Welcome to Ben Greenfield's Weekly Roundup and Cool New Discoveries!
Ben Greenfield's discoveries, from the latest news on the fronts of fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, biohacking and anti-aging research. I also recap my upcoming events and special announcements so you can keep up with giveaways, discounts and more!
New Discoveries Of The Week: Cool New Things I'm Trying, Books I'm Reading, And More!
– What I'm Listening To
I'm often asked about my music of choice for studying, working, and simply lounging around. Frankly, I'm a bit plain Jane, but I always find myself returning to my classical roots. The past four weeks, my home has mostly been the Pandora (yep, I'm an old-school Pandora guy) “Classical Music For Study” station.
In addition to improving cognition, decreasing blood pressure, and activating the parasympathetic nervous system, here are a few more shocking benefits of listening to classical music during your daily routine.
How about you? What's your music of choice? Leave a comment in the comments section below and let me know.
– A New Way To “Force Yourself” To Breathe Through Your Nose During Workouts
Someone recently sent me an “OptiO2 Sport” which claims to combine the athletic benefits of nasal breathing with the performance enhancement of a mouthguard. Some benefits of nasal breathing, even when you're pushing hard, include:
- Improved athletic performance (increase strength, balance, flexibility, and focus).
- Increased muscular endurance (reduce the rate of lactic acid build-up and slow dehydration).
- Speedier post-workout recovery (reduce the amount of cortisol produced during training).
I gave this thing a try and was surprised at how much more I breathed through my nose during a hard HIIT workout compared to when I simply “think” about breathing through my nose. It really does make mouth-breathing completely impossible and stays in the mouth quite well during a workout.
Click here to learn how the OptiO2 Sport can teach you how to breathe through your nose the right way during a workout, and use code BEN to save 10% plus get free shipping in the US.
Podcasts I Recorded This Week:
Articles I Published This Week:
My full article feed and all past archives of my articles are here if you want to check out past articles.
::: Get This Awesome Self-Care eBook For FREE :::
Dr. Melissa Sonner’s eBook, Self-Care Simplified, teaches you how to put yourself at the top of your to-do list.
A mother of three, Dr. Sonners stopped taking care of herself, like a lot of us do when we put our children first. That only worked for so long before her world came crashing down. After progressively feeling worse and worse, she had her blood tested and discovered that she had Lyme disease, which then set up shop in her brain and nervous system, giving her encephalitis and meningitis.
Dr. Melissa now often says that contracting Lyme was one of the best things to happen to her because it forced her to make a decision: She could feel this way (or worse) for the rest of her life or take it upon herself to make some major and not-so-easy changes in her life.
She created systems to make it easier to remember to take care of herself—and in the pages of this book, she shares them with you for free.
Need Help Fully Optimizing Your Brain & Body?
I've studied the science, seen first-hand what works and what doesn't, and most importantly, know how to help you make lasting changes to become the best version of yourself – for good. I've also trained an entire army of Kion Coaches, and with our support, you'll no longer have to struggle to decipher conflicting health information, only to end up confused and unmotivated.
Are you looking to achieve peak physical performance? Trying to shed fat or gain lean muscle as fast as possible? Ready to tap into the most cutting-edge health, fitness and longevity protocols? Every day, I work with people just like you to help them achieve their goals with personalized health advice and one-of-a-kind nutrition and fitness plans. My schedule gets filled quickly, so be sure to book your one-on-one consultation with me today.
Kion Coaches are certified in the same holistic approach I take to mind, body, and spiritual health. In addition to being trained by yours truly, these folks are qualified professionals, ranging from personal trainers to nutritionists, chiropractors, elite athletes, psychologists, medical doctors, and more. Just click here to view the full coach directory and to find the ideal coach for you and your unique goals!
– September 12 – 15, 2019: RUNGA Immersion, Napa Valley, CA. I attend this total mind-body reboot retreat each year with my wife, Jessa, to connect with a handful of friends and YOU can one of them! I would love if you could join me at this retreat. Click here for details on this incredible event!
– September 27 – 29, 2019: Spartan World Championships, Squaw Valley, CA. Right beside Lake Tahoe, this epic venue was once host to the 1960 Olympic Winter Games. Join me there for the greatest obstacle course race in North Tahoe Lake, Olympic Village, CA. Sign up here!
– October 26: SoCal Beast and Sprint Spartan, Tejon Ranch, Lebec CA. One of the more picturesque courses on the Spartan circuit, Tejon Ranch offers virtually untouched land with steep inclines, rugged mountains, oak-covered rolling hills, and heavily wooded valleys. Click here to sign up, and try not to get too distracted by the breathtaking views.
– November 23: AT&T Park Stadium Sprint Spartan, San Francisco, CA. When was the last time you got to run around a major league baseball field? Expect to be thrown a few curve balls (so to speak) as you navigate staircases, dugouts, and tunnels that make up the AT&T Park’s five levels. Sign up here.
Featured Product: Kion Bar
One of my favorite things to grab when I'm traveling, running out the door for a long hike or adventure, or when I'm just hankerin' for a delicious chocolatey snack, is the Kion Bar.
This bar is something I formulated specifically for active individuals who need a clean, real-food source of energy on the go. It's hypoallergenic and guilt-free, and jam-packed with a unique blend of ingredients that support energy without excess carbohydrates or artificial ingredients. Chia seeds, almonds, coconut, and cacao nibs also give it an amazing crunch and texture that's much more satisfying to eat than the gooey mash that makes up your average energy bar.
And if you're looking for a more “indulgent” way to eat these things, try them with a piping hot cup of coffee—or my favorite—crumbled on top of some Oatmeal Cookie Halo Top ice cream. Bon appetit.
This Week's Most Popular Instagram Post:
This Week's Most Popular Tweet:
Damn. Thought. Provoking. https://t.co/Fyeoi2Z6Ip
— Ben Greenfield (@bengreenfield) September 11, 2019
My Most Popular Facebook Post This Week:
I’m often asked how I structure my day and what a typical daily routine looks like. Admittedly, I pack a LOT into my day…
Leave your comments below – and any news or discoveries that you think I missed!