October 13, 2018
Ann Louise Gittleman was one of my very first podcast guests.
Now, she's back on the show. Ann came to my house in Spokane, WA to talk about her new, amazing book “Radical Metabolism: A Powerful New Plan to Blast Fat and Reignite Your Energy in Just 21 Days“. This new book reveals the secrets to reviving a sluggish over-40 metabolism – secrets that work even faster if you're in your 20s and 30s, or you suffer from liver, gallbladder or thyroid issues.
You'll discover which “forbidden fats,” forgotten flavors, and fat-busting beverages you can eat and drink in order to increase your metabolism, protect against autoimmunity, address gallbladder issues, type II diabetes, and other devastating health problems.
The Radical Metabolism program consists of:
-a 4-day Radical Intensive Cleanse designed to rest your digestive tract and detoxify your body
-21-Day Radical Reboot where you'll learn exactly what combinations of foods to eat for results you can feel and see
-a Maintenance Plan for a healthy life
A Columbia University graduate, Ann Louise Gittleman is often called “The First Lady of Nutrition”. She is a nutritionist and internationally recognized as a pioneer in dietary, environmental, and women's health issues. She is an award-winning New York Times bestselling author of over 30 books on health and nutrition including diet, detox, women's health, men's health, perimenopause, menopause, beauty and the environment.
As one of the world's foremost experts in functional and integrative medicine she holds an M.S. in Nutrition Education from Columbia University, has the title of Certified Nutrition Specialist (C.N.S.) from the American College of Nutrition and a Ph.D. in Holistic Nutrition. Ann Louise has also served as the Chief Nutritionist of Pediatric Clinic at Bellevue Hospital and is the former Director of Nutrition at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Santa Monica, CA. She has won numerous awards, including The American Medical Writers Association Award for Excellence.
In 2016 Ann was presented with the Humanitarian Award from the Cancer Control Society. She currently sits on the Advisory Board for the International Institute for Building-Biology & Ecology, the Nutritional Therapy Association, Inc. and Clear Passage, Inc.
During our discussion, you'll discover:
-Why the gallbladder is such a crucial component of the Radical Metabolism program…8:40
- Women in the U.S. are FFF: Fat, Forty and Fatigued.
- Gallbladder removal is one of the most common procedures in this country.
- It's not a “throw away” organ; we need to do everything we can to keep it.
- The “unholy alliance” between the gallbladder and the thyroid.
- If people do not have free-flowing bile (which they don't if they don't have a gallbladder) they can't convert successfully convert T4 into T3.
- Because the thyroid is so intimately connected to metabolism…
- People with sluggish bile are 7 times more likely to suffer from hyperthyroidism.
- Ben struggled with decreased thyroid activity while training for triathlons.
- People who do keto or paleo diets with high intake of fat are at risk; you need to be able to digest the fat and essential fatty acids.
-Ann's thoughts on why the gallbladder and bile issues are so common among American women…13:00
- Lack of choline.
- Study: 500 mg of choline 3x a day for 6 weeks will decongest a fatty liver.
- Choline is a lipotropic nutrient.
- We don't eat foods with natural lecithin; stigma surrounding soy products.
- Lack of bitter herbs in the diet.
- Natural sources of choline:
- Eggs (if you're not allergic)
- Sunflower lecithin supplement
- Bitter herbs Ann recommends: Grapefruit Diet (very popular in the 70's, with a resurgence in the 90's)
- Grapefruit extract influences mitochondria.
- Bitter melon extract.
- Ben's favorite cocktail: Bitter herbs, on the rocks, with a splash of gin. “Ben and Jitters”
-How do we test for gallbladder function?…20:43
- High liver enzymes
- If light colored stool, dizziness, hearing problems all part of gallbladder meridian.
- Glutathione doesn't affect gallbladder.
- A bitter and resentful personality indicates gallbladder issues. Anger is associated with the liver; resentment is associated with the gallbladder.
-Is Ann a fan of any of the cleanses out there that increase bile levels?…23:00
- No. Because of congested bile, they can get stuck in the gallbladder duct and create serious problems.
- The use of choline and bitters, then following Radical Metabolism…
-What is the “correct” way to do a coffee enema?…25:25
- Depends on the individual.
- Ensure the coffee is organic.
- Keep it inside you for 20 minutes; lay on your left side.
- Hazel Parcells: The grand dame of health.
- Blackstrap molasses.
-The balance of omega 3 and omega 6 fats and why there's such a thing as “too much fish oil”…27:45
- We need a 4:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fats.
- Watch out for bad omega 6 fats. Parent oils.
- You'll get more omega 6 fats from parent oils.
- Toasted sesame oil – Has lots of Vitamin T.
- What is Vitamin T?
- “Sixes are Sexy.”
-Ann's thoughts on Udo's Oil…35:37
- Uses unrefined, raw sunflower oil.
- Uses proper antioxidants.
-The role of Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in the formation of brown fat tissue…37:15
- It actually “activates” the tissue.
- Evening primrose oil;
- GLA helps people to lose weight without watching their calories or exercising.
-Why Ann is a fan of essential amino acids…39:15
- We need more protein, not less.
- Has more to do with metabolic rate than the gallbladder.
- The right kind of coffee can prevent you from losing lean muscle.
- It's a way to get more concentrated amounts of proteins.
-The best way to test for toxicity in your body…42:00
- Non-invasive: hair tests; tissue analysis.
- Urine provocation test can be very hard on the system.
- Lots of toxicity in cooking tools and utensils.
-Why Ann would rather have a poisonous serpent in her kitchen than aluminum foil…45:48
-Ann's 4-day and 21-day intensive cleanses…47:37
- Lots of watercress soup, which contains cancer-fighting phytonutrients. (Buy it at Trader Joe's.) Can also eat watercress as the green in a salad, as opposed to kale.
- Juices that are low-glycemic. No pulp.
- Not uncommon to lose 8-10 pounds during the cleanse. Water weight.
- You start with the 4-day, then take a week of maintenance and then the 21-day.
- Why A2 is far preferable to A1 (found in most milks).
Resources from this episode:
- Unikey Health Systems
- Book: Radical Metabolism: A Powerful New Plan to Blast Fat and Reignite Your Energy in Just 21 Days
- Book: The Gut Flush Plan: A Breakthrough Cleansing Program – Flushes Fattening Toxins – Boosts Metabolism – Fortifies Your Health
- Book: Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
- Podcast Episode #29: How Many Critters Are Living In YOUR Gut, Making You Fat, Tired, Lazy, Bloated and Sick? (hint: more than you think)
- Choline – 500mg of choline 3x/day for 4 weeks
- Soy lecithin
- Bitters #9
- Orthophosphoric acid
- The fish oil Ben takes
- Hair test from Trace Elements
–Kion Lean Support for normal blood sugar levels and healthy energy metabolism, even after large, carb-rich meals. Use discount code: BENLEAN10 and get 10% off your order!
–Goshas Organics is a recognized leader in Innovative PHYTO Herbal Honey Infusions. Use discount code “ben10%” to get 10% off your order!
Do you have questions, thoughts or feedback for Ann or me? Leave your comments below and one of us will reply!