November 22, 2018
Nov 22, 2018, Q&A Episode 392: What To Do When You Can't Exercise, How To Fuel With Ketones For Long Runs, How Endurance Athletes Can Gain Muscle, and Is Heavy Lifting Bad For The Heart?
Have a podcast question for Ben? Click the button at the bottom of the page (or go to SpeakPipe), or use the Contact button in the free Ben Greenfield Fitness app.
News Flashes [00:03:35]
A new study in humans shows stem cell injections really do work to fight the process of aging.
Here’s an interesting predictor of all-cause mortality…how well are you able to sit down on the floor and get up without using your hands?
It’s actually quite surprising which food is the most satiating…potatoes!
How to raise a less materialistic child (and a very good reason to visit ChristianGratitude.com if you haven’t yet).
You can receive these News Flashes (and more) every single day, if you follow Ben on Twitter.com/BenGreenfield, Instagram.com/BenGreenfieldFitness, Facebook.com/BGFitness, BenGreenfieldFitness.com/Snapchat, and Google+.
Special Announcements [00:17:50]
This podcast is brought to you by:
– Kion Black Friday – No code required, just go to GetKion.com – Kion Intro Gift Bundle (Beyond Training, Kion Coffee) – $35.97, Recovery Bundle (Kion Aminos, Kion Flex, LivingFuel SuperEssentials Fish Oil) – $109.97, Daily Kion Life Bundle (Kion Aminos, Kion Coffee, Kion Bar, Kion Lean) – $139.97
– Clearlight Sauna – You can see all the Clearlight Jacuzzi saunas at HealwithHeat.com. Use code: BEN – and you’ll get $500 OFF the regular price of each sauna and a gift with purchase.
– FitVine Wine – FitVineWine.com they crush grapes, you crush life! (use discount code: GREENFIELD10)
– GoshasOrganics.com – You get 10% off the entire purchase with the coupon code : BEN10% plus an additional 20% of each order will be given to the Whoolsey Fire victims in Malibu for the Los Angeles Fire Fighters Department and The Malibu Animal Shelter that saved many of our horses and other domestic animals.
–Click here to follow Ben on Snapchat, and get ready for some epic stories about his morning, day and evening routine!
– December 1, 2018: Spartan AT&T Park Stadium Sprint, San Francisco, California. Can you feel the energy, San Fran? Run around the concourse. Rope climb in the outfield. Do burpees in the dugout. Challenge yourself to three miles that will include 20+ signature obstacles. See you there!
– December 2 – 8, 2018: RUNGA Retreat, Dominican Republic. You’re invited to join me at RUNGA in December 2018. Join me in the Dominican Republic, one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, for this retreat. In all RUNGA activities, RUNGA invites you to come home to yourself. To see everything you’ll be getting into, just click here. Use code BEN when you register so you get your gift when you arrive! I’ll be there, too. Join the waitlist here.
– December 14 – 16, 2018: World Congress 2018 Hosted by the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, Las Vegas, Nevada. If you attend any conference this year, make it the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine’s 26th Annual World Congress. The fact is, in an era of andropause, low drive and deteriorating men’s health, it’s shocking that both practitioners and the public aren’t aware of ancestral wisdom and modern scientific and medical tactics that can be used to optimize male physiology. It’s time that changed, and I’ll be teaching exactly how to make men, men again. Join me!
– Jan 20 – 21, 2019: Serious Business Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana. This conference is going invoke thought and insight and expose you to new ideas and thinking on self-development and business in the beauty industry. Register here.
– April 6 – 7, 2019: FitCon Summit, Salt Lake City, Utah. FitCon® encourages everyone to Find Their Fit. It does not matter whether it is powerlifting, Crossfit, bodybuilding, roller derby, or even axe throwing. Be sure to visit the Kion booth in the expo!
-View the Official Ben Greenfield Fitness Calendar Here
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Giveaways & Goodies [01:05:50]
-This week's top iTunes review – gets some BG Fitness swag straight from Ben – click here to leave your review for a chance to win some!
Listener Q&A [00:25:56]
As compiled, deciphered, edited and sometimes read by Brock Armstrong, the Podcast Sidekick.
What To Do When You Can't Exercise [00:26:04]
Graeme says: I am having an op this week to repair an inguinal hernia. It is keyhole surgery where basically they place mesh over the affected areas. Exercise is my anti-depressant. I know I can’t do anything that stresses the core too much. Thought about indoor cycling and Compex. Any other thoughts on exercises I can do? Have been trying to think of strength exercises that DON'T engage the core but can’t think of many.
-John Ortberg “When The Game Is Over It All Goes Back Into The Box”
–How To Exercise With A Low Back Injury article
How To Fuel With Ketones For Long Runs [00:38:30]
Jessica says: I am a keto endurance runner and really enjoying the benefits. I am running a 7-day race in Feb (300km) and am wondering how I should be fueling to stay optimal for this? I am supposed to carry 2,200 calories with me per day. I am curious, how I can best get that all in there?
-My “How To Get Into Ketosis” article
–Kion Clean Energy Bar
–MCT or Brain Octane
–HVMN and Ketone Aid
-My “Fat-Based Energy Gels” article
How Endurance Athletes Can Gain Muscle [00:49:48]
Kennan says: I am a 17-year-old and next week I begin my final High School swim season. In the off-season, I have put mass and muscle (currently at 170 pounds). Is there any way I can continue to put on this muscle and mass while doing long endurance swims. How would I go about doing this? Any supplements I should take? Would a Keto Diet be a good idea to boost my performance and combat fatigue? Is the keto diet even ok for a teenager?
–Alex Viada & The Juggernaut Method of Training
–Hybrid Training book
–Weston A Price Dietary Guidelines
–Quicksilver Scientific Bitters #9
–Superessentials Fish Oil
–The Renegade Pharmacist Colostrum
Is Heavy Lifting Bad For The Heart [00:56:49]
Garrett says: I was wondering if heavy weight lifting could, over time, be bad for the heart? We know that it can spike blood pressure – can that cause problems over time? I like heavy lifting and I like what it does for my physique but I am worried about what it might do, long-term.
In my response, I recommend:
-Doug McGuff's book “Body By Science”
Prior to asking your question, do a search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Fitness!
8 thoughts on “392: The Truth About Stem Cells, What To Do When You Can’t Exercise, How Endurance Athletes Can Gain Muscle”
Hi Ben, I haven’t listened to your podcast for a very long while…and now trying to catch up. Such great info, thanks! One question because I am confused: is Brock back? I admit I wasn’t a fan of Rachel, which is partly why I stopped listening (sorry), and I was pleasantly surprised to hear Brock on this episode. Is he back??? Again, thanks for all you do, books, podcasts, articles and so much more x
Yes, Brock is back as my show sidekick!
Ben- I have find if I do a longer workout (4+ hours) and take more than 2 servings of Glycofuse I get stools that are very hard to get out. Sometimes if I use too much Glycofuse on back to back today this happens too. Is the normal and any thoughts/suggestions? CarboPro seems to work well for me.
You’ve mentioned liver in several podcasts and I’ve checked out Weston A Price site for info. Do you have a link to any study supporting its rank as number one food in nutrient density?
Love the show. Keep up the great inspiring work.
one other question. If one can’t afford to purchase a sauna, would wearing one of those plastic suits in a hot environment offer any benefits (other than the lack of light issue)?
Do you have a Youtube link or source for the breathwork practice that you do in the sauna?
BEN code is not working for fitvine … just FYI
Thanks Chris, we are working on getting code BEN active.. Code: Greenfield10 should do the trick