April 22, 2023
Have a question you'd like Ben to answer on the podcast?
Click here, or use the ‘contact' button in the free Ben Greenfield Life app.
Before asking your question, search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Life!
News Flashes – Follow Ben on Twitter for more…
I'm still chewing on the latest “Erythritol gives you heart disease” study. Upon further digging, it turns out that the research did not even investigate the consumption of erythritol, but rather, simply blood values that could be a function of endogenous production OR exogenous consumption, meaning it's even possible that people who consume too much glucose are converting some to erythritol in their bodies: The artificial sweetener erythritol and cardiovascular event risk...09:41
Strength before cardio or cardio before strength…? Basically: If your goal is to maximize strength development, then it’s probably best to do your strength training before cardio. But if your goal is to maximize improvements in aerobic fitness, the order of your training probably doesn’t matter (kudos to Brady Holmer for the article): Physiology Friday #150: Cardio before Weights or Weights before Cardio?…18:58
Olive Oil vs. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: What's The Difference & Which One Should You Choose? – good article via @mindbodygreen. I recommend Fresh Pressed Olive Oil club for good oils, btw…27:19
Astaxanthin is a very useful longevity/anti-aging/skin protective compound, and at 9g/day appears to assist with eye strain from screentime: Effects of diet containing astaxanthin on visual function in healthy individuals: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel study – this stuff is already in @kion omegas, but not in super high amounts though…so you may need extra…40:28
- The Ultimate Dream Home: Ben Greenfield’s Biohacked Health Oasis In The Forest
- Podcast with Dr. Ram Dandillaya:
- Airdyne bike
- The Interference Effects of Training for Strength and Endurance Simultaneously
- Effects of concurrent training sequence on VO2max and lower limb strength performance: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Fresh Pressed Olive Oil
- Podcasts with TJ Robinson:
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO):
- High amount of polyphenols – naturally occurring phytochemicals that have antioxidant properties
- Prebiotic properties – feed the good bacteria in your gut
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Heart-healthy monounsaturated fats like Oleic acid (EVOO and fish oil – best for a healthy brain)
- Good cardiovascular benefits and anti-carcinogenic benefits
- Decent smoke point
- Oleocanthal – peppery flavor that makes you cough
- Regular olive oil is just marked as pure olive oil
- Mix of unrefined virgin olive oil and olive oil
- Lower phytochemical content
- Still very high in Oleic acid and monounsaturated fats
- Boundless Cookbook
- Olive oil has a much higher smoke point than EVOO
- EVOO is good for skin moisturizing and topical uses
- Avocado oil for slightly higher temperatures
- Kion Omega Fish Oil
- 9mg of Astaxanthin a day has a significant impact on visual acuity
- Podcast with Dr. Sandra Kaufmann:
- The Kaufmann Protocol: Why we Age and How to Stop It by Dr. Sandra Kaufmann
Want to submit your question for Ben to answer on the podcast? Direct message Ben on social media: Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, or drop your question in the discussion section of any show notes page. To make it easy to spot, preface your question with “Q&A Podcast Question: (ask question)” and keep it concise, please.
Q: Dan V. asks: I think that MSCs (Mesenchymal Stem Cells) and exosomes will revolutionize healthcare. What's your opinion on that? Basically, do you think this stuff is super powerful?… 44:41
Q: Ben W. asks: What would you recommend to a mid-40s male who quit drinking alcohol a few years ago? Say, a 30-day program diet, carnivore diet, or a 30-day biohacking experiment?…49:33
- Alcohol impairs what are called frontal lobe-mediated tasks
- Impairs long-term memory
- Chronic alcohol consumption disrupts the ability to form new long-term memories
- Also impacts the ability to keep new information active in short-term memory
- Alcohol-induced amnesia
- KetoneAid R-1,3 Butanediol
- LMNT for electrolytes
- Full body clean up like a detox protocol:
- Long term chronic detoxification protocols spread throughout the year rather than doing one big detox
- Vegetable juice fast
- Bone broth fast
- Elemental diet with just liquid shakes
- Ben's Wednesday detox:
- Activated charcoal (use code GREENFIELD10 to save 10%)
- Coffee enema
- Deep sweat in the Infrared sauna
- Podcast with Stephen Cabral:
- Panchakarma – a specialized diet that includes the consumption of ghee (use code BEN10 to save 10%), olive oil, lemon juice, etc., for 7 days
- Podcast with Dr. Chris Shade:
- Dr. John Douillard's Colorado Cleanse (Kitchari Cleanse Guide)
Q: Troy asks: What's the best diet for Hashimoto's?…58:20
- Hashimoto's, or Chronic Lymphocytic Thyroiditis – not only an autoimmune disorder of the thyroid but of the entire immune system
- If left untreated can do a lot of damage to the thyroid
- Estimates that 90% of hypothyroidism is related to Hashimoto's disease
- Decrease the intake or the exposure to compounds (immune-reacting foods) that could be causing the production of these antibodies
- Grain foods in general – grains that have not been sprouted or fermented
- Vegetable oils, refined oils like safflower oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, corn oil can also be inflammatory and can trigger an immune reaction
- Eliminating nightshades, seeds, nuts, most dairy products, and soy
- Consume foods or compounds that help to support the thyroid
- Thyroid glandulars:
- Desiccated thyroid gland like Thyro-Gold
- Ancestral Supplements (use code BEN10 for 10% off)
- Fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids (use code BENGREENFIELD20 to save 20%)
- Dr. Cowan's Garden for natural sources of Iodine
- Probiotic-rich foods like kimchi, kombucha, natto
- Sprouted beans and legumes and other seeds high in omega-3 fatty acids
- Bone broth – many autoimmune issues are linked to damaged gut lining
- Glutamine and Colostrum
- Ultimate Gut Repair Formula (use code BEN to save 10%)
- Vitamin D/K blend and Magnesium
- Adaptogenic compounds like:
- Thyroid glandulars:
- Toxic by Neil Nathan
- take note of high EMF environments and cleaning the personal environment in general
- Boundless by Ben Greenfield
- Health Optimisation Summit: June 17th – 18th, 2023
Join me at The Health Optimisation Summit in London! This is your chance to be part of a community of 2,500 like-minded people and learn from world-leading health speakers. You'll be able to fast-track your health journey, discover cutting-edge secrets and hacks, explore the latest tech and gadgets, and find the cleanest and healthiest supplements and nutrient-dense foods. Don't miss out on this incredible experience! Use code BENGREENFIELD for 10% off regular and VIP tickets. Learn more here.
- HUM2N Event: June 19th, 2023
Don’t miss this incredible opportunity to learn from the best in the field and take your biohacking journey to the next level. You’ll get the chance to be involved with a private network of biohackers, a live discussion with myself and Dr. E, a live Q&A, an experiential biohacking experience, tasty food, and a chance to win some mind-blowing prizes! Learn more here.
- Keep up on Ben's LIVE appearances by following bengreenfieldfitness.com/calendar!
Endure: Check out Ben's latest book. A sequel to the wildly popular book Fit Soul, Endure is written and inspired by the author Ben Greenfield’s personal temptations, struggles, and failures, and informed by what he’s studied and learned along the way, will serve as a key resource and guide for that very preparation.
Check out Ben on Instagram for epic posts and photos about his morning, day, and evening routines, recipes, and much more!
Follow Ben on Twitter for daily news flashes and the latest health, fitness, and anti-aging research.
Join Ben's Facebook page for conversations with listeners and even more useful information, posts, and support!
Also, you can now find Ben on Gettr.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Neurohacker Qualia Senolytic: Take this cutting-edge formula just 2 days a month to help your body eliminate senescent cells, which is KEY to optimal aging and feeling younger. Give your body what it needs to fight senescent cell accumulation* with Qualia Senolytic at neurohacker.com, and code SENOBEN scores you an extra 15% off.
SleepMe: These luxury mattress pads keep your bed at the perfect temperature for deep sleep, whether you sleep hot or cold. Head over to sleep.me/bengreenfield to learn more and save up to 25% off the purchase of any new sleep system. This offer is available exclusively for Ben Greenfield listeners — and only for a limited time!
Lucy Gum: If you are looking for a cleaner and tastier alternative to other nicotine products, Lucy is for you. To save 20% on any order, head over to lucy.co use discount code BEN20.
LMNT: Everyone needs electrolytes, especially those on low-carb diets, who practice intermittent or extended fasting, are physically active, or sweat a lot. Go to DrinkLMNT.com/BenGreenfield to get a free gift with your purchase!
Ultimate Longevity: Ready to hack your sleep and stay grounded while recovering? Head to ultimatelongevity.com/ben to get your hands on grounding mats for your mattress, pillow, blankets, and other valuable tools to help you bring down your inflammation and jumps start your healing.
Kion Aminos: Aminos are building blocks for muscle recovery, reduced cravings, better cognition, immunity, and more. Go to getkion.com/ben to receive 20% off on monthly deliveries and 10% on one-time purchases.
3 thoughts on “Q&A 455: Is Erythritol Bad For You, Strength Before Cardio or Cardio Before Strength, The Best Way To Use Olive Oil & Much More!”
Besides erythritol, there are other safer alternatives like birch sugar, stevia and monkfruit to sweeten foods and drinks.
Hi Ben, I went to biohackspokanehome.com, doesn’t work for me. Unless I misheard it.
link is in the shownotes! https://biohackedspokanehome.com/