March 15, 2019
Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries from the latest news from the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
– Book That I'm Using To Learn How To “Unschool” My Kids
Free to Learn: Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life: In this book, a leading expert in childhood development makes the case for why self-directed learning–“unschooling”–is the best way to get kids to learn. Developmental psychologist Peter Gray argues that in order to foster children who will thrive in today's constantly changing world, we must entrust them to steer their own learning and development.
Drawing on evidence from anthropology, psychology, and history, he demonstrates that free play is the primary means by which children learn to control their lives, solve problems, get along with peers, and become emotionally resilient. A brave, counterintuitive proposal for freeing our children from the shackles of the curiosity-killing institution we call school, Free to Learn suggests that it's time to stop asking what's wrong with our children, and start asking what's wrong with the system. My twin boys are considering “dropping out” of sixth grade and simply making “life” their education, and I'm using this book as one of my key references. You can get it here (I listened to audio version on Audible).
– Blue Light Blocking Glasses I'm Wearing
As you can read in my article “Sunlight Makes You Skinny, Blue Light Makes You Fat“, Ra Optics is one of the few companies out there producing blue light blocking glasses that aren't cheap imports marked up at high prices, and are engineered by biohackers who have actually studied up on the exact wave spectrums of light that truly protect your retina and enhance your sleep. They have children's versions as well, which my boys wear. You can get them here and use code BEN10 for 10% off. I own three pairs, including a clear lens for day and a darker red lens for evening (see video below for an example of what my clear lens looks like). They also offer custom tinting options for any frame you choose, if you'd like to simply send them your favorite frame (e.g. your classy aviators!).
– Joint & Tendon Supporting Yogurt I've Been Making
Head nod to Dr. William Davis for informing me of this wonderful coconut yogurt recipe I've been having a dollop of with nearly every meal. Among a variety of other benefits, he has found it to cause:
-Complete shut-down of appetite, an “anorexigenic” effect, that can be used to facilitate intermittent fasting or break a weight loss plateau. This, along with an increase in metabolic rate, explain why weight loss results.
-Dramatic increase in skin thickness and skin collagen, along with acceleration of skin healing, a surrogate for overall youthfulness and health. I’m a big fan of dietary collagen, such as those provided by collagen hydrolysates, bone broths/soups, slow-cooking meats, eating the skin on chicken and fish, etc. This L. reuteri strategy amplifies this effect considerably.
-Increased oxytocin–A doubling of oxytocin blood levels was observed in mice, the effect responsible for the extravagant skin benefits, reduced insulin resistance, dramatic increases in testosterone in males, increased estrogen in females (magnitude unclear), thicker and more plentiful hair (though the consistency of this effect is not yet clear). Other studies have demonstrated substantial weight loss, especially from visceral fat, increased muscle mass, and increased bone density (protection from osteoporosis/osteopenia).”
But I've upgraded his version by adding a boatload of gelatin and Vitamin C to make it more like “Coconut Yogurt Jello”. Why? The study “Vitamin C–enriched gelatin supplementation before intermittent activity augments collagen synthesis” shows that a combo of gelatin and Vitamin C can significantly enhance joint health and tendon repair. Plus, I like to eat my yogurt “like jello”.
– 2 cans coconut milk
– Omica Organics vanilla stevia (I use 6 dropperfuls)
– 4 heaping scoops Great Lakes Powdered Gelatin
– 10 BioGaia Gastrus L-Reuteri probiotic capsules, ground with a mortar and pestle
Mix everything well in a clean stainless steel or ceramic bowl, then leave in food dehydrator at 115 degrees for 24 hours. Refrigerate for one day. You will have a “jello-like” texture if done properly. Fantastic when served with a bit of raw honey. Bon appétit!
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
Click here to go Premium and access an entire vault of never-before-seen videos, audios, PDFs, and every past episode of the Ben Greenfield Fitness podcast.
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
::: Why Celtic Sea Salt is Superior to Table Salt :::
Refined table salt has aluminum, ferrocyanide, and bleach in it. Anti-caking agents are added to increase its shelf life. The chemicals added to keep salt from absorbing moisture on the shelf interfere with one of salt's main functions: to regulate hydration in the body. The sodium chloride in table salt is highly concentrated, denatured, and toxic to your body. If you haven't switched to a high-quality sea salt yet, you shouldn't wait. Not only is it far more healthful, but the flavor of sea salt is far superior to regular ol' table salt.
All of Selina Naturally sea salts are naturally harvested from the ocean according to traditional methods, which assures that all of the nutritious natural minerals remain intact. These natural minerals balance the sodium content and help your body metabolize it. They also enrich the taste.
The unique combination of minerals in natural sea salt provides optimal nutrition for the normal functions of the body. In fact, the composition of naturally harvested sea salt replicates the natural mineral content of the water in your body. Grab a bag of Selina Naturally sea salt today with code: BEN for 10% off.
Articles & Podcasts I Was Featured In This Week:
– April 6, 2019: The Future of Personalized and Precision Medicine with Horses, Bourbon, and Ben Greenfield at The Kentucky Castle, Versailles, Kentucky. I join doctors Matt Dawson and Mike Mallin for a special presentation on the future of medicine. Register here to join us for this unique & extremely limited event.
– April 12 – 13, 2019: FitCon Summit, Salt Lake City, Utah. FitCon® encourages everyone to Find Their Fit. It does not matter whether it is powerlifting, Crossfit, bodybuilding, roller derby, or even axe throwing. Be sure to visit the Kion booth in the expo! Get your tickets here. Use code: BEN50 to save $50.
– April 26 – 28, 2019: Paleo f(x) Conference, Austin, Texas. Join me, staff from my company, Kion, and the rest of your tribe at Paleo f(x)™ 2019, the largest gathering of Paleo / ancestral health / keto / functional medicine / strength & conditioning experts in the world… see everything you'll get out of this enriching, enlightening event. Besides, April is a wonderful time of year to visit Austin, TX….Get your tickets here.
– June 6, 2019: An Afternoon of Transformation with Ben Greenfield, Denver, Colorado. A special event hosted by MaxLiving, which exists to transform lives through chiropractic.
– June 15, 2019: Ultimate Fitness Run, Mt. Spokane, Washington. Join me and my family for a fun, as-competitive-as-you-make-it day outside for an OCR-style challenge. Register here while you still can. This event sells out quickly each year. Save with code: Ben10UFR and register here.
– June 23 – July 7, 2019: European Detox Retreat, Paracelsus al Ronc, Switzerland. At this 2019 liver detox and R&R retreat at the beautiful Swiss Mountain Clinic in the Italian quarter of Switzerland, you'll stay on-site and receive diagnostics and treatments from the best doctors of biological medicine to detox your liver and your soul. Here's the link to more info.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Pic:
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
I am not against vaccinations. They have saved many lives. I was vaccinated. My children were vaccinated. But I also think we need to respectfully pay attention to potential adverse health effects. I rarely visit the topic, and had no idea until I did how charged this issue was.
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) March 13, 2019
My Most Popular Facebook Post This Week:
How to simplify your routine and your life:
The Ultimate Clean Energy Bar for Hard-Charging, High-Achievers
As a busy CEO, coach, professional athlete, international speaker, and top 100 podcast host—I needed a bar that would meet the intense demands of my lifestyle, while also satisfying my strict nutrition and purity requirements. I’m happy to say, THIS IS IT.
After years of habitually eating low-quality protein bars, I started having elevated blood sugar, gut rot, energy swings and toxins present in my blood tests. So I wanted to do something better. I wanted to learn how can a bar provide adequate amino acids for recovery without spiking insulin and glucose, or creating mTor and longevity issues from excess protein intake?
You're about to discover exactly how I did it. Meet the Kion Clean Energy Bar.
*The FDA hasn't evaluated these statements. Kion products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
Did you know you can consult one-on-one with me so that I can personalize a nutrition or fitness plan for you to reach your goals? Are you training for physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Contact me so I can get you exactly what you need to reach your goals as safely and quickly as possible.
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!