April 4, 2020
In this special episode, recorded on-site at SystimFit in New York City, you'll get to hear (or watch if you check out the video below) me go through a series of advanced workout biohacks that reflect what the future of fitness and gyms may one day look like—including how to deliver massive fitness results with a minimum effective dose of exercise, combining cold thermogenesis with exercise, blood flow restriction training, electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) using full-body suits, ozone sauna therapy for recovery, and much more!
The good folks at Systimfit were kind enough to host me for this episode during my recent trip there in January of 2020. SystimFit makes working out shockingly efficient and effective by giving users the benefits of a 90+ minute workout in only 20 minutes. One of the only whole-body EMS systems to be cleared by the FDA for consumer use in the United States, SystimFit safely contracts all major muscle groups at a rate 85 times higher than the average workout. Scientifically based and bespoke to each client and their needs, SystimFit sessions are designed to crank up the intensity of conventional workouts, allowing users to reach their goals faster, safer, and more effectively—no matter their fitness level.
SystimFit co-founder, Josh Holland, who you will hear in this episode, is a holistic, nationally-certified, accomplished celebrity trainer and fitness expert who utilizes his strong knowledge in exercise science, biomechanics, nutrition, and ancestral health to develop proven techniques and programs. Having transformed the bodies of a host of celebrities including Madonna, Oscar Isaac, and Roger Waters, Josh has been responsible for the health and wellness of many notable people in the worlds of business, fashion and entertainment. Some of Josh’s qualifications include: NASM CPT, Certified Whole Body EMS Trainer, Technogym Master Trainer, Primal Blueprint Expert, MovNat L1, CrossFit L1, M|WOD Movement & Mobility Specialist, and CMS (Certified Micronutrient Specialist).
In this episode, you'll discover:
Part 1: “The Ben Greenfield Experience” from the Walk the Talk Podcast…6:00
-How Allie snagged Ben for a session at SystimFit…7:00
- Multiple bloggers and podcasters reached out to Ben
- Dr. Steve Geanopulos (Dr. G)
- Allie reached out via email and Instagram…and text messages
- Sold the community aspect; not just a podcast appearance
- BGF podcast at The Assemblage
- Ben visited SystimFit one year to the day after Allie moved to NYC
- Collaboration vs. competition; no strings attached referrals to help clients
-Allie and Josh recap The Ben Greenfield experience at SystimFit…21:30
- Full Vasper workout as a warm-up
- EMS 20-minute session (Check out this article to learn more about various EMS devices I've used)
- ARX (adaptive resistance exercise) workout (use code BEN $500 off shipping and installation)
- Extremely intense; 1 time per week is recommended
- Effective, efficient, quantifiable
- Truly a full workout
- Ben's motto “Ancestral wisdom and modern science” is similar to SystimFit's philosophy
- Workout out smarter, not harder
- ARX device is now being used by Gonzaga University basketball team, perhaps soon professional sports teams
- Book: The Body Electric by Robert Becker
Part 2: Ben's workout at SystimFit…49:50
-Hip opener series on the PEMF table…50:39
- Want mild discomfort in the hips
- EMS helps to release tightness in the hips
- Do longer session for tighter muscles
- Use the warm-up any time the hip or lower back muscles feel tight
- Differences in frequencies:
- Lower frequencies better for acute injuries
- Mid range for general release
- Higher range for organs, stimulation, etc.
-The Vasper session…58:40
- Super 8 Fusion protocol
- 4 key modalities:
- Arteries allow blood into the muscles; veins are restricted
- Muscles feel like they're under more stress than they really are
- Vasper is the biohack Ben would choose if he had to choose just one
- 21-minute Vasper workout is roughly equivalent to 2-3 hours of training
- Hormone optimization w/ Vasper
- BGF podcast w/ Sebastian Wasowski, CEO of Vasper
- BGF podcast on BFR
-Whole-body electrical muscle stimulation…1:20:45
- Begin with rolling ankles, wrists, elbows, shoulders, chin, neck, etc. to stimulate circulation
- Slack block for 2 minutes
- Lots of stress on glutes, adductors
- EMS is used as a means of acquiring feedback from the body
- Exercise is voluntary contractions; device provides involuntary contractions
- Sensation from EMS is similar to a mild cramp
- Multiple people can do different protocols simultaneously
- The goal is to damage the muscles; recovery is the physiological effect desired
–ARX (adaptive resistance exercise)…1:55:16
- ARX is done with EMS
- Concentric mass: 347 lb. of force
- Output: 1747 lb. goes through the body
Ben's Full Workout at SystimFit:
After the workout at Systimfit, Ben visited La Casa Spa in nearby Manhattan where he experienced a HOCATT machine for the first time. Here's some video footage of the experience.
Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
– BGF podcasts mentioned:
- The Assemblage in New York City
- Blood Flow Restriction (Kusha Karvandi)
- Sebastian Wasowski of Vasper
- My Podcast with Dr. Steve Geanopulos
– Dr. Steve Geanopulos (Dr. G)
– EMS devices Ben uses:
- Marc Pro (use code BEN for a 5% discount or the option to pay in 12 payments)
- Neubie (use code BEN for $1,000 off the purchase or $100 off the monthly rental payment for 6 months)
– ARX (use code BEN $500 off shipping and installation)
– Magnesium for recovery
– Book: The Body Electric by Robert Becker
– Kion: My personal playground for new supplement formulations, Kion blends ancestral wisdom with modern science. Ben Greenfield Fitness listeners, receive a 10% discount off your entire order when you use discount code: BEN10.
– Organifi Gold: A new take on an ancient secret: Pain-soothing herbs, incredible antioxidants, and phytonutrients all in one delicious, soothing “Golden Milk” nighttime tea! Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code: BENG20.
– CAR.O.L: Clinically proven to give you the same cardio benefits of a 45-minute jog in under 9 minutes, with only 40 seconds of hard work. Receive a $200 discount off your CAR.O.L bike when you use discount code: GREENFIELD200
– JOOVV: After using the Joovv for close to 2 years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give it a try: you won't be disappointed. Order using my link and receive my brand new book, Boundless absolutely free!
4 thoughts on “The Ultimate Biohacked Workout & The Future Of Fitness: Minimal Effective Doses, Cold, Blood Flow Restriction, Electrical Muscle Stimulation, Ozone & More!”
Awesome 👏 work !
Cheers for working this hard to educate your listeners.
If you even coming to Sweden, I’ll be sure to catch up with you!
Meanwhile if you think we can setup Kion And any affiliate products related to bio hacking import and distribution in Sweden that you would be a great project for me to get into. Let me know your thoughts on that !
We have an ARX (adaptive resistance exercise) in Gilbert, AZ (Phoenix) if anyone is ever in the area and wants to try it out. www.BanasSportsTherapy.com
Ben, you are famously concerned about electromagnetic waves (Wifi and cell signals, etc). The science remains unclear (at least according to the research sponsored by the cell phone industry?) Anyway, I’m just wondering if you have given any thought to the intentional application of electrical voltage to your body as if you had dissected a frog and wanted to see its legs twitch? This introduces 4.3 billion times (my calculation) more electrical contamination to your cells than the millivolts picked up by your body from a day of exposure to wireless signals… I understand one is acute and one is chronic. Thanks bro, keep hacking away so the rest of us don’t need to make mistakes.
Do you eat low glycemic carbs like berries even on days that you’re not carb refeeding?