September 9, 2023
Before asking your question, search in the upper right-hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Life!
- New Master Class Enrollment is now open to my brand new Ben Greenfield Life Masterclass, a 6-week course that breaks down every aspect of your life and provides you with a life-practice map to help you master all six major areas.
I share my personal experiences, expertise, and proven strategies that have helped superstar athletes, mega-successful entrepreneurs, Hollywood actors, and thousands of individuals optimize their time, space, mind, body, spirit, career, relationships, and capital with my proven life design strategy.
- Spicy stuff for fat loss? Pass the hot sauce, please: In this meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials conducted in adults with overweight/obesity, supplementation with chili peppers, capsaicin, or capsinoids caused reductions in body mass index, body weight, and waist circumference: The effects of capsaicin intake on weight loss among overweight and obese subjects: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials – also seems to help with performance! Effects of different phenylcapsaicin doses on resistance training performance, muscle damage, protein breakdown, metabolic response, ratings of perceived exertion, and recovery: a randomized, triple-blinded, placebo-controlled, crossover trial…6:51
- Shoutout to Ben's hot sauce go-to, Joey's Hot Sauce (use code BEN20 to save 20%)
- This study: New Obesity Tool? Key may lie in receptor protein, brown fat cells show that capsaicin can mimic or enhance the effect of cold temperature to activate energy-burning brown fat cells and increase metabolism
- Diets often stop working due to adaptive thermogenesis
- The body reacts to lower calorie intake by reducing the amount of energy the body burns
- Studies have shown that capsaicin intake pre-workout:
- Favorably influenced squat performance
- Decreased rating of perceived exertion
- Decreased muscle damage
- Phenyl capsaicin is an alternative if you are sensitive to spice
- Capsaicin alternative: Grains of Paradise
- Contains paradoxine which increases thermogenesis, similar to capsaicin
- Penis optimization research – super interesting that my friend and former podcast guest Dr. Judson Brandeis has been able to safely and effectively grow healthy men’s penises almost an inch in length, a half an inch in girth, and significantly improve erectile function. Geez: Increasing Penile Length and Girth in Healthy Men Using a Novel Protocol:
The P-Long Study…15:22
- Yet another surprising benefit of daily “micro workouts”: reduced cancer risk – Vigorous Intermittent Lifestyle Physical Activity and Cancer Incidence Among Nonexercising Adults…20:30
- VILPAs (Vigorous Intermittent Lifestyle Physical Activity)
- For every 30 minutes of work (unless recording a podcast), Ben does a “micro workout”
Want to submit your question for Ben to answer on the podcast? Submit here or send a direct message on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook. To make it easy to spot, preface your question with “Q&A Podcast Question: (ask a question)” and keep it concise, please.
Q: Anil asks: Love the stuff you put out, and I practice what is possible within limits here in beautiful Kathmandu. My question is, since I want to speak about health, nutrition, and well-being in general, what is a good course (online or not) to get that validation?…20:05
- Many health coaching courses require an undergraduate or graduate degree in Exercise Science or Nutrition Science
- Ben's education consists of:
- Ben's education and certification benefits him
- Allowed him to work as a personal trainer
- Protected him from potential liabilities
- A four- or five-year degree program isn't necessary to become a health coach or personal trainer
- There are some very good health coach certification programs on the market
- Ben recommends these health coach certification programs:
Q: Dan asks: Is it OK to listen to podcasts etc. in the sauna on Bluetooth earphones or is it still bad for health?…40:10
- This study talks about many of these mechanisms and interplay: Signaling and Damaging Functions of Free Radicals in Aging—Free Radical Theory, Hormesis, and TOR
- All Bluetooth devices use EMF technology and RF (Radiofrequency) radiation
- Bluetooth devices give off less radiation than cell phones
- Non-ionizing radiation
- Less energy
- Research has not yet associated RF radiation from Bluetooth with adverse health effects
- There has been some anecdotal evidence
- Jerry Phillips, professor of biochemistry at the University of Colorado is concerned that Airpods emit harmful non-ionizing radiation to the head
- EMF exposure in combination with heat can cause damage to sperm
- E.g., walking on a hot day with your cell phone in your pocket
- The Non-Tinfoil Guide to EMFs: How to Fix Our Stupid Use of Technology by Nicolas Pineault
- Ben's EMF go-to guy, Brian Hoyer of Shielded Healing (use code BEN to get $100 off of any assessment listed under our services)
- Sauna therapy activates heat-shock proteins
- EMF exposure can increase the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS)
- Mitochondria are susceptible to oxidative damage
- Podcasts with Brian Hoyer:
- Important to use only low-EMF saunas
- Ben always keeps his cell phone in airplane mode while in the sauna or a heated environment
Q: Wade asks: Hey Ben! I can’t afford the ARX machine, so is there another way to do a simple set to failure?…49:50
- Nautilus workout systems at home or in the gym
- X3® Bar Workout with bands
- Kybun shoes
- Free weights also work well
- Be careful with the deadlift – Ben often skips this exercise if he's traveling and using free weights
- Ben's tip if you still have some “gas in the tank” at the end of 8 reps in a set, but can't do one more slow:
- Go to the end range of motion
- “Bounce” and move through micro motions to completely exhaust the muscle
- Body by Science by John Little and Doug McGuff
Q: What's your recommended setup for a treadmill desk?…54:00
Q: What options do you recommend for males with low testosterone who are trying to have kids? I tried Clomid and Anastrazole for a long time but they're not working…1:00:33
- Testosterone replacement therapy can help men feel better overall, though can decrease sperm count
- If testosterone levels are low, the body naturally increases production of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)
- Triggers testes to produce more sperm
- When your brain detects an increase in testosterone from TRT (testosterone replacement therapy), sperm production process is disrupted
- Podcast with Adam Lamb:
- There are some workarounds to help with fertility:
- Some doctors combine TRT with hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) treatment
- You can try sperm banking prior to TRT
- Avoid excessive alcohol and heat from sauna or hot tub overuse
- Traditional TRT isn't necessary, in Ben's opinion
- Primary hypogonadism
- Rarer than secondary hypogonadism
- Hypothalamus and pituitary gland function is normal
- Successfully signaling for testosterone production
- Testes failing to produce testosterone (primary testicular failure)
- TRT is often the only option
- Secondary hypogonadism
- More common than primary hypogonadism
- Testes are able to produce testosterone
- Hypothalamus and pituitary gland are not sending the signal
- TRT may not be a good idea due to the enzyme aromatase
- Causes an excess of estradiol (E2) which impacts fertility
- Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) are a better option than Clomid
- Causes E2 to not be bound to the receptor that causes the decrease in LH and FSH
- Most popular SERM is Enclomiphene
- Ben recommends Enclomiphene with a small dose of Testosterone, or Enclomiphene by itself
Join me for the Disrupt 2023 Event in Atlanta, Georgia, between September 27th – September 30th. This highly practical and immersive workshop will feature live Q&As, my top secrets for career success, and much more! Head to bengreenfieldlife.com/disrupt2023 to claim your spot today.
- Couples Collective: October 25th – 29th, 2023
Join Jessa and me for an exclusive and immersive way to explore health, wellness, and mindset with your significant other in Napa, California, October 25th – 29th. Head over to ownitcoaching.com/couples-collective to apply.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Lucy Gum: If you are looking for a cleaner and tastier alternative to other nicotine products, Lucy is for you. To save 20% on any order, head over to Lucy.co use discount code BEN20.
Hiya: Get your kids the full-body nourishment they need to grow into healthy adults. We've worked out a special deal with Hiya for their best-selling children's vitamin. Receive 50% off your first order. To claim this deal you must go to hiyahealth.com/BEN. This deal is not available on their regular website.
Apollo: Apollo is a safe and non-invasive wearable that actively improves your sleep. Head over to apolloneuro.com/bengreenfield and use code BG15 for 15% off.
House of Macadamias: For a very limited time, we’re gifting a free box of Namibian Sea Salted Macadamia Nuts worth $35 when you visit houseofmacadamias.com/ben plus 20% off your entire order with code BEN.
Anthros: Try Anthros risk-free – return at no cost if it's not the most comfortable posture-improving, performance-enhancing chair you have ever owned. Receive $200 off using the link www.anthros.com/ben.
Ben Greenfield Coaching – Elite Plan: It's time to transform your health and fitness journey with the new Elite Plan from Ben Greenfield Coaching. To learn more and join the elite ranks of high achievers who have successfully turned their knowledge into lasting transformation, visit our website at www.bengreenfieldcoaching.com/elite.