March 12, 2022
12 March 2022
Having been a consumer of a low-carb or some semblance of a somewhat ketogenic diet since I was a 19 year old bodybuilder — that's right, a couple decades of eating keto—I've admittedly covered the topics of ketosis and ketones plenty in past podcasts (see the resources section below for all previous episodes and articles).
However, quite recently, things have become a bit more exciting and cutting-edge in the ever-evolving realm of ketones, particularly when it comes to “exogenous ketones,” a supplemental form that one can consume to rapidly shift themselves into a state of safe, appetite-satiated, performance-dominating, inflammation-crushing ketosis, and so it's high time I gave you an update on these magical molecules.
My guest on this podcast, Michael Brandt, is the Co-founder and CEO of Health Via Modern Nutrition, or H.V.M.N. for short. Michael believes ketones are a nutritional primitive; a tool for everyone’s toolkit, akin to Omega-3, caffeine, or CBD. H.V.M.N. launched the world’s first ketone ester in 2017, secured a $6MM contract with U.S. Special Operations Command, and has since worked with elite athletes and researchers to determine the effects of its ketone formulas on everything from athletic performance to recovery to metabolic health and longevity.
During our discussion, you'll discover:
-“Exogenous ketones” defined and how they work…11:00
- The body has always made ketones in a carb-deprived state
- Ketone IQ is a directly drinkable ketone (use code BENG to save 10%)
- Exogenous ketones allow you to get to the equivalent ketone levels of 3-4 days of fasting
- A high level of ketones in the bloodstream is not indicative of the body's ability to utilize ketones for energy
-Limiting factors in the body's ability to utilize ketones…15:11
- Metabolic flexibility
- Difficult to pinpoint specific enzyme
- Ancient humans had higher ketone levels than humans today
- Ketone bodies produced by the liver
-What is Ketone IQ?…20:11
- Ketone IQ is in the BHB family
- Butanediol converts to BHB in the liver
- Ketone version 1 was esterized BHB with butanediol; relatively expensive ($30 a shot)
- Ketone version 2 (Ketone IQ) is simplified and more affordable
- Measure ketone levels via blood vs. urine
- A form of BHB in a specific configuration from what's been used in the past
- R13 Butanediol
-How HVMN has dramatically cut costs of producing ketone esters…27:39
- ~$4 per 10g dose
- Key metric: elevation of blood ketones per dollar without unpleasant side effects
-The average length of time of peak productivity after a Ketone IQ serving…35:02
- Benchmark is 500mg per kg of body weight (30-50g per day)
- The ketone will make you objectively less hungry
- Ketones may increase mTor activation
- Are ketones fasting friendly?
-The impact of elevated ketone levels on sleep…42:45
- Rhonda Patrick on Joe Rogan's podcast
- Podcast with Dr. Rhonda Patrick:
- Combined with alcohol makes one very sleepy
-Effects of ketone esters on recovery…47:15
- Kion Aminos effect amplified with ketone esters
- Different uses of ketones for different lifestyles/activities
-Compounds that stack well with ketones…49:46
- Caffeine amplifies ketones
- Dosing Sodium bicarbonate slowly
- Kratom blends well (code BEN40 for a 40% discount automatically applied at checkout)
- Amplification of “third-eye” while in a state of ketosis
- Plant medicine journeys
- Ketones activate brain activity
-Effects of ketones on Alzheimer's progression…57:08
- Correlation between diabetes and Alzheimer's
- TBI causes hypometabolism
- Ketones with chronic TBI study being commissioned
- Elevated levels of lactate
- BFR training to increase blood lactate levels
- Abbot's Lingo device for continuous ketone tracking
-Ben's tips on introducing ketones into your lifestyle…1:06:04
- Skip breakfast a few times
- 1-3 shots of Ketone IQ combined with coffee, baking soda, and fish oil
- BFR training with amino acids
- A couple of shots of Ketone IQ in place of lunch (use code BENG to save 10%)
And much more!
- RUNGA – The Gathering (May 12-14, 2022). Register for the event now by clicking here
- Keep up on Ben's LIVE appearances by following bengreenfieldlife.com/calendar
Resources from this episode:
– Michael Brandt:
- HVMN Ketone IQ (use code BENG to save 10%)
– Podcasts And Articles:
- The Latest Research On Ketones & Ketosis For Performance & Recovery, Do Ketones Break A Fast, Using Ketones For 45 Days Of Crossfit Murph, Ketone Esters vs. Ketone Salts & More With Geoffrey Woo of H.V.M.N.
- A Deep Dive Into Ketosis: How Navy Seals, Extreme Athletes & Busy Executives Can Enhance Physical and Mental Performance With The Secret Weapon of Ketone Fuel
- How To Use Exogenous Ketones For Recovery, Cognition, Sleep & Beyond.
- Four New, Cutting-Edge Ways To Easily Shift Your Body Into Fat-Burning Mode & Ketosis.
- The Great Ketogenic Ironman Experiment – Can You Go Low-Carb And Be A Fast Endurance Athlete Without Destroying Your Body?
- Combining Low Carb And Extreme Exercise – The Official Results Of The Great Ketogenic Ironman Experiment
- The Official “Ask Me Anything About Ketosis & Ironman” Premium Podcast with Ben Greenfield
- Is It Possible To Be Extremely Active and Eat A Low Carbohydrate Diet?
- How To Turn Yourself Into A Fat Burning Machine By Fasting For 24 Hours Then Going Out And Do Monster Workouts Without Bonking.
- How To Customize Your Diet.
- Microdosing For Sports Performance, Microdosing Stacks With Psychedelics & Plant Medicines, The Best Microdosing Protocols & Much More With James Fadiman.
- Everything You Need To Know About How To Use Heat Exposure To Enhance Performance, Burn Fat, Gain Muscle And Think Better.
- Top 3 Ways To Test For Ketosis
– Other Resources:
- Kion Aminos
- Kion Coffee
- Kion Omega
- Sodium Bicarbonate
- Feel Free (code BEN40 for a 40% discount automatically applied at checkout)
- BFR Bands
- Rhonda Patrick On The Joe Rogan Experience
- Metabolic Effects Of The Very Low Carbohydrate Diets: Misunderstood “Villains” Of Human Metabolism
- Metabolic Flexibility As An Adaptation To Energy Resources And Requirements In Health And Disease
- Beta-Hydroxybutyrate Or BHB – All You Need To Know
- Intake Of A Ketone Ester Drink During Recovery From Exercise Promotes mTORC1 Signaling But Not Glycogen Resynthesis In Human Muscle
- Link Between Diabetes and Alzheimer’s Disease Due To The Shared Amyloid Aggregation And Deposition Involving Both Neurodegenerative Changes And Neurovascular Damages
- Loss Of Neuronal Integrity: A Cause Of Hypometabolism In Patients With Traumatic Brain Injury Without MRI Abnormality In The Chronic Stage
–Lucy Nicotine Gum: If you are looking for a cleaner and tastier alternative to other nicotine products, then this product is for you. The gum comes in three flavors – Wintergreen, Cinnamon, and Pomegranate – and the lozenges in cherry ice. To save 20% on any order, just use discount code BEN20.
–Kion Sleep: Contains only natural ingredients with long clinical research history behind them that are safe to take every night. There’s no grogginess: You’ll wake up feeling refreshed, recovered, and energized!
–Butcher Box: Delivers healthy 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door on a monthly basis. All their products are humanely raised and NEVER given antibiotics or hormones.
–Endure: My new book, Endure, is now available for pre-order! I’ll gift you the first three chapters of Endure as an instantly downloadable e-book and I'll give you a sweet discount on the exact journal my family and I developed and use each day, The Spiritual Disciplines Journal.
Do you have questions, thoughts, or feedback for Michael or me? Leave your comments below and one of us will reply!