October 12, 2019
Founded in 2009, ATP Science is the brainchild of Matthew Legge and Jeff & Toni Doidge.
In this episode, I discuss supplements, longevity, muscle gain, fat loss, training, and much, much more with Matt and Jeff.
ATP Science head scientist Matt Legge has more than a decade of experience creating formulas for well-known companies in the health supplement industry. Matt became frustrated when his formulations were constantly altered to fit in with marketing ideas or reduce manufacturing costs. Seeing a gap in the market, Matt knew if he could work at a company where people and products were placed ahead of profit he could make a real difference. Matt had a simple yet profound idea; base his formulations on science first.
Jeff and Toni Doidge were the founders of a supplement retail store that opened its doors in 2002. They believe the foundation for success is based on customer service and exceeding the customer’s expectations. With that simple strategy, focusing on the “customer first” ideology, their store became one of Australia’s most successful sports supplement retailers. Matt, Jeff, and Toni met by chance in 2009, and soon after, ATP Science was born.
During this discussion, you'll discover:
-Ben's personal history [6:15]
- Studied exercise physiology and biochemistry at the University of Idaho
- Graduated w/ master's in exercise physiology
- Sold hip and joint exercise equipment for a short time
- Began consulting clients at gyms and fitness studios for 5 years
- Lots of outside the box initiatives: running biochemical analysis, vo2 max testing, platelet-rich plasma injections, etc.
- 2008, named “America's top personal trainer”
- Eventually moved to writing, co-founding Kion, podcasting, etc.
- Weave health/fitness into fantasy novels he writes
-How to write in a way that will satisfy the primal urge to live the “hero's journey” [9:30]
- Book: The Writer's Journey
-The importance of “trench testing” ideas and concepts in health and fitness [12:15]
- Some ideas look good on paper, but fall apart in the real world
- The Kion bar went through extensive testing to maintain its practicality for those who consume it
- Ben tests everything personally before marketing it to other consumers
-Why peptides are the future of supplementation and medicine [16:15]
- Very precise sequences of amino acids
- Some can improve short and long term memory
- BPC 157
- TB 500
- Russian research is groundbreaking
- Once they become orally available, it will change the game
- Bio Balance
- Potential for injecting peptides via the food we consume
- Book: Super Fuel
-How to increase autophagy [24:50]
- Nighttime autophagy powder:
- Danger of imbalanced glycine/methionine ratio
- Increasing insulin sensitivity helps with mTOR pathways
- Blue zones have similarities in their diets
- Benefits of Berberine
-Why endurance sports are better for one's longevity and quality of life than power sports [29:30]
- Effects on insulin sensitivity, telomere lengths
- Book: Body by Science
- Self hate vs. self love
- Importance of estrogen and oxytocin to regulate collagen and fascia
- Skin receptor sensitivity after release of oxytocin
- Use oxytocin nasal spray for great sex
- Recent research on cluster training
- Blood flow restriction training
- BFR restriction bands
-Ken Ware [37:30]
-Sex supplement tips [46:15]
- Transdermal nitroglycerine cream
- Don't mix with other drugs/supplements (viagra)
-Differing opinions on proper cardio training [48:30]
- James O'Keefe: law of diminishing returns as mentioned in the book The Obesity Paradox
- Steady-state cardio is ideal
- Time hacking
- Polarized training model used by aerobic athletes (x-country skiing)
- 80% aerobic; 20% anaerobic
- The average person doesn't have enough hours in the day for that type of training
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT) will target the same mitochondrial response
- Hack your home and work environment:
- Fasted cardio in the morning:
- Mobilize fatty acids
- Trends toward caloric hyper compensation
- Save carb consumption for end of the day
- Cool Fat Burner
- Zevia soda
- Nicotine gum
-What Ben eats throughout the day [1:01:03]
- Morning smoothie
- 2 pm lunch
- Nose to tail diet
-And much more…
–Kion Lean: Support for normal blood sugar levels and healthy energy metabolism, even after large, carb-rich meals. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners, receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BGF10.
–JOOVV: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give it a try: you won't be disappointed. Order using my link and receive a nice bonus gift with your order!
–Clearlight Saunas: You can be sure that I researched all the saunas before I bought mine and Clearlight was the one that stood out from all the rest because of their EMF and ELF Shielding and their Lifetime Warranty. Use discount code: BENGREENFIELD to get $500 off your sauna and a free bonus gift!
–Policy Genius: Whether you’re an insurance expert or a newbie, Policygenius created a website that makes it easy for you to compare quotes, get advice, and get covered.