July 29, 2021
Have a question you'd like Ben to answer on the podcast?
Click here, or use the ‘contact' button in the free Ben Greenfield Fitness app.
Prior to asking your question, do a search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Fitness!
News Flashes – Follow Ben on Twitter for more…
- These biohacking tricks give the world's best footballers the ultimate kick…05:30
- I totally agree with this paper endorsing much more *female* research and biologically sexual appropriate studies on humans…while I think “sexist” is an oft overused or misused term, it definitely applies to much scientific research these days…17:15
- If you are going to light your house with something other than the incandescent/red incandescent bulbs I use (details here), then OLED appears to be less problematic for circadian rhythm disruption than LED, but still not great—get incandescent bulbs of maximum wattage (150w) to avoid the harmful flickering of LED and fluorescent bulbs…23:05
- New article/paper on amino acids, protein, and aging DEFINITELY back up that the low-calorie, non-insulinogenic effects of essential amino acids (EAAs) make these a really good way to ‘stay anabolic' without excess aging (thank you Kion Aminos)…27:35
- “Reset” your circadian rhythm with bright light in the morning and melatonin at night…34:10
- A late dinner isn't as big a deal as most say when it comes to sleep disruption, but experiment/track nonetheless to see if that's the case for you…39:20
- You have GOT to be kidding me…”the world's first weight loss device“? Like a chastity belt for your mouth…46:30
- Ben will be speaking at the Ancestral Health Symposium in L.A. on August 12-14, 2021
- Las Vegas Keto Expo (October 15-16, 2021). Ben will be speaking at the Las Vegas Keto Expo along with 13 other keto experts. The first 300 guests to register here will get a free drink chip for the poolside party and a free t-shirt.
- Keep up on Ben's LIVE appearances by following bengreenfieldfitness.com/calendar
- Red Bulletin interviews Ben Greenfield
- Baba Mediterranian Grill Spokane
- The Scoop Spokane
- Wave Form Lighting
- Incandescent bulbs
- Red incandescent bulbs
- Sunlite bulbs
- Sauna space bulbs
- Amino acids that extend lifespan when restricted:
- Methionine—has been used in cancer therapy
- Tryptophan—reduces tumor formation
- Amino acid that increases lifespan:
- Ra Optics blue light blocking glasses
- Melatonin (use code BEN to save 5%)
- Beyond Training by Ben Greenfield
- Boundless by Ben Greenfield
- BGF podcasts with John Lieurance:
- The Shocking Truth About High-Dose Melatonin, Does Melatonin Supplementation Shut Down Your Own Production, How To Use Melatonin To Enhance Fasting & Much More With Dr. John Lieurance.
- The Crazy Future Of Medical Biohacking: Skull Resets, Suppositories, Nasal Sprays, Nebulizers, Sound Therapy & More With Dr. John Lieurance.
- BGF podcast with Dr. Satchin Panda:
–The Boundless Cookbook: Optimize your physical and mental performance with nutritious and delicious Greenfield family recipes. This is your roadmap to a culinary journey that includes ancient food and wild game preparation tactics, biohacked smoothies, meat rubs, cocktails, desserts, and beyond—without any restrictive diet, limited ingredients, or tasteless “health foods”! Order yours today here!
Check out Ben on Instagram for epic posts and photos about his morning, day, and evening routines, recipes, and much more!
Follow Ben on Twitter for daily news flashes and the latest health, fitness, and anti-aging research.
Join Ben's Facebook page for conversations with listeners and even more useful information, posts, and support!
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
This podcast is brought to you by:
–The Boundless Cookbook: Optimize your physical and mental performance with nutritious and delicious Greenfield family recipes. This is your roadmap to a culinary journey that includes ancient food and wild game preparation tactics, biohacked smoothies, meat rubs, cocktails, desserts, and beyond—without any restrictive diet, limited ingredients, or tasteless “health foods!”
–Organifi is running an exclusive offer for my listeners only! During the month of July, you will receive 20% off plus free shipping when you use code BEN at checkout. This is the biggest savings Organifi will ever offer and it is exclusive to my listeners.
–Kion Cold Thermogenesis Challenge: Kion is hosting a Free 5-Day Cold Thermogenesis Challenge, and if you’re curious about cold thermo, new to it, or even if you’re Wim Hof himself, you won’t want to miss this challenge.
–Ra Optics: Purchase a pair of Ra Optics Day and Night Lenses to optimize sleep quality, energy, levels, and health in the modern, electrically-lit world. Receive 10% off your order when you order through my link.
–Butcher Box: Delivers healthy 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door on a monthly basis. All their products are humanely raised and NEVER given antibiotics or hormones.
Q: How To Use Light To Sleep Better?…54:15
In my response, I recommend:
- If you are trying to shift your circadian rhythm backward, do workouts in the morning
- If you are trying to shift your circadian rhythm forward, do workouts mid-morning or afternoon
- Skip breakfast if you want to shift forward
- Eat breakfast if you want to shift backward, preferably with 30-40 g of protein
Q: What Athletes Should Eat Before Bed…56:35
In my response, I recommend:
- Ketones and amino acids or some fructose
- Spoonful of nut butter with honey and some sea salt
- A shot of ketone esters with some amino acids
- Coconut oil or coconut meat with sea salt and a source of fructose like a handful of blueberries
- Collagen or amino acids
- Ben's go-to pantry staples to stave off hunger before bedtime:
- Ketone esters
- A couple of scoops of Kion Aminos
- Raw organic honey
- Collagen if not doing amino acids
- Nut butter (save 15% off your first order with code bgf) with honey (save 15% on Beekeeper's Naturals with code BEN)
Q: What Are The Best Supplements For High Blood Pressure?….1:02:40
In my response, I recommend:
- Address the underlying issues causing high blood pressure, like stress, sleep, or fitness
- Breathwork with sauna
- Sunlight exposure
- Control and balance the Baroreflex mechanism
4 thoughts on “Q&A 432: The Latest Pro Athlete Biohacking Tricks, World’s First Mouth-Based Weight Loss Device, The Best Lightbulb For Sleep, Early Vs. Late Dinners & Much More!”
Great info as always! Silly question I know but if I’m going to a time zone that’s 4 hours behind where I am now does that mean shifting my circadian rhythm forward?
Argh! Noooo – air bubbles in my smoothie result in burping afterwards. So i put mine on a plate and stir it to do my best ensure there are no air bubbles. I do like mine thick though (soaked chia base usually – at present kale..acai berry powder.. parsley maybe, pineapple…can’t wait til breakfast!) also to eat with a spoon and have a bit of coconut yogurt or avocado and maybe some kimchi with it.. I love my smoothies.
Hi, I was wondering if you take your aminos and hour before bed or right up too it. Same with the honey, and colostrum. Thanks!
Ben mentions that incandescent bulbs use just “a little bit more power” then their LED equivalent. In this case “a little bit” = 75% more power. The LED bulb also has a lifetime of 20X to 100X the lifetime of the incandescent bulb. Typical savings of the LED bulb amount to about $8.00 per month over the life of the bulb.