The Benefits Of Cigarettes & Much More.”
Cigarettes increase hemoglobin because the oxygen carrying capacity of the hemoglobin decreases with smoking so to compensate for this, the body makes more hemoglobin. The oxygen levels in blood don’t increase as they do with blood doping but actually are striving to get to a normal level by adding more to help out the damaged hemoglobin.
Smoking increases lung capacity because elastic of lungs is lost. They don’t rebound like they should. They get stretched out
Also the surface area for exchange decrease
Imagine your lungs as a bunch of grapes. The skin of each grape is where oxygen exchanges. Now imagine that just being one big grape. There is a lot less skin and a lot less area for oxygen to exchange. So that grape tries to get very big and stretched out and increases volume.
Both of the mechanisms don’t help your endurance or performance at all. I’m a Respiratory Therapist
Articles like the published one are so misleading they should be criminal
Wondering, due to your lectin comment, if you’re not a big fan of the Plant Paradox book ideas?
On a similar note are there other previously condoned books, products, ideas, or practices that you no longer take/use/believe?
I agree completely with your comments about questioning scientific studies.
I would invite you to apply the same critical thinking toward the Bible and Christianity.
These r the best show notes :)