June 24, 2023
Before asking your question, search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Life!
- AI and heart health: AI Evaluation of Stenosis on Coronary CTA, Comparison With Quantitative Coronary Angiography and Fractional Flow Reserve: A CREDENCE Trial Sub-study …6:56
- If you're concerned about heart health, a blood measurement called “plasma viscosity” is a good one to ask your physician about (in addition to a complete lipid panel, inflammatory markers, and glucose, IMO): Plasma Viscosity, Immunoglobulins and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality: New Data and Meta-Analyses…23:12
- A simple strategy such as one baby aspirin a day is likely going to be good for your heart, but also appears to be a “calorie restriction mimetic,” that can simulate the autophagy benefits of fasting. Is anybody currently on the aspirin bandwagon? Any concerning side effects that you have experienced? Aspirin Recapitulates Features of Caloric Restriction…26:56
- 70-80 mg/day is considered low dose, which is approximately one-tenth of the regular dose taken for fever
- Easy hack for high triglycerides – 1-4g daily dose of ginger: Effect of Ginger (Zingiber Officinale) Intake on Human Serum Lipid Profile: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis…31:06
- The hidden benefits of dick pills. Erectile Dysfunction Drugs May Have Major Cardiovascular Benefits…40:27
- Statins aren't all bad, but more people are on them than likely need to be – I look forward to an era of better actual diagnostic imaging for calcium/plaque, which tells the TRUE story: “The risk tool, released by the American Heart Association and the cardiology group in 2013, combines age, sex, smoking status, cholesterol level, blood pressure, and other factors to calculate a person’s risk of having a heart attack, stroke, or fatal coronary disease in the next 10 years.”: Could This Widely Used Calculator Be Needlessly Driving People to Take Statins?…47:00
- Sure, excess fructose can make you fat, but not if you're not in caloric excess: Important Food Sources of Fructose-Containing Sugars and Adiposity: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Controlled Feeding Trials (e.g., if you're burning 2000 calories per day you could drink 2000 calories of soda a day and not get fat provided you weren't eating or drinking anything else). And you'd lose weight if you were drinking, say, 1800 calories a day of soda. But I don't endorse that for other nutrient-based and metabolic reasons…51:12
- Sound advice here…”Eat like a pig” to lose weight: Eat like a Pig to Combat Obesity (cliff notes: don't overeat and optimize nutrient density)…56:13
- A definite case to be made here is that if you are eating a low-carb diet, you sure as heck better be careful that it is very clean, rich in phytonutrients, and certainly not a dirty keto approach. High-fat diet and most of their modern fads, especially when it comes to heart disease risk, are not all they are cracked up to be: Low-Carb/Fasting Raise, Low-Fat Diets Lower Risk of Early Death by 30%+…72:44
Want to submit your question for Ben to answer on the podcast? Submit here or send a direct message on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook. To make it easy to spot, preface your question with “Q&A Podcast Question: (ask question)” and keep it concise, please.
Q: Michael asks: “I have questions about Dr. Davis’ SIBO Yogurt and the Oregano Oil protocol. I think I could benefit from both. Should they be separated or could I do both in the same 4 weeks?”…78:00
- The carvacrol component of oregano oil significantly alters the bacterial cell wall
- Gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria are both killed off or damaged by oil of oregano
- Oil of oregano doesn't damage the gut walls; can help prevent leaky gut
- Do not take oil of oregano at the same time as your probiotic. Time the use of oil of oregano separate from when you consume fermented foods such as yogurt
- 2-4 hours of separation
- It takes about 2-4 hours for probiotics and fermented foods to work their way through your gastrointestinal tract
- Do not take excess oil of oregano
- Podcast episode on SIBO yogurt with Dr. William Davis:
- Gut to Glow (use code BEN15 to save 15%)
- Dr. Davis helped create this supplement
- Great for travel when you can't bring along your SIBO yogurt
Q: Brandon asks: “RE: The Kreatures of Habit Podcast, isn’t their product against what is considered healthy? All of their oats have sunflower oil in them. You’ve always taught me to avoid these oils. I’m so confused.”…84:08
- Podcast with Michael Chernow:
- Kreatures of Habit (KOH) overnight oatmeal (use code BGL20 to save 20%)
- Glyphosate-free oats
- The oats do not contain sunflower oil
- The pumpkin seeds are roasted in sunflower oil
- In general does not recommend high intake of sunflower oil, though there are three types:
- Linoleic Sunflower Oil
- 70% linoleic acid
- Extremely high in omega-6 fatty acids
- Sensitive to oxidation and temperature damage
- Mid-oleic and high-oleic sunflower oil
- Contains more of the beneficial oleic acid
- Higher in omega-9 fatty acids
- High-stearic sunflower oil
- Solid at room temperature
- Some benefits of sunflower oil
- Vitamin E rich
- Can help reduce LDL cholesterol levels
- Good for the skin
- Can help with infections
- Both linoleic acid and oleic acids have anti-inflammatory, immune-boosting, and infection-fighting properties
- Ben is okay with low to moderate consumption of a healthy sunflower seed oil
Join me for the Disrupt 2023 Event in Atlanta, Georgia, between September 29th – October 1st. This highly practical and immersive workshop will feature live Q&As, my top secrets for career success, and much more! Head to bengreenfieldlife.com/disrupt2023 to claim your spot today.
- Couples Collective: October 25th – 29th, 2023
Join Jessa and me for an exclusive and immersive way to explore health, wellness, and mindset with your significant other in Napa, California, October 25th – 29th. Head over to ownitcoaching.com/couples-collective to apply.
Endure NFT: Develop the tools, tactics, and habits for improving your spiritual stamina with my book Endure, become one of the 13 owners of the digital copy's NFT version of the book, and come to a private dinner and book signing by going to bengreenfieldlife.com/endurenft.
Check out Ben on Instagram for epic posts and photos about his morning, day, and evening routines, recipes, and much more!
Follow Ben on Twitter for daily news flashes and the latest health, fitness, and anti-aging research.
Join Ben's Facebook page for conversations with listeners and even more useful information, posts, and support!
Also, you can now find Ben on Gettr.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Wild Health: Wild Health is providing personalized healthcare online, driven by your DNA, bloodwork, and lifestyle. Learn everything from your optimal diet, exercise, and sleep routines to understanding the risk of chronic illnesses and how to prevent them with their concierge program available with high-touch, premium care for athletes and executives. Get 20% off with code BEN at wildhealth.com/ben.
BON CHARGE: Holistic wellness brand with a wide range of products that naturally address the issues of our modern way of life. They can help you sleep better, perform better, recover faster, balance hormones, reduce inflammation, and so much more. Go to boncharge.com/GREENFIELD and use coupon code GREENFIELD to save 15%.
Neurohacker Qualia Mind: Start experiencing what the best brain fuel on earth can do for YOUR mindset with Qualia Mind from Neurohacker. To try it, go to neurohacker.com/ben for up to $100 off right now, and use code BGF at checkout for an extra 15% off your first purchase.
Organifi Sunrise: Organifi’s Sunrise Kit includes their signature Green, Red, and Gold Juice blends. Get free shipping and 20% off your order of the Sunrise to Sunset Kit by going to organifi.com/ben.
Big Bold Health: Right now, Big Bold Health is offering listeners of this podcast 10% off your order. You can use this for Microbiome Rejuvenate, Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat Flour, or any other single product. To claim your offer, head to BigBoldHealth.com and use code BEN10 for 10% off.
Fart of War: The Fart of War is a hilarious, slightly odorous card game designed by my sons and me as part of our first-ever father-son gaming company, Fried Pickles Games. Head to fartofwar.com to learn more about this unique game and to grab your own. Your family will never sit around the table for game night the same way again.