February 18, 2021
I get tons of questions about microdosing—specifically, microdosing with psychedelics or plant medicines such as lithium, psilocybin, LSD, San Pedro, DMT, ibogaine, and beyond.
My guest on today's podcast, Jim Fadiman, Ph.D.—who has a host of information on microdosing with psychedelics in his book The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys and also at MicrodosingPsychedelics.com—is considered to be one of the world's leading experts on psychedelics and plant medicine and has developed some particularly helpful and effective microdosing protocols.
Jim holds degrees from Harvard and Stanford and wrote his entire dissertation about LSD-assisted therapy. In addition to holding consulting, training, counseling, and editorial jobs, he has taught in psychology and design engineering at San Francisco State, Brandeis, and Stanford. For three decades, Jim taught Sufism and other classes at Sophia University, which he co-founded.
He has also published textbooks, professional books, a self-help book, a novel, and produced a play and various videos, including Drugs: The Children are Choosing, for National Public Television. He was featured in a National Geographic documentary and had three solo shows featuring his nature photography. He has been involved in researching microdosing psychedelics since 2010.
Jim and his co-author, Jordan Gruber's most recent book, which we'll dive into on this podcast, is entitled Your Symphony of Selves: Discover and Understand More of Who We Are.
During this discussion, you'll discover:
-How Jim defines a microdose…07:00
- Typical LSD microdose is 10 micrograms (mcg); mushrooms is .10 gram
- Small amount, not taken very often
- The variable you use to know the proper dose is how you feel, not necessarily body mass or type
- A “high” feeling is a sign it's too much
- L-theanine is used to take the edge off when someone has taken too much caffeine (100-200 mg)
- Magnesium Threonate
- Not just the brain is affected; the entire body feels the effects as well
-Microdosing as a pre-workout strategy…10:53
- The system works better in general when in equilibrium
- A marathoner reported taking 20 minutes off his half-marathon time after microdosing
- LSD is not currently banned by WADA, NCAA, USADA
- Size of a microgram: 1.45 quadrillion molecules in one microgram
- The small improvement from a microdose may be all you need to win the race, the competition, etc.
- Runner’s High: Marijuana’s Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance (& Whether Weed Really Can Make You Better At Sports), With Tim Moxey.
-Lesser-known substances people are microdosing with…18:50
- LSD may turn into other substances once it's in the body (ALD, 1P-LSD)
- MDMA is not a psychedelic; different family, different effect
- Ibogaine to overcome addiction
- Psilocybin and peyote have “agendas” or identities not found in LSD
- Chris Bell documentary on ibogaine for addiction
- Ibogaine is not recreational; the experience can be very unpleasant in its vivid recall of the past
- Microdosing does not give a psychedelic effect
-How microdosing affects neuroplasticity and brain function…28:45
- Cells exposed to microdoses develop more dendrites, capacity
- People with long-term problems such as concussions see legitimate repair after microdosing
- Navy SEALs found ibogaine to be one of the best concussion repair treatments they'd experienced
-Gold standard microdosing protocols…36:23
- Psychedelics have tolerance, the reverse of addiction
- Fadiman Protocol (2-day effect): 1 day on, 2 days off, 1 day on; (on microdosingpsychedelics.com)
- Stamets Protocol: 4 days on, 3 days off; or 5 days on, 2 days off
- A study to determine the difference between the two is currently underway
- Jim does not recommend a “rotational” protocol where a different substance is taken each day
- Go for the max benefit with the least amount you take
- The best results are reported when taken less often
-Best practices for microdosing…44:00
- Combine it with other practices such as meditation or walking in nature
- People report it causes them to return to meditation or walking in nature
- People consume less alcohol, marijuana, and coffee because they “don't feel the need.”
- Good idea to take a few weeks off every couple of months
- Similar to periodization for exercise
- Flow State Micro
- Microdosing minus 1 (minus psilocybin)
-The effects of microdosing on those suffering from depression…50:00
- Chronic depression patients experience remarkable recovery after microdosing
- Ketamine's effects on neuroplasticity uncertain
- “More glad, less sad”
- Good Chemistry by Julie Holland
-Microdosing used “in-between” larger doses, plant medicine ceremonies, etc…52:45
- You experience the social effects of plant medicine for 4-6 weeks after a high dose
- Don't make a major life decision within 1 week of a high dose
- Wait until the ego is back onboard, thinking logically
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Lion's Mane
- Choline/choline derivatives (eggs, walnuts) on microdosing days
-What “multiplicity” is and whether microdosing can be used to assist with “tapping into” one's multiple selves…1:00:00
- Your Symphony of Selves by James Fadiman and Jordan Gruber
- Not wanting to go to the gym, then realizing how much you enjoy the gym when you get there
- Who are you arguing with when you argue with yourself?
- Different roles you play: professional vs. being a parent
- Microdosing helps you get into the “right mind at the right time”
- Become more forgiving of yourself, and more tolerant of the quirks and faults of others, particularly your children
- Microdosing makes it easier to shift/switch from self to self
-Where to get the products needed for microdosing…1:07:45
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Resources from this episode:
- Microdosing Psychedelics
- Microdosing Institute
- Flow State Micro
- San Francisco Psychedelic Society
- Microdosing Institute video: Start your Microdosing Journey today with this video course
- Runner’s High: Marijuana’s Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance (& Whether Weed Really Can Make You Better At Sports) with Tim Moxey.
– Other resources:
- Good Chemistry by Julie Holland
- Twenty percent better with 20 micrograms? A qualitative study of psychedelic microdosing self-rapports and discussions on YouTube
–Kion Immune: Kion Immune is a blend of two of the most-studied, clinically-proven nutrients for immune health: Vitamin C and Zinc. It may sound simple, but the truth is these two nutrients are essential when it comes to the immune system functioning properly. BGF listeners, receive a 10% discount off your order when you use discount code BEN10.
–Joovv: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give it a try: you won't be disappointed. For a limited time, Joovv wants to hook you up with an exclusive discount on your first order. Just apply code BEN to your qualifying order.
–Thrive Market: Organic brands you love, for less. Your favorite organic food and products. Fast and free shipping to your doorstep. Receive a gift card worth up to $20 when you begin a new membership.
–Seed Daily Synbiotic: A formulation of 24 unique strains, each of which included at their clinically verified dose, to deliver systemic benefits in the body. Save 15% off your order when you use discount code BEN15.
9 thoughts on “Microdosing For Sports Performance, Microdosing Stacks With Psychedelics & Plant Medicines, The Best Microdosing Protocols & Much More With James Fadiman.”
Great podcast! After a decade of alcoholism and depression microdosing has helped me transform my daily habits in every way I’ve always wanted. I was happy to hear there were others that experienced success with the 5 days on/2 off approach and, thanks again, a very reassuring podcast.
My question is, I’ve just moved to a tiny PNW town and have taken a break for the first few weeks but feel it is time but have a phobia of looking like the ‘high’ guy, so much that it impacted my dose a week ago, and am wondering if you have any advice besides cbd and avoiding caffeine?
I should say, in addition to, not besides. Thank you.
First off, awesome podcast!
When considering Stamets protocol for microdosing psilocybin, how do you go about this in regard to meal timing?
Empty stomach, no carbs, with fats… etc. I know its not likely well defined but I just wanted your opinion.
Thanks a lot.
Probably similar to all other protocols, take before ten AM to insure good sleep. With or before or After food.
Now if only there were a way to obtain some of these things legally
ben – on your jim rome podcast you mentioned having something on your calendar that scares you or at least pushes you outside of your comfort zone. north of boise in central idaho on various rivers we have been stand up paddle boarding class III & IV rapids. we also do 50 mile overnighters encompassing much of how our lifestyles overlap: breath work, micros, morning movement, quality coffee, ceremonial chants by the fire and the best of course is sleeping under the stars on the sand knowing you’re going to wake up refreshed and recharged ready for a full day of attempting to stay standing through big rapids but knowing you’re gonna take a few swims.
it is a helluva a thing. if it interests you let me know. we have one amazing of a group of men of which this trip has been life changing.
much love and thank you for all you do. the information you put out is absorbed and appreciated.
wow! I'll email u if interested…
Wow how do I get involved in this? Sounds like an incredible experience!
Share your website Boyd, sounds super cool!