December 27, 2018
This podcast is the official recording of a talk on “fasted exercise” I gave at Dr. Dan Pompa's recent “Live It To Lead It” conference in Las Vegas a few weeks ago.
Millions of people around the world don't know what or even when their next meal will be. Because of this uncertainty, they move as little as possible so as to conserve as much energy as they can.
Meanwhile, you and I have the luxury of actually choosing not to eat while food is in abundance. And then actually burning calories while we are in a fasted state.
First-world problem? Perhaps. But if you do have the luxury of choosing to not eat when your primal instincts are screaming at you to eat then you must do so with intention and a proper understanding of how not eating will affect your body in relation to your exercise and daily work regimen.
But before jumping into this episode…
…It’s officially the New Year, a time where most of us are joining new gyms, trying out fad diets, and making plans to “finally get abs”.
Most people love the idea of going into a new year with goals to transform themselves into healthier, happier, and overall better human beings. Sticking to those goals, however, is another story. Joining a group challenge can be a great way to jump into the New Year, stick to your goals, and get support from others doing the same thing.
That’s why my team at Kion and I have put together a 5-day Fasting Challenge from January 7th to January 11th to kick off the New Year.
Here’s what you need to know:
-Anyone can join, no matter your experience with fasting. We’ve got recommendations from beginner to advanced, and everywhere in between.
-Fasting can be confusing, so we’ve broken down all the research for you into an in-depth, comprehensive guide detailing the different types of fasting, what they’re good for, how to do them, and tips and tricks for making your fast easier.
-Best of all, this challenge is completely free. No special supplements, pre-packaged meals, or nasty drink mixes required. It can even *save* you money that you typically spend on your normal groceries.
-If you want to start the new year on the right foot and harness the powerful benefits of fasting, go to getkion.com/fast to join our challenge and get the *free* comprehensive guide, Fasting Decoded
I will also be leading a live Facebook Q&A during the challenge, so be sure to join the Kion Facebook community to get all your fasting questions answered. Team Kion and I will be doing the challenge too, so we hope you’ll join us. You can click here to join for free!
In this episode, you'll learn…
-How I got introduced to the concept of pre and post-workout fasting during my years as a body builder…7:05
- Conventional thought at the time:
- Eat a lot right after workout, to get into the “recovery window”
- Snack and graze
- Explored other options when I got into endurance training
- Discovered “ketosis” in 2013
- Amino acids
- Dominic D'Agostino
-Busting the myth of snacking and pre/post-workout meals…12:45
- Importance of the post-workout meal is vastly decreased if you haven't been fasting prior to the workout.
- Only benefit from a performance standpoint is if you workout again within 8 hours.
- After 24 hours, the body naturally replenishes its glycogen levels.
- If you've eaten prior to a workout, you don't need to replenish aminos, glycogen, etc.
- I bend the rules if I'm working with someone who needs to build body mass.
-What fasted exercise actually is…18:05
- Exercising in a state of glycogen depletion
- A light workout in a fasted state is preferable (in the morning)
- For evening workouts, you'll have not eaten since lunch, then you can eat after working out, but it's not essential to do so immediately.
-The 10 benefits of fasted exercise…25:10
- Burning more fat
- Anti-aging effect
- Better brain function
- Increased growth hormone levels
- Improved insulin sensitivity
- Increased testosterone
- Enhanced fat loss
- Better endurance
- More stable gut during exercise
- Hunger management
-Practical ways to do fasted workouts…41:15
- Exercise before breakfast
- Need to include carbs in breakfast? Only if you're going to work out again within 8 hours.
- Don't eat dinner for an hour or two after late-afternoon or early-evening workout.
- Use supplements
-A few cautions…47:10
- Decreased intensity (depending on the scenario)
- Post-workout hypercaloric compensation (stuffing your face)
And much more!
Resources from this episode:
Myth: You Need To Snack Throughout The Day & Eat A Pre- Or Post-workout Meal
- Study: Increased meal frequency does not promote greater weight loss in subjects who were prescribed an 8-week equi-energetic energy-restricted diet
- Study: Thermogenesis in humans after varying meal time frequency
- Study: The role of diet and exercise for the maintenance of fat-free mass and resting metabolic rate during weight loss
- Ben's meal schedule:
- if breakfast, then between 9:30 and 10:30
- lunch between 1:30 and 2:30
- dinner between 7:30 and 8:30
- Additional meal when training: whey protein, Cocochia, coconut milk
What Is Fasted Exercise?
10 Benefits Of Fasted Exercise
Burn More Fat
- Article: All Hits, No Misses: How Intermittent Fasting and HIIT Workouts Can Help You with Your Fitness Goals
Better Brain Function
- Article: The Exercise Mistake Which Makes You Age Faster
- Article: This Interval Training Infographic Helps You Pick the Right Workout
Increased Growth Hormone Levels
- Study: The exercise-induced growth hormone response in athletes
- Study: Fasting enhances growth hormone secretion and amplifies the complex rhythms of growth hormone secretion in man
- Article: Everything You Need to Know About Human Growth Hormone
Improved Insulin Sensitivity
- Article: WTF Is Insulin and How Does It Affect Our Health and Fat Loss?
- Article: The Muscle-Building Messenger: Your Complete Guide To Insulin
- Article: 5 Ways to Improve Insulin Sensitivity
- Article: Why Fast? Part One – Weight Loss
- Article: Routine periodic fasting is good for your health, and your heart, study suggests
- Article: Phys Ed: The Benefits of Exercising Before Breakfast
- Article: John Romaniello on the Benefits of Saturated Fat, Testosterone for Women, and More (The Greatist Podcast)
- Article: How to Get In Cardio When You Can't Run
- Article: Fasted Training for Superior Insulin Sensitivity and Nutrient Partitioning
Enhanced Fat Loss
- Article: Breakfast Before or After a Workout?
- Article: Why Fast? Part Five – Exercise
- Article: Fasted training: should you eat before exercise?
- Article: Fasted Training Boosts Endurance and Muscle Glycogen
Stable Gut During Exercise
- Choose low-calorie drinks to keep appetite satiated, including Pellegrino or Gerolsteiner in glass bottles (I highly recommend adding Omica Organic Butterscotch Toffee Stevia)
- Zevia Soda (click here to listen to my fascinating podcast with the CEO)
- Bragg’s Organic Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks (*AMAZING* digestifs, but choose versions with no sugar, like Ginger Spice)
- Kevita Coconut Water Kefir (also choose versions with low residual sugar/calories, like Lemon Cayenne)
- Any tea of choice including green tea, black tea, specialty teas or (if organic) decaf coffee.
How To Do It
Exercise Before Breakfast
- Article: Burn Away Fat Cells With Intermittent Fasting
- Article: Top Breakfast Myths Debunked
- Article: Why Exercising at This Time of Day is FAR Better than Any Other Time
- Article: Insulin Resistance Speeds Up Cognitive Decline
Wait After Afternoon/Early Evening Exercise
- Book: The Circadian Code: Lose Weight, Supercharge Your Energy, and Transform Your Health from Morning to Midnight
- Article: Early Morning Fasted Training
- Kion Lean
- Kion Coffee
- Kion Aminos
- Article: The Lean Gains Guide
- Article: Is Eat Stop Eat A Water Fast?
- Ketone Salts
- KetoneAid, HVMN
Post-Workout Caloric Hypercompensation
Men vs. Women
- Article: This Is What Happens to Your Body When You Exercise
- Article: Peak Fitness: Reap the Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training
It Takes Time
–Kion Lean Support for normal blood sugar levels and healthy energy metabolism, even after large, carb-rich meals.
–Harry's Razors Try the shaving company that's fixing shaving. We make it easy to switch, with a trial offer.
–Gainswave The best bedroom biohack for men who are hunting down A-1 sexual performance. Use my link and get a free treatment with the purchase of 6 treatments!