December 31, 2020
Have a question you'd like Ben to answer on the podcast?
Click here, or use the ‘contact' button in the free Ben Greenfield Fitness app.
Prior to asking your question, do a search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Fitness!
News Flashes – Follow Ben on Twitter for more…
This study found that a combination of colostrum and probiotics is more effective in preventing flu than vaccination!…06:25
And this study found colostrum alone at least 3 times more effective than vaccination to prevent flu (and it is very cost-effective)…08:54
Interesting approach to a COVID vaccine…seems relatively natural – Passive immunity by immunoglobulin transfer…10:45
Another model/mechanism of action for colostrum/COVID here…12:30
Interesting…The most effective anti-COVID medicine in one recent analysis was…melatonin…15:20
- Beef Shortribs
- Beef short ribs from US Wellness Meats (use code BEN to save 15%)
- Bone Broth
- Red Wine
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cedar Wraps
- PowerXL Pressure Cooker
- Traeger Grill
- Pumpkin pie smoothie recipe:
- In a giant blender full of ice, add
- 1 Dropperful Omica Organics Vanilla Stevia (or any stevia or monk fruit sweetener will do)
- Half Teaspoon Salt (Good, High-Quality Salt, I use Colima)
- 1 Teaspoon Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1 Serving Colostrum
- 3 Scoops Organifi Gold Pumpkin Spice Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Canned Pumpkin Puree
- For liquid, use either bone broth or, for more calories, coconut milk. I use “just enough liquid” to get everything to blend so that the texture is more like ice cream rather than like a drinkable smoothie. I top this with a handful of unsweetened shredded coconut flakes, a few chunks of dark chocolate, and a few chunks of Maple Pecan Keto Brick cut into pieces.
- In a giant blender full of ice, add
- Organifi Gold (use code BENG20 to save 20%)
- Keto Bricks
- Kion Fasting Challenge (Starts Jan 11th. Free 5-day fasting challenge)
Check out where Ben is traveling and speaking on the BGF calendar.
Check out Ben on Instagram for epic posts and photos about his morning, day, and evening routines, recipes, and much more!
Follow Ben on Twitter for daily news flashes and the latest health, fitness, and anti-aging research.
Join Ben's Facebook page for conversations with listeners and even more useful information, posts, and support!
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
This podcast is brought to you by:
–Joovv: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give it a try: you won't be disappointed. For a limited time, Joovv wants to hook you up with an exclusive discount on your first order. Just apply code BEN to your qualifying order.
–Thrive Market: Organic brands you love, for less. Your favorite organic food and products. Fast and free shipping to your doorstep. Receive a gift card worth up to $20 when you begin a new membership.
–Paleovalley Beef Sticks: 100% grass-fed AND grass-finished. Keto friendly and higher levels of Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Receive a 15% discount on your order when you use my link.
Is Nut Oil & Fish Oil Oxidized, Rancid Or Bad For You?…25:22
Grace from Australia asks: I've been hearing a lot about the dangers of polyunsaturated fats lately, particularly in regards to how they oxidize easily, which could create cellular damage. Does this mean I should avoid regular consumption of nuts and fatty fish? I know that in nuts, the antioxidant properties of vitamin E could offset this oxidative damage, but vitamin E is also susceptible to light and heat.
In my response, I recommend:
- Refrigerating your olive oil to separate linoleic acid
- Cate Shanahan's books:
- Ben's article: A Deep “Dive” Into The Fascinating World Of Fish Oil, The Right Fat Ratios In Your Diet, Plant Vs. Animal Based Oils & The Exact Fish Oil Ben Greenfield Uses Every Day. (Re: when Ben mentions peroxidation vs. oxidation)
- Q&A 420: Which Stimulants Are Safe To Take At Night, Maximizing Benefits Of Cold Thermogenesis, When To Do Blood Flow Restriction Training & More!
- Q&A 421: Microdosing With LSD, Fish Oil & Omega-6 Fatty Acid Confusion Cleared, The Latest Coffee Research, Staying Fit In Your Car & Much More!
- The Giant Fish Oil Episode: Everything You’ve Ever Wanted To Know About Omega 3 Fatty Acids, EPA, DHA, Dosing, Sourcing & Much More! with Bill and Katherine Harris
- Joule Sous Vide Wand
- Thorne Vitamin D/K2
Can You Get Benefits From Sunlight In The Winter?…41:00
Taylor asks: I wanted to start by saying your podcast is absolutely incredible and it has changed the way that I view health and longevity. My question for you today is regarding sunlight. I live in the Midwest and typically in late October is when the UVB starts to decline. However, I was wondering if there is still benefit to getting out in the light, even without a shirt on. I know that sounds crazy in the winter months, but please let me know what your thoughts are on this, and thank you so much.
In my response, I recommend:
- D Minder app
- Sperti Vitamin D Lamp
14 Ways To Find Balance In Your Life…50:35
Jake asks: Hey, Ben, my name is Jake and I was just wondering how you find balance. I personally struggle trying to find balance in my financial, physical, mental, and spiritual health. How do you find the time? Thanks.
In my response, I recommend:
- Eat the frog first, whatever that is for you
- Create, don't consume while using screens
- All push notifications OFF
- Only one major meal per day
- Batch cooking
- Split the day in two with a nap
- NuCalm (with the 30-minute reboot function)
- Walk a LOT (and listen to audiobooks, podcasts, etc. while walking)
- Always be reading/learning (Kindle WhisperSync)
- Evernote synced across all devices (as outlined here) – Use a simple text file to capture, organize, and ultimately clarify all relevant information during administrative blocks—leaving your brain free to execute.
- Ruthlessly outsource
- Calendar every Sunday evening (Google Cal or BusyCal)
- Be in touch with God at all times
- Practicing His Presence by Brother Lawrence
- Accept seasons in life of harder work (e.g. 16-18 hour work days)
- Work hard, rest hard (e.g. Sabbath)
- Recommended Books:
- The Art of Less Doing by Ari Meisel
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
- Time Rich by Steve Glaveski
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- Why College Sucks (& Better Alternatives), How To Win At Any Game, What You Need To Say No To, & Much More with James Altucher.
Giveaways & Goodies
This week's top review….gets some Ben Greenfield Fitness swag straight from Ben! Click here to leave your review for a chance to win some!
10 thoughts on “Q&A 422: Colostrum & Melatonin For COVID, 14 Ways To Find Balance In Your Life, Is Nut Oil & Fish Oil Oxidized, Rancid Or Bad For You? Is Sunlight Beneficial In The Winter? & Much More.”
Currently taking seed synbiotic, is bifivir available in the USA? Or is it similar enough to stick with seed? Thanks!
Can spirulina be taken to reverse peroxidation after the fact? In other words, if I’ve eaten a lot of nuts and seeds in the past and have suffered the effects of peroxidation, can spirulina help reverse that now, or only proximate to when the offending food is being consumed? Thank you!
What source(s) do you use to keep up on the latest news, if any?
Hi Ben, I’ve started with NuCalm, and it’s been a very interesting journey so far. I found I get REM registered on my Oura ring when I do Recharge (20min) or Rescue (30min and more), even if I am wide awake! While I am on Nucalm, most of the time I do my breathwork, wear Apollo, and sometime chant my TM mantra. I get all the benefits of NuCal, just wondering if you see REM as well. Any additional insight on NuCalm, how to stack it, etc., are appreciated. I’ve heard both podcasts on it, by the way, but you and James were reviewing special NuCalm options, unavailable to most. Thanks!
You mentioned using a sous vide to cook salmon. I’ve wanted to get a sous vide for a long time but I’m nervous about cooking the food in hot water while it’s in a plastic bag. Which bags have been shown to not leach bpa or anything toxic into our food?
Pfizer/Biotech’s liability-free experimental mRNA COVID vaccine relies on a new nanoparticle-based ‘carrier system’ that utilizes PEG. For those who have PEG antibodies (most of us do), injecting PEG is a recipe for anaphylaxis. We’ve already had an adverse health event rate of 2.8%, according to the CDC. The FDA defines “adverse health events” as interfering with daily life and requiring medical intervention. 2.8%= 1 in 35 COVID vaccine recipients.
you mention melatonin a lot and i know i have heard podcasts guest selling the stuff but if your only fact using this, where are you getting it and how much are you taking?
the 14 tips for balancing life is crazy valuable a total blessing —Spot on advice–entirely relevant to me and I will share with family friends and colleagues–
D MInder always says Vit D is not available in winter months or when the sun does not get above 30 degrees on the horizon (rough test: your shadow is taller than you). How does that UK study work then? I’ve read Dr. Kruse obfuscate/rant about cold thermogenesis improving our semiconductors or mitochondria (??), which may help boost the system to improve Vit D production? Sounds like mid-day winter shiver walks might produce Vit D for Caucasians despite D Minder saying no?
Any cold exposure, being it “mid-day winter shiver walks”, ice baths, or all-year shorts and t-shirt (I’m in Denmark, so if I can do it, anyone can do it), is going to change your life.
You don’t need a doctor’s degree to try this out for yourself … Give it two months – either it works for you or it doesn’t … no harm done ..